Invitation to the 16th Spyderco Meet in Amsterdam

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
CLOK

Re: Invitation to the 16th Spyderco Meet in Amsterdam

Post by CLOK »

SpyderForLyfe wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:03 pm
Just out of curiosity... Why Amsterdam? They aren't exactly known for being knife-friendly.
Because the IWA trade show is the same week and is sort of "next door" location-wise which I am guessing they attend and have held this meet frequently in years past and have a solid group of people from around that area who enjoy attending.
buferoe

Post by buferoe »

Hi Wouter,

E-mail send.

greetz,

Werner
KnOeFz

Post by KnOeFz »

Yesss, mail sent.
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

It has always has been this way. They show prototypes, some find their way into production some don't. It's free and a nice thing from the Spyderco crew to do before a big show in Germany. They book a hotel venue and organise a meet before going to a exhausting trade show. They don't want the competition to know what they have in the pipeline and they don't want the Dutch governement to close down an illegal "weapon" trade because people see it as an opportunity to hussle some money. This is Europe. This is not the USA and we are not entiteled to anything from Spyderco, especially not when it's basically a way for Europeans to meet people from the other side of the globe. What happens after the show is not Spyderco's problem but remember that even carrying a pocket knife can get you in a lot of problems in Europe.
Spyderco does not want themselves or us getting into trouble and raided by the cops because someone from the outside sees people carrying and dealing "dangerous weapons" and calls the police to the venue.
Please respect the time and effort people put into this meeting.
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

I'm in! YES!!!
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

I also got in! Aswel as my girlfriend and my brother it will be epic! :squinting-tongue
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

They bring out prototypes from what I've read. I have had the pleasure of seeing the prototypes at Blade Show. They simply request no photos since they are prototypes. They could allow photos and show no prototypes, but one of the coolest things about seeing Spyderco's tables is being able to handle the prototypes. It is a simple request so that the fans can see what they are working on. No harm done in that. No one handing over their rights.

Good on Spyderco for getting this Infront of our brothers and sisters across the pond. Glad you all will get this opportunity.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
PinkSpyder

Post by PinkSpyder »

Email send
sal

Post by sal »

Hi CLOK, PinkSpyder,

Welcome to our forum.

Hey SpyderForLyfe,

No Photos of the prototypes. Surely you can understand our wanting to keep that private?

sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

SpyderForLyfe wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:02 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:26 pm

There’s no reason to be so disrespectful. You’ve stood out in this regard over the past week that you’ve increased posting here.

Spyderco makes the rules for the event that they go through the extensive effort to host.
You address my "disrespect" yet you ignore my point. Interesting. What you call "disrespect" I call "stating the G-D obvious". Perhaps it's just me, but I don't see the point in prohibiting photography or "swapping materials". What harm is a picture going to do? And if I bring a legal item, and you bring a legal item, and we both agree to swap legal items, how does that offend Spyderco? It's very "nanny state" to me. Over the past 20 years, I've been to all kinds of trade shows and meets and what not, and photography was never prohibited. One would think that a benefit of meeting people you talk to often would be to capture the moment with photos or video. And I don't see how a company can prohibit a **** thing in a place they don't own, among people who paid to be there. Seems a bit like a power trip to me. Don't you think? If anything is disrespectful, I'd say the expectations and rules they're belaying on their customers is a good candidate.

It's odd, how for centuries people would draw and paint portraits, striving always to find better ways to capture moments. It drove us, as a species, to invent the camera. Now we have cameras, and they're being prohibited more and more. How ironic!

Seems to me like if I'm going to travel across the world to meet people, I'd want some pictures or keepsakes. But if you want to let a company that you give your money to dictate what you can and cannot do beyond the illegal, knock yourself out. Enjoy your trip!
Your attitude and profanity are not welcome on this forum. Perhaps you should tone it down. This is a family place and we simply to not do these things.

As for reasons why the rules, they are so obvious that they aren't worth talking about, but I'll mention just one. There are a lo of less than honest makers out there that would steal a Spyderco idea in a New York minute.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

The policy has bin there for longer then the first time i went to amsterdam.
I was able to go 3 times and no one ever had problems with these rules.
Also atleast to my knowledge there is no problem with making pictures with the people you meet during the lunch hour in the restaurant if you want pictures to remember the day that is the time and place. (so outside of the room with the prototypes! ) that is also the time you can meet and talk to Eric if you want. I have seen people asking and getting selfies with Eric and the first time i went even with Sal during that lunch hour.
So the rules are simple. And as a reward you get a bag full of stuff and there also always bin a knife in there so its a small thing following these rules to have a great time and get a spydie afterwords.
Also
buferoe

Post by buferoe »

I'm in this time, just as all the other times on the Spyderco meet.
Nice to hear this meet will be held in honour to Jur, still miss him......
This " Oldtimer" has nr:44

Happy to see you all next February in Amsterdam.
Cyberwolf

Post by Cyberwolf »

I am also in as nr: 57, looking forward to listen to Eric and the story's behind the designs.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Sadly I can't make it.
Maybe if KLM were still flying their early bird directly to AMS, but as it goes down on the same week as I do my yearly winter backpacking trip with the kiddos, I just can't squeeze in an multi day gig abroad for selfish reasons.

I haven't followed this event before, but I guess the dates/week are pretty much the same from year to year, which would be unfortunate for me.

Hope everyone that gets to go have a really good time and lots of rumors and stories to tease with afterwards
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Can't express how happy and thankful I am to see this happen! No chance I'll get to go but can't wait for pics 😁
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Just a quick update, I've received more than 60 sign-ups and started the reserves-list, there are a few spots left on the reserves list as I'm typing this.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

SpyderForLyfe wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:02 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:26 pm

There’s no reason to be so disrespectful. You’ve stood out in this regard over the past week that you’ve increased posting here.

Spyderco makes the rules for the event that they go through the extensive effort to host.
You address my "disrespect" yet you ignore my point. Interesting. What you call "disrespect" I call "stating the G-D obvious". Perhaps it's just me, but I don't see the point in prohibiting photography or "swapping materials". What harm is a picture going to do? And if I bring a legal item, and you bring a legal item, and we both agree to swap legal items, how does that offend Spyderco? It's very "nanny state" to me. Over the past 20 years, I've been to all kinds of trade shows and meets and what not, and photography was never prohibited. One would think that a benefit of meeting people you talk to often would be to capture the moment with photos or video. And I don't see how a company can prohibit a **** thing in a place they don't own, among people who paid to be there. Seems a bit like a power trip to me. Don't you think? If anything is disrespectful, I'd say the expectations and rules they're belaying on their customers is a good candidate.

It's odd, how for centuries people would draw and paint portraits, striving always to find better ways to capture moments. It drove us, as a species, to invent the camera. Now we have cameras, and they're being prohibited more and more. How ironic!

Seems to me like if I'm going to travel across the world to meet people, I'd want some pictures or keepsakes. But if you want to let a company that you give your money to dictate what you can and cannot do beyond the illegal, knock yourself out. Enjoy your trip!
The problem is that you're commenting from a perspective of ignorance, and you don't understanding the purpose and historical importance of this meet-up for Spyderco fans and forum members (or so it appears from you just joining the forum in the last year and your comments). And without that past experience and perspective, your comments are offending people who are "in-the-know".
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Hope everyone who attends has a great meeting! I'm happy the tradition is still alive, partly because that means I still have a chance of participating sometime in the future, but also because because it seems like something that is dear to many people.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

That’s it. I’m in the group on this side of the Atlantic that is happy to see the EuroSpyders getting the Amsterdam meet back. Looking forward to any stories or pics that get shared.
J D Wijbenga

Post by J D Wijbenga »

I am in! See you there!