New to knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
FloydPink

New to knives

Post by FloydPink »

Hey all, I just recently got back into knives as a hobby. I grew up watching cutlerylover on youtube and always dreamed of owning a Spyderco, but my lack of money (and responsibility) as a teen prevented me from ever owning one. Most of my friends had all kinds of gear, so whenever we'd go camping or do anything outdoorsy I'd just borrow their extras - which is how I made it by for years without ever owning my own stuff.

That brings us to present day, where I'm an adult with some legit spending money now! I recently bought my first knife, a Para 3 lightweight. I've done some reading about different steels and their advantages/disadvantages but wanted to hear from the pros on this forum about caring for my new blade. Wondering, what kind of real-world corrosion resistance have people experienced with CTS-BD1N? How about edge retention?

I'm also looking at a couple other knives (need to buy another knife so I can open the package on a new new knife with my new knife, of course) and I'm wondering the same about CPM M4.

Lastly, any general advice for someone getting into the hobby? Looking forward to reading everyone's responses, thanks!
sal

Re: New to knives

Post by sal »

Hi FloydPink,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Makunochimaster

Post by Makunochimaster »

s110v retention edge better than m4 and doesn't rust
Native 5 cpm-s110v G10. Native 5 cpm-s110v frn.
Lil' Native MB cpm-s30v. Dragonfly 2 zdp-189.
Delica 4 cts-204p limited. Cricket Nishijin blk vg10.
Urban n690co. Persistence s35vn lightweight.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Welcome, FloydPink! :smlling-eyes

Concerning steels: You might want to check out this article by Dr. Larrin Thomas (also active on this forum) https://knifesteelnerds.com/2021/10/19/ ... esistance/

If you scroll down there a bit, there are some charts rating toughness, edge retention and corrosion resistance of many steels, BD1N and M4 included (listed in different charts).

Never had M4 myself, but it is certainly not for you if rust resistance is a priority.

Have experience with BD1N though and love it!! Absolutely seen it does not offer great edge retention, but in relation to how easy it is too sharpen it does for me.
Should be pretty rust proof too.

/ Further tips?

- Well, I personally always recommend trying Spydercos serrated edges, for me they work better i almost any task and are a bit easier to sharpen than plain edges.

- And, speaking of sharpening: If you don't have gear you like for that already I'd invest in some good sharpening device instead of the next knife. My recommendation: Spyderco sharpmaker.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

One more thing:

Your follow up posts most likely won't show up here immediately. See here viewtopic.php?f=11&t=88927 why.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Welcome to the forum!

And to give you a quick answer.
This picture is from my older Manix LW .
The steel is the predecessor from you’re bd1n. So yours is an upgrade compared to this one.
I must admit i do not live near an ocean so i can not speak how you’re knife will act there.
But if you live in a more normal corrosion environment i can tell you you’re knife will not rust from normal use. As you can see in the picture my knife has severe scratches that would normally trigger corrosion sooner then a new blade and there is still nothing to see anywhere so i think you will be happy with the steel in that department.

Edge retention wise it is a basic entry lvl steel for a spyderco. That means it does its job very well.
You can use it for a more then respectable amount off time before you will need to sharpen it again.
But offcourse it will be dulling faster then let’s say cpm s30v and way faster as one of the new super steels. But i will say this that is there for no disadvantage. This steel sharpens very easily and will not be a pain for you if you do not are a sharpening expert. And for me eventhough i can sharpen my knives rather well i would personally for me not call it an disadvantage.

So I think you bought a great knife to start with and you will be very happy with its performance!

JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Hi FloydPink,
One bit of advice I would definitely give is don’t get too hung up on the steel. Focus rather on what you are planning on using the knife for and let that guide you. All of the modern ‘super steels’ are pretty fantastic in one way or another, so don’t stress too much over it unless you have an end use that really pushes you towards a specific characteristic (salt water use may point you firmly towards ultra stainless, for example).

I would also echo Wartstein in that a sharpening system would make an excellent candidate for your next purchase - a blunt knife is neither use nor ornament. I have and regularly use bench stones, a sharp maker, a work sharp guided system, a KME and a bench grinder setup. They all have their strengths, but the sharp maker is by far the most versatile and best bang for your buck.

Have a great day 👍🏻
Al
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

FloydPink wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:53 pm
Hey all, I just recently got back into knives as a hobby. I grew up watching cutlerylover on youtube and always dreamed of owning a Spyderco, but my lack of money (and responsibility) as a teen prevented me from ever owning one. Most of my friends had all kinds of gear, so whenever we'd go camping or do anything outdoorsy I'd just borrow their extras - which is how I made it by for years without ever owning my own stuff.

That brings us to present day, where I'm an adult with some legit spending money now! I recently bought my first knife, a Para 3 lightweight. I've done some reading about different steels and their advantages/disadvantages but wanted to hear from the pros on this forum about caring for my new blade. Wondering, what kind of real-world corrosion resistance have people experienced with CTS-BD1N? How about edge retention?

I'm also looking at a couple other knives (need to buy another knife so I can open the package on a new new knife with my new knife, of course) and I'm wondering the same about CPM M4.

Lastly, any general advice for someone getting into the hobby? Looking forward to reading everyone's responses, thanks!
Just go slow and enjoy the hobby. BD1N is a great “basic” steel that Sal, the own and founder of Spyderco speaks highly of. BD1N is very stainless so just keeping it clean is about all the maintenance you need to do. It is fairly easy to sharpen and will hold an edge reasonably well but nothing like M4.

Like a few said next step is a decent shaper. Get the Spyderco Sharpmaker to maintain the edge and keep it factory sharp. If you want to reprofile the edge, put a new angle on it, or fix major damage you will needed a guided sharpening system or sharpening stones. For those look at Worksharp. They are reasonably priced and sell both versions depending on your preference.

Good luck and have fun with it. My next steel recommendation would be Cruwear. It’s tough, holds and edge well and is “semi-stainless”. If you need stainless try MagnaCut, basicly like Cruwear but stainless.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Welcome to the Forum . Filter through these posts , you have been given some great advice . Steel on the Para 3 is just not a beginner’s steel , works very well . My only advice would be a good sharpening kit and if near a dealer or a knife shows nearby handle knives of interest before purchase . Finding your comfort zone will save you frustration and money in future purchases . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I agree with the advice to go slow. It's easy to get wrapped up in all of this, and very quickly. Get to know that Para 3, what you like and dislike about it over time. It will help making your next decision a lot easier.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen a new member say they suddenly bought 20 knives in 3 weeks. That just puts you in the honeymoon phase and you "love all of them" and never truly figure out, what it is you like about them.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:29 am
I agree with the advice to go slow. It's easy to get wrapped up in all of this, and very quickly. Get to know that Para 3, what you like and dislike about it over time. It will help making your next decision a lot easier.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen a new member say they suddenly bought 20 knives in 3 weeks. That just puts you in the honeymoon phase and you "love all of them" and never truly figure out, what it is you like about them.

Very well put!
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Welcome to the forum Floyd!

I’ll second Gernot’s recommendation above to get yourself a Sharpmaker before you bother buying a second knife.

I’ll also recommend a Lynch NW titanium deep carry pocket clip for your Para 3 LW.

Enjoy your time here!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
FloydPink

Post by FloydPink »

This has been some great Saturday morning reading material, thank you all! As many have mentioned, I'm off to buy a sharpmaker.

sal wrote: Hi FloydPink,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Thanks for the warm welcome Sal, it's awesome to see the founder of the company so involved in the community!

Wartstein wrote: ...
Concerning steels: You might want to check out this article by Dr. Larrin Thomas (also active on this forum) https://knifesteelnerds.com/2021/10/19/ ... esistance/

/ Further tips?

- Well, I personally always recommend trying Spydercos serrated edges, for me they work better i almost any task and are a bit easier to sharpen than plain edges.

- And, speaking of sharpening: If you don't have gear you like for that already I'd invest in some good sharpening device instead of the next knife. My recommendation: Spyderco sharpmaker.
Thanks for that link Warstein, still reading through it but I love how "scientific" it is - just what I needed. Interesting to hear that the serrated edges are easier to sharpen than plain edges. Any reason for that? I'd think a plain edge would be simpler...

apollo wrote: ...But if you live in a more normal corrosion environment i can tell you you’re knife will not rust from normal use...
Glad to hear it apollo, your Mainx lw looks great btw :cheap-sunglasses

WilliamMunny wrote: Just go slow and enjoy the hobby...

Like a few said next step is a decent shaper...

My next steel recommendation would be Cruwear...
Yes, definitely need to temper my excitement. The Para 3 lw is just so cool though! I saw that DLT trading cruwear Endela in od green, very tempting. But as many have said, including yourself, sharpmaker is priority #1.

Manixguy@1994 wrote: ...My only advice would be a good sharpening kit and if near a dealer or a knife shows nearby handle knives of interest before purchase . Finding your comfort zone will save you frustration and money in future purchases...
I hear ya, I don't live close to any dealers but I am headed to Denver in a few months for vacation so I might have to make a stop in Golden.

TkoK83Spy wrote: I agree with the advice to go slow. It's easy to get wrapped up in all of this, and very quickly. Get to know that Para 3, what you like and dislike about it over time. It will help making your next decision a lot easier.

Great point, I'll be in the honeymoon phase with this Para 3 lw for a bit I'm sure.

wrote: ...I’ll second Gernot’s recommendation above to get yourself a Sharpmaker before you bother buying a second knife.

I’ll also recommend a Lynch NW titanium deep carry pocket clip for your Para 3 LW...
Sounds goods, sharpmaker will be my next buy. But those Lynch deep carry clips must be pretty popular, I see them come up a lot!
Zipper

Post by Zipper »

Hello FloydPink. I am just reiterating what others have said.
Too much disposable income too early, can lead to a whole lot of unnecessary purchases and usually amounts to one big expensive mistake. I learnt that from working in a gun shop. Luckily most things can be sold off to recover some cost.
My advice? Use what you have. Work out what you really need (if using) and what you really want (if collecting). Make peace with the fact you will buy more than you actually need or want. Spyderco are good at separating your money from your wallet! Just balance your purchases with your disposable income. Enjoy the hobby. After all, if it’s not fun, why are you doing it.
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

Congrats on your spyderco! To attempt to answer your questions- BD1N is a balanced stainless steel with good corrosion resistance and just OK edge retention. I like corrosion resistance because I don't want to worry about much maintenance. In my experience it's good but not rust proof. I have gotten a little rust spot from kitchen use and neglect of my BD1N knife but these can be removed with some polish. I feel edge retention is overrated for the average joe. My advice is unless you're is cutting tough materials all day long there's no need to "upgrade" your steel. You already have a sick knife that is far above the performance of most stuff you could buy. Just use it hard as you want and sharpen or touch up the blade every so often. No need to really do much. Don't take apart the knife or mess with the pivot. I also don't think an aftermarket clip is worth the money since the OEM wire clip is nice and I consider it a selling point of the lightweight version. Honestly just wipe the blade if you cut something corrosive or get it in saltwater and you're good. Get a sharpening stone eventually. You will prolly buy more knives but this one could last you decades if you want it to.
Last edited by spydergoat on Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

FloydPink wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:53 pm
Congrats on being an adult with disposable income to spend on knives and welcome to the hobby :D

CTS-BD1N rates quite highly on corrosion resistance, and resists corrosion even better than VG-10 (Spyderco's other non-PM stainless steel of choice), at least according to Dr. Larrin's charts. In terms of "real-world" anecdotal evidence, I haven't seen any rust on my Ronin 2 fixed blade in all the years that I've been using it as a small outdoors utility knife, and there have been times when I've put it in its sheath wet and had to wait several days before I could clean it.

Edge retention-wise, again, based on Larrin's numbers, it rates higher than other ingot stainless steels like AUS-8, 14C28N, AEB-L, and Nitro-V, but below steels such as VG-10, 154CM, 440C, and N690. That more or less aligns with my own personal experience with CTS-BD1N (and its earlier incarnation, CTS-BD1). It's more-than-adequate for everyday-carry/utility use in terms of edge-holding. Heck, I think properly heat-treated 420HC is still perfectly fine for EDC/utility despite what YouTube influencers will tell you.
Learn to sharpen and get some decent sharpening tools. You don't have to get to the level of an advanced enthusiast or professional sharpener like a lot of folks in this community, but get your skill to the point where you can reliably get your knife back to factory-sharp, at least. You can have a knife with the most advanced particle metallurgy steel in the world but it will still eventually get dull, and if you can't get it back to sharp, all you have is a very expensive pointy object. I suggest getting a Spyderco Sharpmaker. It's not only a great system for quick touch-ups of your knife's edge, it can also be used to fully reprofile a knife if you set it up like a benchstone—a feature a lot of people forget that it has. I also suggest getting the add-on diamond or CBN rods for the Sharpmaker, as these will greatly reduce the time it will take to touch-up/sharpen knives in high hardness, high alloy tool steels and high speed steels.

And to be a bit more philosophical... take the time to appreciate, use, and enjoy the knife (or knives) you have. It's very easy to get into the "gotta catch them all" consumerist mindset, and have your eyes already set on your next purchase before you've even gotten familiar with your most recent one. Everybody's needs and uses (and budget) for a folding knife are different, and ultimately, you're still the most qualified person to figure out what best works for you in terms of knife design and materials.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Hi FloydPink-welcome to the show…I can’t really add anything to what great advice has already been given except to say I have some experience with BD1N and it’s fantastic…I don’t shy away from hard use and my Para 3 lw/Manix 2 lw have held up nicely…I probably wouldn’t go swimming in salt water w/one,but I have thrown a lot at mine… easy to sharpen and I’m no expert…good luck in your journey to the dark side of the moon👊

Skar

Post by Skar »

You will find out because you just dove right in with steel curiosity. All these charts and opinions are going to have you wanting one of each, And So it goes.

M4 is great and I really enjoy using it. I have it on a gb2 and it performs like no other.
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

+1 for sharpmaker.
When i first started out with collecting (the original native was my first spyderco) what i thought was ‘sharpening’ a knife was in fact reprofiling, so i would diligently reprofile a knife when it got dull (on a gatco guided system). When i FINALLY got around to getting a sharpmaker, i facepalmed for a full three days while i recalled all the wasted time and overly acute bevels that i had left in the wake of my ignorance. Don’t be a cheddarnut, get a sharpmaker and throw a fresh edge on your para 3 in less time than it takes to read through this thread.
And +1 for starving yourself of new blades until one full year of using what you have. A knife is a friend, develop a solid relationship with it-the first cut is the deepest-and then develop a harem of flashy cutcubines that you cut with on special dedicated occasions-green knives for st. patricks day, anything from st. Nicks for Christmas season etc etc.
msum

Post by msum »

Zipper wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:28 pm
Hello FloydPink. I am just reiterating what others have said.
Too much disposable income too early, can lead to a whole lot of unnecessary purchases and usually amounts to one big expensive mistake. I learnt that from working in a gun shop. Luckily most things can be sold off to recover some cost.
My advice? Use what you have. Work out what you really need (if using) and what you really want (if collecting). Make peace with the fact you will buy more than you actually need or want. Spyderco are good at separating your money from your wallet! Just balance your purchases with your disposable income. Enjoy the hobby. After all, if it’s not fun, why are you doing it.
This is good advice for almost all types of collecting, I reckon.

Sorry, when I say collecting, I mean using. ;-)

Lots of good advice throughout the thread.

One impetus for not buying too much too early is that things go on sale! Not Sprint Runs, though…