SPK Lamia colab

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
aicolainen

Re: SPK Lamia colab

Post by aicolainen »

Fireman wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:12 am
Love the minimalist hardware and the form. Just would love a large enough handle for big hands. Spydiechef is the smallest I can go without being a pain. Much love for the LC200N and just got my first Vanax knife that could make this a double duty food prep knife. I like the look of the non textured handles for the sake of keeping it clean in design and the practical side of ease of cleaning.
I was really just following this thread with a half eye until you pointed this out. The grip area on the Spydiechef may be the most perfectly sized on any Spyderco, for my hand.

My interest in titanium frame locks are almost non existent at this point, but my hunt for Spyderco's that are a perfect ergonomic match to my hand is not likely to ever come to a halt, no matter the flavor it comes in.

IMO titanium is best matched with a very stainless steel and MC would of course be very high on that list.

Following with much increased interest :)
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

The Spydiechef is a gem and there are a few resemblances. I am not sure Vanax would come out of a factory Spyderco but LC200N would be a great choice for this knife imho from Taiwan or Magnacut from Golden. I heard great things about the ergonomics of this knife. Spyderco can turn a $700 semi custom knife into more of a blue collar knife around $300. That will be a win for everyone. A spyderco hole will make this even more desirable for me.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

The next Slysz Bowie?
/ David
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Re-examining the handle it appears that it should work for my hands on the smaller size for my comfort. I appreciate the great handle to blade length ratio on this. I just found another must have knife. I hope this gets the wire clip like the Chef does as controversial as that sounds. I also hope that there can be a deep carry solution.
SPK_ULTD

Post by SPK_ULTD »

Fireman wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:16 am
MaxFactor wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:31 pm
nerdlock wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:36 am
Hi Alex, if this collab ever materializes in the far, far future, please kindly make the clips ambidextrous...thanks! From all lefties out there.
😉
I like to be inclusive but man I really feel like left-handed clip mounting holes have spoiled the aesthetics of a ton of otherwise perfect knives, simply to appease less than 10% of users.
Sadly, yes. I would like to see more manufacturers selling lefties like Spyderco does on the Millie as an option for those who love the aesthetic of a clean looking knife such as this. After market scales fixes this for some models.

I’ll be working on transferring over the geometry for southpaw versions very soon. I have some revisions I’m working on and after those are finalized and proven, it’ll be transferred over. Deff want to cater to lefties for sure!
Stay Hydrated...
SPK_ULTD

Post by SPK_ULTD »

sal wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:56 pm
Hi Bk.Obamah, SPK_ULDB,

Welcome to our forum.

Hi Alex,

Thanx much for jumping on that. Appreciate. The crew is already in Las Vegas for SHOT. Our Alex will watch for it and it will surely go to Amsterdam and IWA.

sal

Thank you Sal!
Stay Hydrated...
Rusty_Shackelford

Post by Rusty_Shackelford »

Haven’t handled a Lamia in person, but the grind looks very thin behind the edge. I’d love to see that carry over to the collaboration.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Sonorum wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:32 am
The next Slysz Bowie?
You mean the next knife that everyone ignores until it gets discontinued, then cries because some toober says it's great and they missed out? Probably.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

sal wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:19 pm
Hi Alex,

I guess that's you (SPK). What is the model name of the model shown? Where are you located?

Would you be interested in making a sample for us? We would need the basic model, but with a 12mm diam. round opening hole 1.1" from the pivot (center to center).

I don't think you could get one to us before the SHOT show, where we show "Concept Models" for feedback. But you might be able to get one to us before the Amsterdam meet, where we also show and discuss "Concept Models" with a group of "Knife afi's (aficianados).

sal
I don't want to derail this thread, as I'm also interested in this collaboration, but I have a more general question regarding the distance between the round hole and pivot. It seems relatively standardized and consistent across various designs, with some small variation. Is there a particular reason(s) for maintaining this distance and how much variation does Spyderco typically allow? Just something I've been curious about since reading your comment and measuring all of my spydercos.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Cl1ff wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:55 pm
sal wrote:
Hi Alex,

I guess that's you (SPK). What is the model name of the model shown? Where are you located?

Would you be interested in making a sample for us? We would need the basic model, but with a 12mm diam. round opening hole 1.1" from the pivot (center to center).

I don't think you could get one to us before the SHOT show, where we show "Concept Models" for feedback. But you might be able to get one to us before the Amsterdam meet, where we also show and discuss "Concept Models" with a group of "Knife afi's (aficianados).

sal
I don't want to derail this thread, as I'm also interested in this collaboration, but I have a more general question regarding the distance between the round hole and pivot. It seems relatively standardized and consistent across various designs, with some small variation. Is there a particular reason(s) for maintaining this distance and how much variation does Spyderco typically allow? Just something I've been curious about since reading your comment and measuring all of my spydercos.
My Native is a bit harder to open than any of my other Spydies. I could be wrong, but I think they moved the opening hold closer to the pivot on that model, to accommodate the humbless design. It also may just be that the opening hole is occluded a bit by the handle.

My favorite knives utilize a 14mm opening hole, but I have big hands.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

Cl1ff wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:55 pm
sal wrote:
Hi Alex,

sal
Yes, there is a reason for maintaining the specified distance for where the hole is placed. Contrary to many peoples' reactions of "it's just a hole... how can you patent a hole?" there was, I believe, a lot of research and development that Spyderco did to refine the size and position of the hole to optimize opening and closing. I remember this being referenced in a thread long ago, and Sal's very specific guidance now supports that. In terms of how much variation there can be in hole placement, I don't know.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

:squinting-tongue :rofl :rofl
yablanowitz wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:09 pm
Sonorum wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:32 am
The next Slysz Bowie?
You mean the next knife that everyone ignores until it gets discontinued, then cries because some toober says it's great and they missed out? Probably.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I did notice the pivot being lower and farther forward than on the Spydiechef, which makes a longer blade to handle ratio possible. It looks like a really nice design.
T5BRICK

Post by T5BRICK »

Owner of a S90v Lamia chiming in…

I’d love to see what Spyderco can do with this. I’d definitely buy one.
SacagaweaBuffaloFlop

Post by SacagaweaBuffaloFlop »

I just wanted to pop in and show my support for this collab!
sphill

Post by sphill »

Any update on this project? I’d love to have a Spyderco produced Lamia.

Make it happen.
xX2Slow4U

Post by xX2Slow4U »

Would absolutely buy a SpydieLamia! Maybe even 2 or 3 given the chance
Insomniac912

Post by Insomniac912 »

Definitely need to get these into more hands. Very well thought out design. Judging by the last book spot lotto seems like there is a huge market for them as well.
Attachments
Img_2023_04_01_10_43_04.jpeg
murkyocean

Post by murkyocean »

I fully support all of Alex's work. A collab between Alex and Spyderco would a be great profit to both businesses. SPYDERCO REPS GET ON WITH IT! MAKE THIS HAPPEN
Baconswagfl

Post by Baconswagfl »

SpydieLamia, yes please! But what steel are we going to see????
Attachments
20230323_142930.jpg