Forum Knife Poll 2024

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JSumm

Re: Forum Knife Poll 2024 is now Live

Post by JSumm »

I was a little shocked the lil Native was this popular over the UKPK, but I guess it makes a little more sense now.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I voted in the survey, and it seemed to accept my vote, but then I noticed I was not logged in. I logged in and tried to vote, assuming my previous vote couldn't have counted, but instead of seeing the poll questions I received an advertisement from Survey Monkey asking if I wanted to create my own polls.

None of this really matters as long as the UKPK wins. ;)

I do think a small "FORUM 24" in an arc under the bug would look nicer than the other choices. No need to say it's a knife, IMO.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Coastal wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:56 pm
I voted in the survey, and it seemed to accept my vote, but then I noticed I was not logged in. I logged in and tried to vote, assuming my previous vote couldn't have counted, but instead of seeing the poll questions I received an advertisement from Survey Monkey asking if I wanted to create my own polls.

That means your vote was accepted, and SM was trying to tell you you'd already voted and that your data was recorded (noted at the top of their irritating ad). There is no login needed to vote in a SM poll.
Last edited by Bolster on Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

Bolster wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:56 pm
I just pulled the raw data, and one IP address has managed to find a way around Survey Monkey's one-per-IP limit. Don't know how they did that, but we have 52 votes from the same IP address, all voting for the Lil Native in the same way. About 2 votes per minute from this one address.
FFS I thought we were almost preserved from these types of shameless people on this forum 🤦‍♂️

Anyway. I voted but after hitting "send", the page went blank. So dunno whether it worked or not.

Also I really wanted to vote for the Lil' Native, but I think a future Lil' Native Slip Joint Lightweight will be the better platform for that ; with its thinner stock and wireclip.
So I chose the UKPK in leaf version, given the drop point doesn't look very versatile.
buckleys

Post by buckleys »

I like the Heinnie Haynes ukpk so much, wouldn't mind another one in a diff steel, and engraving on the back spring seems like a cool touch.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

God protect us from voting shenanigans. I actually voted drop point because I find it more versatile than the leaf version in PE. I do like my LC200N serrated UKPK Salt, tho.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Araignee wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:05 pm

Anyway. I voted but after hitting "send", the page went blank. So dunno whether it worked or not.

That's also an approrpriate return for the survey; I set the survey to "not do anything" after you vote. I pondered having it re-route to the Spyderco page and maybe I should do that. If the blank page is causing questions, I'll do that. OK, done, now re-routes to Spyderco page on termination.

I have done scores of professional polls but few have had me working as hard as this one. Took me awhile to figure out why. Most my polls have been on topics you have to beg, plead, and pay people to take. They don't WANT to take the survey, not twice, not even once. Here, we have a different animal. An individual (data shows it to be only one person) thinks he can get what he wants by gaming the system, so the motivation and the payoff are totally different. Caught me by surprise. "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on ME." I'll be watching for this in the future.

Since I can't use the SM graphics to show results anymore, I have to do them by hand. I'll do another this evening.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

Bolster wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:13 pm
That's also an approrpriate return for the survey; I set the survey to "not do anything" after you vote. I pondered having it re-route to the Spyderco page and maybe I should do that. If the blank page is causing questions, I'll do that. OK, done, now re-routes to Spyderco page on termination.
I think a simple "Your survey answers have been successfully sent" would have been best, but I don't know whether you can configure this on Surveymonkey.

In any case, thanks for the help you're providing the community with 👍
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Such a shame we didn’t have to put our payment details in to vote. I imagine being charged for 52 lil natives would put people off this sort of nonsense.

I’ve voted, but regardless of outcome I would cherish a forum knife in any permutation.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Bolster wrote:
I pondered having it re-route to the Spyderco page
spydeRco or spydeco ?
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Bolster, you are a saint my friend. Thanks for all the work!
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

Dazen wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:04 pm
I just voted 2 time.
Just voted 5 times.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Thank you Bolster for taking this on. Remember, no good deed goes unpunished! Sad, but frequently correct. :disappointed
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Bolster wrote:
Araignee wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:05 pm

I have done scores of professional polls but few have had me working as hard as this one. Took me awhile to figure out why. Most my polls have been on topics you have to beg, plead, and pay people to take. They don't WANT to take the survey, not twice, not even once. Here, we have a different animal. An individual (data shows it to be only one person) thinks he can get what he wants by gaming the system, so the motivation and the payoff are totally different. Caught me by surprise. "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on ME." I'll be watching for this in the future.

Since I can't use the SM graphics to show results anymore, I have to do them by hand. I'll do another this evening.
Thank you again Bolster , find it ironic a member would stoop so low . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Ferruginous

Post by Ferruginous »

A Blue SPY27 UKPK with leaf blade and engraving on the backspacer would be so classy.

Thanks for doing this.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Rinzler wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:26 pm
Just voted 5 times.

Yeah, now there's 4 people entering duplicate votes. It's contagious. Duplicators have been deleted--there is no auto process for this, I have to do it by hand for each tally. (Don't let the duplicators get you mad, there's only 4/96 of them.) With duplicator data removed, here are the stats. Not going to make graphics at this time, but you can see the totals and imagine pie charts in your head!

I don't know how your are going to get the longest inscription onto the backspring. I wouldn't count on that. But at this point there are only 92 legitimate votes (minus 21 not buying), which is far short of 1000 so...I wouldn't count on anything.
Attachments
Mo Nite Stats.png
Last edited by Bolster on Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

No need to engrave Spyderco on the spring backstrap of an iconic Spyderco model that already has the spider etching on the blade. Forum '24 will probably do nicely.

Sal had also asked for choice of grind. I might be blind, but I don't recall seeing an option in the poll for HHG.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

skeeg11 wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:42 pm
Sal had also asked for choice of grind.

By gum, you're right. While working on the poll I (we) overlooked the word 'grind'. We needed you during the vetting process! Given that it's a single question, it can be asked simply, by using the forum's poll option which works fine for single questions. I'd suggest we wait and see if the idea gets off the ground first...see if it gets anywhere near Sal's desired 1000...my suggestion: if/when we get halfway there, and it's looking possible, then ask the grind question.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

At that point would it be useful to ask how many units people intend to buy? I saw several posts stating multiples.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Coastal wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:48 pm
At that point would it be useful to ask how many units people intend to buy? I saw several posts stating multiples.

Agreed, after we see which knife 'wins' the popularity contest. It's likely that some folks will not buy a forum knife if their preferred model is not chosen. And of course Sal gets the final say on which knife is produced, if any, and he's under no obligation to rely on a poll (though he did suggest it).
Last edited by Bolster on Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.