A tale of two PM2s

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mrj

Re: A tale of two PM2s

Post by Mrj »

Mushroom wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:32 am
The tang on that knife is only a problem if you want it to be. Otherwise, it’s fine and will have no affect on function at all.
Honestly I never inspected my knives to this degree. I usually open the box and flick lol. If it locks and unlocks a few times I give it the once over and carry on.
MRj “Weak things break!”
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

jalcon wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:54 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:47 am
I certainly do respect your "problem" and that the way that tang looks bothers you!

But that said and honestly:

I personally would most likely never even have noticed that tiny "imperfection" (I´d even argue if it IS that or rather just a variation) - which furthermore can only be seen with a closed blade and very thoroughly and deliberately looking at a specific area.

An if I noticed it, it would not bother me at all - I mean, everything works perfectly fine, right? Even exceptionally fine as you say.

I´d even say a slight variation makes a knife more unique and personal, more "your" knife... don´t know if that helps, but perhaps you could try and see the "issue" more from that point of view?
Thanks. You know, I'm pretty OCD about things I spend some money on. Everything I buy whether it be a knife, gun, you name it...I find something wrong on. It's like a mental curse. Def something I gotta work on!

Thanks for your reply, jalcon, and that you don´t take my comment personally in any way!

You know, I guess I am quite the complete opposite of you :smlling-eyes :
I do like varations / slight imperfections, as long as functionality is not impaired or just slightly. I do like a knife the more the more it gets and looks used, gets scratched and dinged up and by that more personal, individual and - for me - more beautiful and "un-boring". Telling a story so to speak.
I respect, but just can´t "feel" concerns about slightly off centered blades (as long as they don´t rub at the scales) or cosmetic marks that the production process might leave.

But in my book we both too are just "variations", in this case variations of knife enthusiasts. Nothing wrong with you, nothing wrong with me, to each their own. ;)

But of course: If you are at a point where your "ocd" actually starts to bother you and making your life less enjoyable as it could be, cause you find bothersome imperfections almost always, perhaps working on it would be a good idea (I am saying this only cause you yourself called it a "curse" in your post).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

PM2s:

Para 3s:

Shamans:

All have pretty sweet action. The far left Para 3 is the worst, it’s just a bit too loose and I can’t fix it.

I think what you’re seeing is likely the acceptable range of variation when it comes to mid-range production folders. If both knives look good, cut well, operate safely and smoothly, I think you’re in the clear.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:47 am
jalcon wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:54 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:47 am
I certainly do respect your "problem" and that the way that tang looks bothers you!

But that said and honestly:

I personally would most likely never even have noticed that tiny "imperfection" (I´d even argue if it IS that or rather just a variation) - which furthermore can only be seen with a closed blade and very thoroughly and deliberately looking at a specific area.

An if I noticed it, it would not bother me at all - I mean, everything works perfectly fine, right? Even exceptionally fine as you say.

I´d even say a slight variation makes a knife more unique and personal, more "your" knife... don´t know if that helps, but perhaps you could try and see the "issue" more from that point of view?
Thanks. You know, I'm pretty OCD about things I spend some money on. Everything I buy whether it be a knife, gun, you name it...I find something wrong on. It's like a mental curse. Def something I gotta work on!

Thanks for your reply, jalcon, and that you don´t take my comment personally in any way!

You know, I guess I am quite the complete opposite of you :smlling-eyes :
I do like varations / slight imperfections, as long as functionality is not impaired or just slightly. I do like a knife the more the more it gets and looks used, gets scratched and dinged up and by that more personal, individual and - for me - more beautiful and "un-boring". Telling a story so to speak.
I respect, but just can´t "feel" concerns about slightly off centered blades (as long as they don´t rub at the scales) or cosmetic marks that the production process might leave.

But in my book we both too are just "variations", in this case variations of knife enthusiasts. Nothing wrong with you, nothing wrong with me, to each their own. ;)

But of course: If you are at a point where your "ocd" actually starts to bother you and making your life less enjoyable as it could be, cause you find bothersome imperfections almost always, perhaps working on it would be a good idea (I am saying this only cause you yourself called it a "curse" in your post).
For sure. You know, I definitely don't mind battle scars, be it on a knife...gun...my truck...whatever...but I want to be the reason it's there, lol.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

The lock interface has to be fitted to the lockbar. They must test and see if the fit is good, if it's not, my guess is it has to be tuned :open-grin
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

Here is another pic of what I'm talking about. The extra metal hanging down on the bottom left. I'm not sure or would effect anything though.