so... guitars...?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
ladybug93

so... guitars...?

Post by ladybug93 »

what do you play currently? what do you wish you had? amps? pedals? what kind of music do you play? anything guitar-related... go!
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
prndltech

Re: so... guitars...?

Post by prndltech »

My usual set up is musician stingray special 5 HH with either a mogami or armor gold cable into a Polytune, keeley bassist compressor and Sansamp bass driver DI v2 (those 3 are mounted on a pedal train nano board with a 1 spot CS 6 pro power supply mounted underneath)

Every now and then I take out the fender American professional precision 5 string but… not often. The stingray is my go to for pretty much everything.

As for amps… I have a few, but haven’t played through one in years. Most places I go have a PA so I plug straight in and use in ear monitors…
Last edited by prndltech on Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
benben

Post by benben »

I love videos from Norman's Rare Guitars, does that count?

I'm 57, been saying I was going to learn to play for the last 30 years, don't see it happening! An electric guitar ( to me ) is THE most fascinating instrument there is! And I love reading anything Jimmy Page related!
Makunochimaster

Post by Makunochimaster »

Old schooll heavy/ blues 🤦🏻‍♂️
Native 5 cpm-s110v G10. Native 5 cpm-s110v frn.
Lil' Native MB cpm-s30v. Dragonfly 2 zdp-189.
Delica 4 cts-204p limited. Cricket Nishijin blk vg10.
Urban n690co. Persistence s35vn lightweight.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Love old Strats and Teles....and Flying V's!! Big fan of Fender tube amps and Jazz and the blues. I have none of the above at the moment but this thread sure brought back some memories for me.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I have more guitars than i'll ever need considering i can't play to save my life - but i am trying and enjoying myself :)

"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
kennbr34

Post by kennbr34 »

Makunochimaster wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:38 pm
Old schooll heavy/ blues 🤦🏻‍♂️
Nice, I really dig LTDs. I've got an MH-50 with their Floyd Rose knockoff. Honestly wish I had just got a regular Tune-O-Matic bridge because I pretty much never use the tremelo and hate tuning it. Thinking about installing a "Tremel-No" that blocks it off but I don't know that it makes it any easier to tune. I mostly just like playing thrash metal on mine, and mainly rhythm.

I've got a Yamaha FG800 acoustic too that I really like. I mainly just strum chords on it.

Right now I really need to get a decent little amp. I had been using a little DigiTech pedal with headphones but it's got kind of old. I want to be able to play loud.
Makunochimaster

Post by Makunochimaster »

Thanks, my LTD is MH-100qmnt fixed bridge with emg81-85😁
i had acoustic Yamaha F-370, but changed to macro lens for dslr 🥸
also had bass 5-strings Cort C5Z 🐈
IMG_20220927_233934_658.jpg
Native 5 cpm-s110v G10. Native 5 cpm-s110v frn.
Lil' Native MB cpm-s30v. Dragonfly 2 zdp-189.
Delica 4 cts-204p limited. Cricket Nishijin blk vg10.
Urban n690co. Persistence s35vn lightweight.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

my new year resolution is going to be pick up bass guitar
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:12 pm
my new year resolution is going to be pick up bass guitar
Tip: No one will appreciate you till either you aren’t there, or they have a bad one play with them :releived

Dive in, have fun! Don’t get stuck on gear. Just get something you like that works, and play. Worry about all the other stuff later (like my first statement, no one will know the difference but you)
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I had three Taylors and a mandolin. I sold them all. After breaking my shoulder, wrist, and fingers in a motorcycle hit and run I can't rotate my arm over enough to comfortably fret them. So, this year, I tearfully said goodbye to the last of them.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
James Y

Post by James Y »

My older brother has been a guitarist since the late 1960s. He's been fairly well-known locally since the 1970s, and at 69, he still plays gigs around town with a band. When I was little, he had a guitar and amp, but I don't recall which brand of guitar it was. He was always either practicing with his guitar in his room or going off to band practice with his band mates.

He's extremely talented. He told me only a few years ago that he was self-taught, and he never learned to read music. Which kind of blew my mind, because he can play anything on his guitar. I've also discovered that some very famous rock guitarists were also self-taught.

I once asked my brother why he never tried out for one of the big-name bands. I'm not being biased when I say he would have been comparable to some of the great guitarists of that era. His wife said that if he had been in a major band, he probably wouldn't still be alive today, considering the lifestyle of full-time professional rock musicians. Which is probably very true. And she was a good (trained) singer. This only highlighted for me the fact that there are probably countless musicians out there with incredible talent that the world will never know.

Jim
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

prndltech wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:34 pm
hah, funny you should say that; I always thought bassists were the coolest of musicians :zany I mean, look at Nathan East...

but yeah, you're right, I'm looking at an inexpensive Squier Mustang than I can just learn on and not fret about it
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Tattoo

Post by Tattoo »

Hi all.
Great to see guitar brethren here.
I play all genres, admittedly less these days with work and family taking most of my time. At best these days I noodle once a week.
I have as someone said above more guitars than I need.
Strat AO60
LP
Xotic XSC
Ibanez RG 550
Tele Jason Isbell
Gibson J15
Martin D15M
Sigma
Suhr Classic S - will be sold today, need to slim my portfolio down🙄

Amps
Two Rock SP35
Marshall Mini Jubilee
Fender SR TM

and more pedals than I am able to list at the moment.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageFriend of mine is a musician and also makes custom one string bass guitars . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Rusty_Shackelford

Post by Rusty_Shackelford »

Tattoo wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:26 am

Tele Jason Isbell
I was on a Tele kick a year or two ago and realllly liked the Isbell Tele. Looks like a sweet guitar!

I play mostly acoustic music. Have a few acoustic guitars. The one getting the most playing time lately has been a Waterloo Scissortail. For the last month or so I’ve been playing around trying to learn clawhammer banjo, which has been really fun, but a little mind bending due to the odd tunings and only using down strokes when picking.

Instruments have been the one thing that slow me down on knife purchases. It doesn’t take too many knives to start getting into guitar money.
pngeezer

Post by pngeezer »

Being from Maryland, I've been a PRS player for a long time, and I've been to the factory numerous times too. Currently have a core Hollowbody w/spruce top and a Korean SE EG to scratch that Strat itch. Play thru a Quilter 101R amp and a 1x12 cabinet.

:bug-red Native 5 LW Spy27, Cat, Delica, Sage 5LW S30V :bug-red-white
Tattoo

Post by Tattoo »

Rusty_Shackelford wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:49 am
Tattoo wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:26 am

Tele Jason Isbell
I was on a Tele kick a year or two ago and realllly liked the Isbell Tele. Looks like a sweet guitar!

I play mostly acoustic music. Have a few acoustic guitars. The one getting the most playing time lately has been a Waterloo Scissortail. For the last month or so I’ve been playing around trying to learn clawhammer banjo, which has been really fun, but a little mind bending due to the odd tunings and only using down strokes when picking.

Instruments have been the one thing that slow me down on knife purchases. It doesn’t take too many knives to start getting into guitar money.
Yes, JI Tele really punch above the price. And that is coming from not a big Tele fan.
Money melting hobbies, I feel ya. But it’s easier to tell the wife “look a small gift for me, and it is only 20% of the guitar price”.
Good luck with banjo, I am sure downstrokes will be perfected in no time.
HNY.
Tattoo

Post by Tattoo »

Pngeezer, those are sweet fiddles.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

🤩🤩🤩
Larry_Mott wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:58 pm
I have more guitars than i'll ever need considering i can't play to save my life - but i am trying and enjoying myself :)

Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032