Was the Nirvana just too expensive?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bearfacedkiller

Re: Was the Nirvana just too expensive?

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I handled one and it had lock stick so bad that I couldn’t unlock it with both thumbs. I asked to see another and it was almost as bad. I had zero interest after that.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
akapennypincher

Post by akapennypincher »

Bugatti is cool car not everyone can own, $700.00 Knife is cheap.😇
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

The Nirvana was by no means too expensive, in fact most prospective buyers didn't have enough money for it or didn't want to spend that much money on a Spydie. I didn't buy one myself either.
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Not my cuppa, cost not least.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

akapennypincher wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:52 am
:rofl

When you compare a $1,700,000 car to a $700 knife, of course the knife seems inexpensive. Thats not exactly a rational comparison.

———

I don’t think the Nirvana was too expensive. I believe there were other factors beyond just price and sales numbers that lead to it being discontinued. Judging by what some people are willing to pay on the secondary market for one of these knives, I think the only way it could be too expensive is by exceeding the cost of an actual Peter Rassenti custom.

The Paysan is even more expensive than the Nirvana was but that doesn’t seem to stay in stock anywhere for long when it does show up. There are obviously people with the means and desire to pay that much money for a knife.
-Nick :bug-red
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

The biggest knock against it was not being full flat grind.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

How much is a custom from Peter these days?
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

GarageBoy wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:01 pm
How much is a custom from Peter these days?

A custom Nirvana goes for about $2K.

https://www.arizonacustomknives.com/kni ... nti-peter/
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
SpyderVol

Post by SpyderVol »

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Too good to be true, it probably is. I wouldn't even click that link at such a ridiculous price.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Yeah, that site was discussed in the counterfeit section. I suggest justokfolderknife.com as better alternative. Kidding on the last part.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

skeeg11 wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:25 pm
kennethsime wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:20 pm
skeeg11 wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:54 pm
Bemo wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:58 pm
The 0470 is the only ZT I have. And to keep this on track, when I saw the pic of the Nirvana I saw the resemblence as well. I have more confidence in the heat treat and actions from Spyderco. Were this or the Paisan less expensive I'd be seriously tempted.
If the Nirvana's pedigree is of interest, check out the Lochsa.
Wow, that is a gorgeous knife.
I could be wrong, but I believe he was one of the first if not the first to do a monoblock titanium RIL.
Correct. Scott Cook was the first custom knifemaker to offer an integral, titanium, frame lock folder. Table price, when I bought mine in 2003(?), was $495, $505 for the reverse finish (I got the reverse finish).
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

I think Jim O’Young’s SpeedTech Synergy was the first integral frame folder and it won the Most Innovative American Design at the 1999 BLADE Show. WE Knife currently makes several versions and sizes of his updated Synergy2 integral titanium frame lock folder.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

dsvirsky wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:50 pm
skeeg11 wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:25 pm
kennethsime wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:20 pm
skeeg11 wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:54 pm

If the Nirvana's pedigree is of interest, check out the Lochsa.
Wow, that is a gorgeous knife.
I could be wrong, but I believe he was one of the first if not the first to do a monoblock titanium RIL.
Correct. Scott Cook was the first custom knifemaker to offer an integral, titanium, frame lock folder. Table price, when I bought mine in 2003(?), was $495, $505 for the reverse finish (I got the reverse finish).
Mine is #11 and never leaves the house.
akapennypincher

Mushroom wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:18 pm
akapennypincher wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:52 am
:rofl

When you compare a $1,700,000 car to a $700 knife, of course the knife seems inexpensive. Thats not exactly a rational comparison.

———

I don’t think the Nirvana was too expensive. I believe there were other factors beyond just price and sales numbers that lead to it being discontinued. Judging by what some people are willing to pay on the secondary market for one of these knives, I think the only way it could be too expensive is by exceeding the cost of an actual Peter Rassenti custom.

The Paysan is even more expensive than the Nirvana was but that doesn’t seem to stay in stock anywhere for long when it does show up. There are obviously people with the means and desire to pay that much money for a knife.

The Bugatti I listed over was 3.5 Million, the knife pocket change at $700.00.

I Smoke Cigars some are pricy. What you pleasure?

Love going to custom knife show, but I go to look at functional art.🥳
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

kennethsime wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:30 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:34 pm
kennethsime wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:57 pm
ZT has many examples in the $200-300 range.
Take a look at the ZT 0470. Earlier in this thread I mentioned I was (once again) considering a small Shiro (Neon NL). I still am but then I take out my ZT 0470 and wonder why. Maybe I got a good one but the action on my 0470 is exactly how I imagine a Shiro. I really like the blade shape and handle too
It looks like a killer knife, but I think the 0450 looks a little closer to my style. I’ve handled a few ZTs over the years, but most just don’t speak to me. Hmm… good price points at ZT, though.
I have both 0450 and 0470. They're both nice but the 0450 isn't as awesome as the 0470
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

skeeg11 wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:08 pm

Mine is covered in snail trails and was part of my regular carry rotation for quite some time. It still makes it into the pocket of my jeans from time to time. Too heavy, unfortunately, for sweatpants.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

dsvirsky wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:57 pm
skeeg11 wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:08 pm

Mine is covered in snail trails and was part of my regular carry rotation for quite some time. It still makes it into the pocket of my jeans from time to time. Too heavy, unfortunately, for sweatpants.
All of my knives are users "EXCEPT" for this one. Some sort of mental block I suppose. I guess that in the end, I am content for it to be consigned to the status of knife art
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

akapennypincher wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:11 pm

Cost is relative. A $700 pocket knife is not “cheap” in the same way a 3.5 million dollar car is not “cheap.”

It goes without saying that anyone who can afford a 3.5 million dollar car, can easily afford a $700 knife. I don’t understand the point of comparing the two things.

You like cigars. How often do you smoke “cheap” $700 cigars? Because $700 for a cigar is pocket change if you compare it to the cost of a Bugatti. :thinking

The Nirvana was an expensive knife but there were still buyers for it. For that reason, I don’t think it was “too expensive.” In relation to the cost of other pocket knives though, it is expensive.
-Nick :bug-red
akapennypincher

Mushroom wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:22 pm
akapennypincher wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:11 pm

Cost is relative. A $700 pocket knife is not “cheap” in the same way a 3.5 million dollar car is not “cheap.”

It goes without saying that anyone who can afford a 3.5 million dollar car, can easily afford a $700 knife. I don’t understand the point of comparing the two things.

You like cigars. How often do you smoke “cheap” $700 cigars? Because $700 for a cigar is pocket change if you compare it to the cost of a Bugatti. :thinking

The Nirvana was an expensive knife but there were still buyers for it. For that reason, I don’t think it was “too expensive.” In relation to the cost of other pocket knives though, it is expensive.

Most people who really want $700.00 can figure out how to get, the 3.5 Million Buck care is noyy to so easy.

Cigar do not have Cody Cody a fortune to be good, if the BAND to flash for asshat appeal is not important.