CPM 15v Manix 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kennbr34

Re: CPM 15v Manix 2

Post by kennbr34 »

Cowboyfromhell wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:33 pm
Someone above posted that Dlt had 28 orders in that sold out in 3 min. 28 sounds like the most anyone had to drop.....don't think Dlt is getting a bigger shipment....who knows.
Just checked eBay... Suddenly a lot more available on there. Kinda seems to support my theory that larger releases means more for scalpers. Did anyone here actually manage to get one off DLT?
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

Bemo wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:30 am
msum wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:04 am
Bemo wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:56 pm
Had mine a couple weeks and still basically going off the factory edge. Mostly cardboard duty, but did get some use in trimming some routed edges on OSB and cleaning up some dried construction adhesive. When I feel some drag in cutting, I strop on leather mounted on some MDF loaded with 1.25 micron and .5 micron diamond. Seems to keep a working edge pretty easy so far. As an aside, one thing I've finally seemed to learn is that light stropping passes and fewer; Science of Sharp and others have helped me with this.
How dare you mess up this thread when your post belongs in the sharpening and performance thread?

Yep, I know, I’m hilarious.

Stupid question, but is that leather loaded with two diamond grits? Or is it two separate strops with 1.25 and 0.5micron? respectively?

Regarding HRC result, I thought someone on this forum also measured their production model’s hardness…?
Yeah I've been guilty before of thread-drift and am trying to be more diligent... this being a flawed human does have it's challenges.
This thread is like a game of telephone. Started out 15v went all the way Chinese benchmade. Lol.
MRj “Weak things break!”
kennbr34

Post by kennbr34 »

Mrj wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:11 pm
Bemo wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:30 am
msum wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:04 am
Bemo wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:56 pm
Had mine a couple weeks and still basically going off the factory edge. Mostly cardboard duty, but did get some use in trimming some routed edges on OSB and cleaning up some dried construction adhesive. When I feel some drag in cutting, I strop on leather mounted on some MDF loaded with 1.25 micron and .5 micron diamond. Seems to keep a working edge pretty easy so far. As an aside, one thing I've finally seemed to learn is that light stropping passes and fewer; Science of Sharp and others have helped me with this.
How dare you mess up this thread when your post belongs in the sharpening and performance thread?

Yep, I know, I’m hilarious.

Stupid question, but is that leather loaded with two diamond grits? Or is it two separate strops with 1.25 and 0.5micron? respectively?

Regarding HRC result, I thought someone on this forum also measured their production model’s hardness…?
Yeah I've been guilty before of thread-drift and am trying to be more diligent... this being a flawed human does have it's challenges.
This thread is like a game of telephone. Started out 15v went all the way Chinese benchmade. Lol.
It's weird how salty everyone is being about the issue of OT posts in a thread like this one. The only reason people were bringing it up in the alert thread was because people were subscribed to that and getting false-alarms that one was available. Now people seem to just want to be pedantic and go, "OH, so it's okay to post off topic in this thread but not that thread?" as if they're not completely missing the point.

And yeah, I just further drifted the thread off topic. But you know what I didn't do? Annoy someone watching the alert thread that might think one is available.
salimoneus

Post by salimoneus »

kennbr34 wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:18 pm
It's weird how salty everyone is being about the issue of OT posts in a thread like this one.
<snip>

Based on the subject of this thread, it should be open to *anything* relating to this particular knife, even if there are other sub-threads discussing more specific topics. That's great that people created other more detailed discussion posts, but anyone trying to put up walls around what can or cannot be discussed here, would seem to be pissing into the wind.
msum

Post by msum »

I just enjoy the absurd hilarity of the apparent strength of opinion about topic digression. But it’s probably the case that opinions aren’t actually particularly strong - they might just sometimes seem that way through the magnifier/distorter that is the internet.

I have my personal take on things, but not sure it’s useful for me to share it.

Thanks Bemo for answering my question, by the way. Do you store your strop on its side so the abrasive surfaces aren’t contacting anything?
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

msum wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:18 pm
Thanks Bemo for answering my question, by the way. Do you store your strop on its side so the abrasive surfaces aren’t contacting anything?
I have but in the mess that is my "storage" system it really wouldn't matter. So my answer is no, I stack it up with the rest my stones. I actually already have 3 small storage tubs for stones but have outgrown that. Probably should look at getting some more since my stone menagerie has increased. I personally am not concerned about the paste I use rubbing off, different products might have different requirements.

Maybe we need a dedicated thread for the care and storage of strops..... no I'm not serious.
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

Just wait till the next rendition of 15v is announced. Cheers,geers,whines, cries, fomo, my my how I can’t wait. It’s like “Days of Our Lives “ But in all seriousness…. Wonder what it’s going to be??? I’m thinking PM2 or Natve variant
MRj “Weak things break!”
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Hate to admit it but if they did either the PM2 or a Native, I'd probably stand in line. But I wouldn't lose all my dignity..... so I say now.
msum

Post by msum »

Bemo wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:47 pm
Hate to admit it but if they did either the PM2 or a Native, I'd probably stand in line. But I wouldn't lose all my dignity..... so I say now.
Native would be interesting.

Fortunately, I have no dignity.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I think there are more off topic posts complaining about off topic posts than any other kind of off topic post.

Although it is off topic, I just want to express my frustration with all this off topic discussion. If I don't feel better after doing so, I'll be back with more off topic discussion until I get it all off my chest.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I haven’t been following this thread too closely but it seems like as good of a time as any to promote the “Random: General Spydie Chat” thread.” It was made specifically for off topic chatter.

“Random: General Spydie Chat” thread
-Nick :bug-red
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Senfkarte wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:59 pm
Can someone explain to me, why the Manix is seen as a strong, heavy use knife? Bolster isn't the first one to mention that. I, personally, never have seen the Manix as the heavy knife, that fights you through the jungle. I mean, the blade is kind a short, if you want to use it as a chopper or as a knife to baton and the sharp part is even shorter, due to the choil. Sure, the blade is not the thinnest out there, but also far away from the thickest. It shure is sturdy and the lock is solid, but these points also apply to a lot of other Spydercos. What is so special about the Manix? Because, I personally would not call most folders, made for heavy use. Or am I missinterpreting the heavy use here?

I don't want to be mean to anyone, and I hope this does not sound provoking, I just want to know, how the Manix is so differnet to most other knives made by Spyderco, or even other brands.
I know I am responding to this about 3 months after it was posted (I am working my way through this thread 3 or 4 pages every evening), but ...

I have had exactly the same thought when someone grumbles about "why are we putting 15V into this MONSTER knife of the Manix 2". Eh? What? The Manix 2 is just another folding pocket knife like the PM2 or many others. It ain't no "super monster heavy use knife". It is my EDC most days. Not that it isn't tough -- it is a fantastic knife, but it is "just" an excellent strong EDC folding pocket knife. Above all, I couldn't think of a more perfect knife for this 15V steel. You can dig back if you want and see that I advocated for it years ago, maybe even in this thread or the other 15V thread.

My idea of a "big heavy duty knife" would be a big fixed blade. Not a mule mind you, but something like the Spyderco Ankerson-Sanders Bowie. Now there is a knife that for which I think 15V would be the wrong choice.

But it takes all kinds to make a world and there are many points of view. Senfkarte and myself are clearly of the same mind though.
kennbr34

Post by kennbr34 »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:44 pm
Senfkarte wrote:
Can someone explain to me, why the Manix is seen as a strong, heavy use knife? Bolster isn't the first one to mention that. I, personally, never have seen the Manix as the heavy knife, that fights you through the jungle. I mean, the blade is kind a short, if you want to use it as a chopper or as a knife to baton and the sharp part is even shorter, due to the choil. Sure, the blade is not the thinnest out there, but also far away from the thickest. It shure is sturdy and the lock is solid, but these points also apply to a lot of other Spydercos. What is so special about the Manix? Because, I personally would not call most folders, made for heavy use. Or am I missinterpreting the heavy use here?

I don't want to be mean to anyone, and I hope this does not sound provoking, I just want to know, how the Manix is so differnet to most other knives made by Spyderco, or even other brands.
I know I am responding to this about 3 months after it was posted (I am working my way through this thread 3 or 4 pages every evening), but ...

I have had exactly the same thought when someone grumbles about "why are we putting 15V into this MONSTER knife of the Manix 2". Eh? What? The Manix 2 is just another folding pocket knife like the PM2 or many others. It ain't no "super monster heavy use knife". It is my EDC most days. Not that it isn't tough -- it is a fantastic knife, but it is "just" an excellent strong EDC folding pocket knife. Above all, I couldn't think of a more perfect knife for this 15V steel. You can dig back if you want and see that I advocated for it years ago, maybe even in this thread or the other 15V thread.

My idea of a "big heavy duty knife" would be a big fixed blade. Not a mule mind you, but something like the Spyderco Ankerson-Sanders Bowie. Now there is a knife that for which I think 15V would be the wrong choice.

But it takes all kinds to make a world and there are many points of view. Senfkarte and myself are clearly of the same mind though.
From what I've been learning about the Manix and its history, the original C95 Manix was much beefier, and Eric Glesser apparently designed it with heavy duty use in mind. But I suppose everyone's version of "heavy duty use" differs, and my guess is that it was meant to be used for "heavy duty" tasks that were still within the realm that you'd use folder for.
electro-static

Post by electro-static »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Senfkarte wrote:

Could just be people upset that it isn’t in a more pocketable knife. The Manix is a big boy in my pocket, also still way too thin to “Hard Use”.
salimoneus

Post by salimoneus »

Tucson Tom wrote:

I guess it's all relative. The Manix 2 is one of the beefier folding knives made by Spyderco, and I would argue that for it's size, it could hold up to a significant amount of abuse, more than most any other folding model in Spyderco's lineup. I would also give the nod to the ball bearing lock as being more robust than the compression or liner locks seen in many other popular models. Sure it's no fixed blade, but one can't really compare a folding knife to a fixed blade, and this is a folding knife, so that's mostly irrelevant.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Anyone have information or comments about how the Manix is performing ? MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Dnwrghtsr

Post by Dnwrghtsr »

Baby sitting grandchildren in IN there is a nice knife store a mile from the house.Stopped by on a whim he had one. Last one. Bought it.
Lc200n, s90v, magnacut, 20v, 204p, cruwear, s110v, 15v, cts-xhp
msum

Post by msum »

Dnwrghtsr wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:04 pm
Baby sitting grandchildren in IN there is a nice knife store a mile from the house.Stopped by on a whim he had one. Last one. Bought it.
That’s a nice story. :-)
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:59 pm
there's a performance thread.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=93878
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:08 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:59 pm
there's a performance thread.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=93878
Thanks LB ! Forgot there was a relevant thread . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau