so... guitars...?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
ZrowsN1s

Re: so... guitars...?

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I have a bunch of no name electric and acoustics. Knock-off Gibsons. Ibanez bass. No name drum set. I've had some very nice guitars come and go, my uncle is a professional and used my modest music studio for storage. My favorites being his Santa Cruz acoustic and PRS Santana 10 top electric.

I have a few little amps, but like to use line6 amp emulators and just play through my home entertainment speakers.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i forgot to make it back to this thread to post my gear, but last night was very special for me. i started this guitar project almost 13 years ago after my oldest son was born. lots of stuff life stuff has caused delays in getting it done, but mostly my own insecurities about my capabilities. well, she's all together now and i can't wait to start my next project (with hopefully a much shorter wait).

here she is!

i've got lots of other gear too, but i'll just start with this one for now.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Beautiful LB ! Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Back in my younger days I did play guitar for a while until I had to take on a full time job after high school. But I did develop an appreciation for high quality instruments. I seen several of the high end rock stars in concert throughout the years and I was amazed at how most of the guys gravitated either toward Gibson or Fender. Personally I found much more to like about Fender for that genre of music than I did the Gibsons.

Albeit one of the greatest guitarist that never got much recognition was Jethro Tulls lead guitarist Martin Lancelot Barre. Barre played a Gibson better than anyone I ever seen. And Ritchie Blackmore played a Fender in splendid fashion as well.

These guys were so talented but yet never got all the recognition they deserved. There was one major brand of guitar ( especially bass guitars) that don't seem to get much recognition. I'm speaking of Richenbacker who I feel also makes some great instruments. Even though their quality is right up there with the rest of them you rarely hear of anyone speaking highly of them. I've wondered why?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:30 am
prndltech wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:34 pm
hah, funny you should say that; I always thought bassists were the coolest of musicians :zany I mean, look at Nathan East...

but yeah, you're right, I'm looking at an inexpensive Squier Mustang than I can just learn on and not fret about it
When it comes to bass guitar players two of them that stood out to me were Trevor Bolder ( David Bowie fame) and Roger Glover ( Deep Purple fame). Bolder played a Rickenbacker the two times I seen him. I don't remember what Roger Glover played but he sure was good at it.

One more bass player who should be on the Mt. Rushmore of bass players was Jack Bruce ( original Cream member). Boy this thread brings back some awesome memories.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

My two favorite bass players are Geddy Lee of RUSH and Pino Palladino. They both are on a different level from the rest IMO.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Makunochimaster wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:38 pm
Old schooll heavy/ blues 🤦🏻‍♂️

Nice 80ies looks, love it, that's when I started playing electric guitar... also rather heavy ;) (after learning to play the piano for ten years from age 6 on, here in the town where Mozart was born... :winking-tongue )
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I have a few. Gibson lp special just solid mahogany put the 81 and 85 in it. Gibson explorer black standard(suffered a little water damage from the hurricane). 90s ESP M2 custom with a Kahler made FR made in Japan . Jackson soloist I think with black flamed maple top made in Japan. Epiphone acoustic/electric. I must have played 20 guitars in guitar center before I settled on that one. I don't really play much anymore just mess around. Amps: I have an old crate 2x12 and a 10" Marshall for playing in the house.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:12 pm
my new year resolution is going to be pick up bass guitar
So… did you get that mustang bass?!
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

prndltech wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:29 pm
JonLeBlanc wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:12 pm
my new year resolution is going to be pick up bass guitar
So… did you get that mustang bass?!
saving my pennies, almost there!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Joelc73

Post by Joelc73 »

Subscribed
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

Me and my older brother are amateur singer song writers. I play a cheap Chinese made Mitchel, which is Guitar Centers' house brand, that cost around $100, and my brother plays an Alvarez that is a bit nicer which probably cost around $300. Both acoustic dreadnoughts, my brothers has a cutaway at the bottom, a pick-up and a tuner on it.

I am not greatly talented on guitar and don't have much money, so I don't spend much time daydreaming about what I could get, though it would be nice to upgrade someday if possible. I'm happy with what I got, it was on sale and plays as well as Yamahas in the $150 range while sounding a little better. Slightly tough doing bar chords, but otherwise plays pretty well given the price. I've had it for perhaps 8 years now. I think it suits my needs.

I have a passion for music and have written quite a few songs. Between me and my brother we have over fifty. While I'm not stellar at guitar, I understand the basics well, and I have been told on occasion that my songs are quite good. Our style of music is diverse, often folksy, with a blend of influence from such artists as Peter, Paul, and Mary, Tenth Avenue North, and Andrew Peterson, then add a bit of something Irish in there too. Then we have stuff very different that covers everything from Sci-Fi inspiration to pirate songs. I have little interest in trying to make any sort income off of my music because it has so much conviction behind it, I don't want the message to be diluted by the influence of money. However I would like to share some of it eventually. Me and my brother actually bought equipment and recorded a whole album's worth of songs we made up for a book series we enjoyed. It had written songs without music, so we made some music and sang it. I also like playing Christian praise and worship for my family.
Last edited by Scandi Grind on Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

“I only need one guitar”

Said nobody, ever…..
Joelc73

Post by Joelc73 »

Guitars are my real addiction! I have a bunch of fun stuff. Mostly basses but some cool six strings as well.