Oil Recs

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sharp24/7

Oil Recs

Post by Sharp24/7 »

What does everyone like to keep their tool steel blades rust free? I tried something from KPL, but still found a few rust spots on my K390 Stretch this morning, so I’m looking for an alternative. Preferably something good safe. Thanks in advance!
ladybug93

Re: Oil Recs

Post by ladybug93 »

frog lube paste is good. it's food safe and has a nice smell. you can rub it on thick if you are storing the knife, or you can wipe off excess when you are carrying it. i've not tried it on any spydercos yet, but i've used it on 1095 and d2 from other companies with good results.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageI forced patina on my Strecth and only use a wipe down with Tri Flow . I use the Stretch regardless of weather with no rust problems . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

I like Frog Lube. I'm using it as the lubricant for a Delica as well. So far, no complaints. A jar of that should last a long time.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I use Vaseline. It is just purified paraffin wax and mineral oil. Wipe on, wipe off, it leaves a film that is food safe. I've never had an issue since I started using it years ago. Thiers Issard, the famous straight razor maker that uses tool steel for their razors also recommends Vaseline by name.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ekastanis

Post by ekastanis »

Typically Eezox if it won't come in contact with food, and Ballistol or mineral oil if it might.

If Frog Lube interests you, you could use coconut oil at a fraction of the cost:
https://www.northeastshooters.com/xen/t ... st.302999/
I don't use either cause they are not very oxidation stable.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

My favorite is Birchwood Casey Barricade.
I've owned some of the stuff that A.G Russell sells, and some Renaissance Wax. Neither one of them seems to protect an M4 blade very well. I also had a can of spray by Royal Purple but it developed a leak and dripped lube all over my workbench. When I discovered that AGR and RenWax didn't protect my M4 I did my own little informal test using some polished nails and various oils that I had. The Barricade worked the best, with Royal Purple second.
You can find lots of these types of informal tests on the internet, none of which include every possible product. And some of the results of various tests disagreed with each other. Whatever product you pick I think you should do your own tests to make sure it works for you.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

food safe (i.e. kitchen knives): mineral oil

otherwise (pocket knives): automatic transmission fluid
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Sharp24/7 wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:10 am
What does everyone like to keep their tool steel blades rust free?

The only time I ended up with actual rust spots on K390 was after I used it to cut some kind of fruit, and had no convenient means for cleaning the blade right away. When I had the opportunity to clean the blade, there were a couple red specks on the blade. So for me, the BEST thing for preventing rust is a quick rinse with WATER.

Aside from that, I periodically lube the pivot and blade surfaces with Ballistol. There are surely other products that will do the job, but I like Ballistol on my guns, so there is always a bottle handy.

TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I use a Tuf-Cloth. Wipe the blade each day as I put it away, and I've never had any problems. I've also used Tuf-Glide, but I prefer the convenience of the cloth.
Toucan

Post by Toucan »

Never had a problem using plain old mineral oil from the laxative aisle at the pharmacy.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:14 am
frog lube paste is good. it's food safe and has a nice smell. you can rub it on thick if you are storing the knife, or you can wipe off excess when you are carrying it. i've not tried it on any spydercos yet, but i've used it on 1095 and d2 from other companies with good results.
I concur. This is the stuff I used and my knives look as good as new when I remember to put some on every month or so (while using them).
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Sharp24/7

Post by Sharp24/7 »

Thanks everyone! Frog Lube was the winner.
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

Post by JoshLikesSekiCityKnives »

Last edited by JoshLikesSekiCityKnives on Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

Post by JoshLikesSekiCityKnives »

Chapstick. I use it in my Endura and Carbon knife blades and scales. Phil Wilson suggested it in his Bow River YouTube video.
Tends to not be runny and has kept rust at bay for me. Clings to the steel far better than oil. And yet can be wiped off easy.
Also useful for dry lips :rofl
As far as pivot points. I use cheap $$$ Kershaw knife oil.
Stas

Post by Stas »

Sharp24/7 wrote:
What does everyone like to keep their tool steel blades rust free? I tried something from KPL, but still found a few rust spots on my K390 Stretch this morning, so I’m looking for an alternative. Preferably something good safe. Thanks in advance!
I find EDCi formula the best. Food safe and dry. Mineral oil and ballistol is ok, but I don't like to carry oily blades.
If you don't mind waxes, Renaissance wax of Flitz wax is highly recommended.

May I ask which product from KPL did you tried? Knife Shield?
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.
Sharp24/7

Post by Sharp24/7 »

Stas wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:47 am
Sharp24/7 wrote:
I find EDCi formula the best. Food safe and dry. Mineral oil and ballistol is ok, but I don't like to carry oily blades.
If you don't mind waxes, Renaissance wax of Flitz wax is highly recommended.

May I ask which product from KPL did you tried? Knife Shield?
That’s the one. Cleans the blade well, was just those rust spots that made me want to try a different product.
WyoJon

Post by WyoJon »

Balistol