Webfoot

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pokey

Re: Webfoot

Post by Pokey »

ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:32 am
JRinFL wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:42 pm
The world needs less senseless waste, so ship them without a fancy box or plastic blister. At least from SFO. Please?
a small linen pouch would be sweet.
Micarta, without the resin!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Buddafucco wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:04 am
KnifeCenter... https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP308C ... uede-pouch

Ordered. Thank you for keeping tabs on this stuff, helps a lot.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
jmj3esq

Post by jmj3esq »

I ordered one just to see what all the hype is about. How well do they work? I assume its the same concept as the Sharpmaker but more portable. Am I on the right path?
Danke

Post by Danke »

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

jmj3esq wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:04 am
I ordered one just to see what all the hype is about. How well do they work? I assume its the same concept as the Sharpmaker but more portable. Am I on the right path?

Exactly, just no loose parts. I'd say the hype is because it does what the Goldenfoot does, which is also quite good, but offers a lower grit and is much lighter weight. It'll be awesome for serration users who need to repair edges in the field but it'll work on any knife/edge type.
~David
harpo1

Post by harpo1 »

Price jumped $6 and some change. Time to order.
--Pete
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

This is really cool but, for me, "in the field" means fishing, and it's about 5 minutes from my house. I would have killed for this in my hunting days. I would still grab one but for the 40º included angle.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Speaking of Webfoot, wasn't there a 15/30 degree base in the works too? Any news on that?
~David
harpo1

Post by harpo1 »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:18 pm
Speaking of Webfoot, wasn't there a 15/30 degree base in the works too? Any news on that?
It comes with it and it can be used with the Golden Stone.
--Pete
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I feel like I really need a YouTube video for this one. How big is it? What are all the features?
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
sal

Post by sal »

Talkin' Story:

I invented the Triangle Sharpmaker in 1978. I invented the Golden Stone/Webfoot (Duckfoot) at the same time. The technology wasn't there to make the design so it sat for many years. We made the "Pro-File" stones as a fill while technology was growing. Patented the Golden Stone concept some 20 odd years later.

When we were finally able to make the concept in a real product, it was the Duckfoot. We built a steel embryo and plated diamonds on to the Embryo. When the technology was there to make the Golden Stone, we made it. While it is quite expensive to make, it is a very unique concept. Then we added the Webfoot to compliment the fine grit stone, and we used CBN instead of diamonds. We finally made a fixture to hold both pieces at 30 degrees inclusive (15 per side).

Now, 45 years later, we are finally able to bring the concept to a production piece available to you. Persistence is King.

sal
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I greatly admire and appreciate that persistence!

I’m really enjoying the CBN rods and plate I have from Spyderco and I’m definitely interested in getting a Webfoot.
It seems really useful and versatile.

I also have big aspirations where I think a portable sharpening system like the Webfoot would prove very handy.

To put it another way, if I achieve some dreams, I’ll probably have had a Spyderco knife and sharpening system with me along the way.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sal wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:17 pm
Talkin' Story:

I invented the Triangle Sharpmaker in 1978. I invented the Golden Stone/Webfoot (Duckfoot) at the same time. The technology wasn't there to make the design so it sat for many years. We made the "Pro-File" stones as a fill while technology was growing. Patented the Golden Stone concept some 20 odd years later.

When we were finally able to make the concept in a real product, it was the Duckfoot. We built a steel embryo and plated diamonds on to the Embryo. When the technology was there to make the Golden Stone, we made it. While it is quite expensive to make, it is a very unique concept. Then we added the Webfoot to compliment the fine grit stone, and we used CBN instead of diamonds. We finally made a fixture to hold both pieces at 30 degrees inclusive (15 per side).

Now, 45 years later, we are finally able to bring the concept to a production piece available to you. Persistence is King.

sal

This is a bit off topic but if anyone would remember it would be you. When I was young my older brother had a sharpening stone that was basically just a cone that stood on the flat big end and the sides of the cone were how you got your sharpening angle. I have no idea what angle it was, and it was a red/brown color kinda like rust and I believe it also had a groove cut down one side. It worked about the same as a Goldenstone except you didn't rock it side to side to change the angle. Was just wondering if you'd ever seen something like that, I've never seen one since.
~David
sal

Post by sal »

Hi David,

I've heard about it, but have never seen one.

sal
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:51 am
sal wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:17 pm
Talkin' Story:

sal

This is a bit off topic but if anyone would remember it would be you. When I was young my older brother had a sharpening stone that was basically just a cone that stood on the flat big end and the sides of the cone were how you got your sharpening angle. I have no idea what angle it was, and it was a red/brown color kinda like rust and I believe it also had a groove cut down one side. It worked about the same as a Goldenstone except you didn't rock it side to side to change the angle. Was just wondering if you'd ever seen something like that, I've never seen one since.
India stone just sintered to a different shape. I think they're still available.
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

Has anyone tried loading the suede case of this or the double stuff with diamond stropping compound?
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

metaphoricalsimile wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:11 pm
Has anyone tried loading the suede case of this or the double stuff with diamond stropping compound?
Nah. Get too much gunk stuck in it.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I have seen folks do this with the double stuff. I have used it raw as a strop, but compound would make it work better.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I keep the edges of my Goldenstone pouch loaded with polishing compound for stropping serrations. It works great.
~David
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

•• Beau