Spyderedged Sprint Runs: About Time Isn't It?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
twinboysdad

Re: Spyderedged Sprint Runs: About Time Isn't It?

Post by twinboysdad »

I just wish full SE was under stood to have a bit more PE at the tip. Just grabbed a SE Leafjumper and the PE tip is between 1/8 and 1/4 of an inch tops. 3/4 to 1” would be preferred
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

twinboysdad wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:25 pm
I just wish full SE was under stood to have a bit more PE at the tip. Just grabbed a SE Leafjumper and the PE tip is between 1/8 and 1/4 of an inch tops. 3/4 to 1” would be preferred
a full inch of plain edge on a serrated blade? couldnt picture it personally
:bug-red-white
Current “dream collection” of knives
temperance 1, lil temperance 1 serrated leaf, black micarta calypso jr & calypso, cocobolo kopa, stainless serrated harpy, stainless cricket
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:30 pm
twinboysdad wrote:
Look up the old SE Military pics, they had discernible PE to work with
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Yeah, I think it depends on the model.
Some, like the Military, I might like with the longer PE tip section, but the Rockjumper/LeafJumper are literally the last knives where I’d want that.

My Rockjumper has just under 1/2 an inch of PE tip and I think that’s perfect.
That’s because I’m looking for as much reach and aggressive cutting with those serrations as possible in that design, for roles I’m pushing it into. Like literally reaching way out and cutting something.
The Rockjumper is compact, so it’s a much more significant loss of teeth than the longer Military where it’s more like your gaining plain edge instead.

I think my preferences can be pretty specialized, though.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

I know I'm in the minority here, but I prefer the serrations to be closer to the tip like the Byrd serrations. I always have a PE blade on me anyway. On a serrated blade, I want max teeth. :zany
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

twinboysdad wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:31 pm
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:30 pm
twinboysdad wrote:
Look up the old SE Military pics, they had discernible PE to work with
As many times as we have heard requests for the return of the C-36 Military model with a full Spyderedge option I think it's high time that maybe we even start a separate thread on just that model.

The two of those I had with 440V blade steel were great for hard uses>>which by the way 440V a great blade steel for full SE models ( one of my favorite SE blade steels). How much better of a way to determine if some of the newer steels like "Magnacut" is a great blade steel for full SE models>> and the C-36 Militar model with TEETH should be high on everyone's list>> even the company
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Been fiddling with my MagnaCut Native 5 this morning, and man is it an amazing time to be a knife guy or what? This knife is the stuff of the future. If you went back just 40 years with this knife it would be like taking an AR-15 into the Civil War, it would seem so futuristic and advanced. I think we sometimes forget how far we've come.

Anyway, this knife being standard production is outstanding. If I can get SE MagnaCut in my favorite models I'll have no need for sprints anymore.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

Magnacut SE that good, huh. I’m woefully ignorant on both SE and Magnacut, what makes it so special?
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Foehammer wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:14 am
Magnacut SE that good, huh. I’m woefully ignorant on both SE and Magnacut, what makes it so special?

I did mean specifically for SE sprint runs in particular, I would still be open to other types of sprints and I guess really I'd still like to try other steels with serrations so I may have overstated that one a bit, it's just (so far) seeming to be great for serrations.

Special is gonna depend a lot on your preferences and that's a whole other topic aside from MagnaCut.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Kleon

Post by Kleon »

I definitely support a sprint c36 in full SE. My old school c36 in full SE 440v is thankfully still going strong.

On a recent note I had to use my backup Lil Temperance 3 LW SE this morning while on patrol and it is quite a good performer.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Kleon wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:48 pm
I definitely support a sprint c36 in full SE. My old school c36 in full SE 440v is thankfully still going strong.

On a recent note I had to use my backup Lil Temperance 3 LW SE this morning while on patrol and it is quite a good performer.
If Spyderco happened to have some old bar stock of 440V laying around in their warehouse and wanted to use it up on a fully serrated Sprint Run Military model I wouldn't complain in the least. Actually I would be in line for one. Because 440V was a great steel for full SE blades.

Or they could use any excess bar stock they might have left over. Some of the following old blade steels were great in full SE: AUS-8, AUS-10, ATS-34, ATS-55 ect>> I'm just saying it might be a great way to get this done without investing a lot of dough. If it is an option. ++