Kitchen knife performance (MBS-26)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Brock O Lee

Kitchen knife performance (MBS-26)

Post by Brock O Lee »

This is a shout-out to the excellent line of affordable kitchen knives in the line-up, and especially the steel MBS-26.

Sadly our household does not have a highly evolved taste in kitchen cutlery. Years ago I've made peace with the fact that our family of 4 could never own nice things like carbon steel Japanese cutlery. They would simply not survive the rigors and careless handling typically seen in our kitchen. Successful candidates would have to be stainless, and tough enough to take a knock or two.

We've been using these for 8 years, and they are just about broken-in by now!

They've survived the typical kitchen use/abuse beyond my expectation. No rust, no broken tips, no loose handles or catastrophic failure. I've been successful in training the family to avoid running them through the dishwasher, only use them on wood/plastic cutting boards, and strictly no screw driving or prying! That said, they are not babied and are often left dirty overnight without ill effect. They stay sharp for a very reasonable amount of time. Dulling occurs by rolling. I've never had to sharpen out a chip on these, which is remarkable.

I typically sharpen the PE's about once a year. I run them at around 13 dps with a 15 dps micro bevel off either the SM medium or fine. Once a month (if I remember) I would give them a few strokes on a fine ceramic steel to realign the edges. This usually results in no light reflecting off the apexes, and they stay sharp enough to last the next month. The SE's get a few passes on the SM perhaps every 2 months.

The steel is a pleasure to sharpen with aluminium oxide waterstones. It wants to get sharp, and does not create a huge burr. It deburrs easily, and takes a hair popping edge without much effort.

The one we reach for most often is the 6.5" serrated utility. It will stay sharp enough to slice tomatoes for months without a touch-up on the Sharpmaker. The serration pattern is simply fantastic for the kitchen. A couple of them usually join us whenever we go away for a weekend or on holiday.

What has been your experience with these kitchen knives? Have you rusted them? Have you chipped them? How does MBS-26 compare to VG10 or BD1N for kitchen use?

Maybe, just maybe, the family has been domesticated enough to be unleashed on a set of Murray Carter Minarai's in BD1N... Even so, I'll still keep a few of the SE utilities around, they've earned their permanent spot.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Bemo

Re: Kitchen knife performance (MBS-26)

Post by Bemo »

I have the santoku, the 4" SE, and the 6.5" SE. They're hand-washed like all decent cutlery should be. Yes, I've had rust near the handle. Actually I've gotten better performance from the BD1N Z-cut. I personally don't care for the handles as they don't fit my hand or my wife's very well. The very shape and molding of the handle on the santoku that's supposed to help facilitate a pinch grip just literally rubs me the wrong way. I have medium to small hands. The over-molded Victorinox chef that everyone raves about doesn't work for me either. I'm glad they've worked for you and your family, just wish I could have tried them before buying. I do agree the 4" and 6.5" knives in SE are very useful and we all know that Spyderco knows how to do serrations right.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

The whole MBS-26 kitchen series is the unsung hero of the line up. We have a couple that are likely approaching 20 years of service and I have no complaints. They represent what once was, high performance at a reasonable price. Happily the handles fit out hands well, but since they are not neutral, I can see how they could be less comfortable for some.

I read somewhere that many commercial fishermen use them as boat knives. The decent rustproof nature of MBS-26, low cost, excellent serrations make them a great choice. I've never done it, but I'd imagine they would cut a snagged or fouled rope easily.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I am a huge MBS-26 fan. My Spyderco line of kitchen knives sees much use and abuse in our household. The wife loves to grab the 6.5" SE , and though the points are not a pointy as they once were due to her hasty use of the granite countertops as a cutting surface, the scalloped portions remain sharp for long months of use. This is my favorite followed by the honorable mention #1 & #2

h/m

sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*