Options for a plain, simple, boring, old timer like me.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
AverageKCGuy

Re: Options for a plain, simple, boring, old timer like me.

Post by AverageKCGuy »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:32 am
Mushroom wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:25 am
JRinFL wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:12 am
You guys are actually recommending S30V and K390 to a guy who stated "I'm talking from the 90's to 6-8 months ago, never sharpened. Dull, but the teeth always got the job done."?
The best course was mentioned earlier, get a Sharpmaker and sharpen the G-2 Delica. Get another 20 years of use out of it, easily. There is no need for high vanadium steel for a user who has used G-2 for decades without complaint.
He specifically asked for a “newer” and “higher end steel” though. S30V and K390 are perfectly valid suggestions for what he is asking for.
Compared to G-2, VG-10 is a high end steel. BDN1 might even be compared to G-2. But, yeah it seems you are correct. With a black handle, only VG-10 & S30v come to mind.

I'm currently using a gen3 Delica VG-10 since putting the G-2 away. It's fine, and if I were to sharpen it I'm sure it would continue to be fine. But I was looking for something other than a budget steel. S30V is an option. K390 concerns me a bit with corrosion. It gets hot and humid where I live, moisture builds up when outside in the summer. I've never been concerned with making sure my blades are oiled etc and I don't see that attitude changing.
AverageKCGuy

Post by AverageKCGuy »

James Y wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:01 am
OP:

When you say the PE VG-10 Delica didn't hold up, in what way? Was it the saber grind or full flat grind version? Did the blade break, or become dull? If the edge dulled, then that's easily remedied with the Sharpmaker, which is easy to use regardless of sharpening skill level.

Jim
Got dull, edge seemed to roll over. Full flat grind.

I agree sharpening is possible, but at this point I want to try something new, higher end.
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

SE para 3 s35vn is a good option if you don’t mind the comp lock
:bug-red-white
vivi

Post by vivi »

AverageKCGuy wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:35 am
JRinFL wrote:
Mushroom wrote:
JRinFL wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:12 am
You guys are actually recommending S30V and K390 to a guy who stated "I'm talking from the 90's to 6-8 months ago, never sharpened. Dull, but the teeth always got the job done."?
The best course was mentioned earlier, get a Sharpmaker and sharpen the G-2 Delica. Get another 20 years of use out of it, easily. There is no need for high vanadium steel for a user who has used G-2 for decades without complaint.
He specifically asked for a “newer” and “higher end steel” though. S30V and K390 are perfectly valid suggestions for what he is asking for.
Compared to G-2, VG-10 is a high end steel. BDN1 might even be compared to G-2. But, yeah it seems you are correct. With a black handle, only VG-10 & S30v come to mind.

I'm currently using a gen3 Delica VG-10 since putting the G-2 away. It's fine, and if I were to sharpen it I'm sure it would continue to be fine. But I was looking for something other than a budget steel. S30V is an option. K390 concerns me a bit with corrosion. It gets hot and humid where I live, moisture builds up when outside in the summer. I've never been concerned with making sure my blades are oiled etc and I don't see that attitude changing.
I can't think of a better knife for you than the Salt 2.

You have two steels to choose from, H1 and LC200N.

Both are completely rust proof and very tough steels that can take on tough jobs.

H1 models are saber ground like you're familiar with, and the LC200N version is a full flat grind so it's not quite as tough but cuts thicker materials with less effort.

Both come in serrated and plain versions.

They're lightweight like your Delica. Most knives Spyderco makes these days are heavier due to steel liners inside the handles. Not sure if that concerns you or not.

If you want something with more extreme edge retention while not being rust prone, S90V would be a dramatic step up from G2 while being very corrosion resistant and tougher than the top end edge holding steels like K390, Maxamet and 15V.

M390 is another I'd look at. Very high edge retention, very good corrosion resistance, and easier to sharpen than a lot of super steels.

They've recently run the Delica 4 in M390 and S90V. Those have a different handle shape and have the steel liners I mentioned, FYI.

If you don't mind scouring ebay and the used market, the original Spyderco Salt 1 is basically a rust proof version of your Delica.

I'll echo the others in advising a sharpmaker. If you keep your new knife touched up once a month you'll get better performance out of it. You can drive a car for a year without touching up your PSI but the performance will be lacking ;)
:unicorn
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

There are many good suggestions here. I do want to point out that the Stretch 2 XL does indeed come in SE.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Seems like some K390 could be a good option for you.

A K390 Endela or Endura in SE would be good contenders.
Or finding the Native 5 LW SE in stock somewhere :open-grin.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
SpyderForLyfe

Post by SpyderForLyfe »

You really should try the PM2. It's the gold standard. And the compression lock is every bit as secure as a lockback. You're really limiting yourself there. And if you like teeth, a Shaman SE. But if you insist, I'd say go for a native. You'd probably be happy with that.
SpyderForLyfe

Post by SpyderForLyfe »

Oh, and there IS a fully serrated PM2 out there. You just need to wait for it to come back in stock :)

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco- ... -10--50820
Colorodo

Post by Colorodo »

AverageKCGuy

Post by AverageKCGuy »

vivi wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:11 pm
AverageKCGuy wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:35 am
JRinFL wrote:
Mushroom wrote:

I can't think of a better knife for you than the Salt 2.

You have two steels to choose from, H1 and LC200N.

Both are completely rust proof and very tough steels that can take on tough jobs.

H1 models are saber ground like you're familiar with, and the LC200N version is a full flat grind so it's not quite as tough but cuts thicker materials with less effort.

Both come in serrated and plain versions.

They're lightweight like your Delica. Most knives Spyderco makes these days are heavier due to steel liners inside the handles. Not sure if that concerns you or not.

If you want something with more extreme edge retention while not being rust prone, S90V would be a dramatic step up from G2 while being very corrosion resistant and tougher than the top end edge holding steels like K390, Maxamet and 15V.

M390 is another I'd look at. Very high edge retention, very good corrosion resistance, and easier to sharpen than a lot of super steels.

They've recently run the Delica 4 in M390 and S90V. Those have a different handle shape and have the steel liners I mentioned, FYI.

If you don't mind scouring ebay and the used market, the original Spyderco Salt 1 is basically a rust proof version of your Delica.

I'll echo the others in advising a sharpmaker. If you keep your new knife touched up once a month you'll get better performance out of it. You can drive a car for a year without touching up your PSI but the performance will be lacking ;)
I had considered the H1, may still try it.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:56 am
I think I would be patient and get the Native 5 MagnaCut in full SE. They can't be too far off at this point. I have a feeling MagnaCut is going to turn the SE world upside down. If you've made it all these years without even sharpening, steel choice may not really matter that much and maybe also add a Sharpmaker to your list. The only downside is the yellow handle but if that really bothers you there are a couple ways to change it ranging from $6 to hundreds.

Oh and I bet you'd really like the upcoming Leaf Jumper. It'll be a bit larger than your Delica but has excellent ergonomics.
I think I would have to tend to go along with that idea myself. That would give a guy who uses his blades hard on a daily basis a premium newer SE blade model a well deserved upgrade as well as a super dependable EDC.

I've yet to use a full SE model in Magnacut as of yet but from what I'm hearing about it I'm all but certain that would be a move in the right direction. And YES!! do also get a Spyderco 204 Sharpmaker kit sharpening system to maintain your blades with. I think that getting both items would be a great investment based on what you've told us as well as a nice well deserved upgrade.
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

Personally for a new serrated back lock in black I'd get a leaf jumper. There's also endela or a native 5 lightweight if you like those designs better. The native has the fancier steel but I don't know that steel choice matters if you plan to use the knife dull.
benben

Post by benben »

spydergoat wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:21 pm
Personally for a new serrated back lock in black I'd get a leaf jumper. There's also endela or a native 5 lightweight if you like those designs better. The native has the fancier steel but I don't know that steel choice matters if you plan to use the knife dull.
This right here!
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Serrated pm2 sounds like a winner to me. I still want one just cuz there isn’t a current serrated military.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

I'm a salt water surf fisherman so serrated salts do have a purpose and place in my pocket. As knife AFI's we're all looking for something better than budget. Something we can take pride in ownership. An unavoidable affliction and with all the wonderful top tier steels Spyderco has to offer in many different models. It's easy to throw money at them. :winking-tongue

To me, serrated blades represent a whole nother playing field. Corrosions resistance aside, I'm not detecting a significant amount of difference in cutting performance between my serrated salts and serrated 8Cr13MoV blades. I can buy 3 serrated Harrier 2's @ $33.95 as compaired to the above pictured black bladed serrated Salt 2 and have change left over. If you're worried about build quality, you needn't. All of my serrated Byrd back locks lock up tighter than any of my linerless salt back locks. I have the serrated Byrd Hawkbill, Harrier 2 wharnie, and Cara 2 wharnie. The only reason I don't still have my serrated Cara 2 Rescue is that I thought my fireman friend needed a "good" knife.

Many consider me to be a knife snob, but I can't turn up my nose at serrated Byrds.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

All steels and all edge types will dull. They have to be sharpened.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
AverageKCGuy

Post by AverageKCGuy »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:08 pm
Evil D wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:56 am
I think I would be patient and get the Native 5 MagnaCut in full SE. They can't be too far off at this point. I have a feeling MagnaCut is going to turn the SE world upside down. If you've made it all these years without even sharpening, steel choice may not really matter that much and maybe also add a Sharpmaker to your list. The only downside is the yellow handle but if that really bothers you there are a couple ways to change it ranging from $6 to hundreds.

Oh and I bet you'd really like the upcoming Leaf Jumper. It'll be a bit larger than your Delica but has excellent ergonomics.
I think I would have to tend to go along with that idea myself. That would give a guy who uses his blades hard on a daily basis a premium newer SE blade model a well deserved upgrade as well as a super dependable EDC.

I've yet to use a full SE model in Magnacut as of yet but from what I'm hearing about it I'm all but certain that would be a move in the right direction. And YES!! do also get a Spyderco 204 Sharpmaker kit sharpening system to maintain your blades with. I think that getting both items would be a great investment based on what you've told us as well as a nice well deserved upgrade.
I ended up buying a Sharpmaker. If nothing else I'll clean up my son's PE Delica and my Delica gen3. H1 and S30V interest me but I just can't pull the trigger on either yet. I think at some point I might have to get them just to have experience with both while seeing how the Magnacut performs with some harder use.
SpyderForLyfe

Post by SpyderForLyfe »

AverageKCGuy wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:06 am
I ended up buying a Sharpmaker. If nothing else I'll clean up my son's PE Delica and my Delica gen3. H1 and S30V interest me but I just can't pull the trigger on either yet. I think at some point I might have to get them just to have experience with both while seeing how the Magnacut performs with some harder use.
The Sharpmaker is GREAT. Make sure you watch the videos first (you don't need the DVD they're on YouTube as well). And practice on an old kitchen knife, or some other cheap knife that you don't care about first. Get a real feel for the sharpening system before using it on a knife that you care about.

BladeHQ also posted a good video about it as well: https://youtu.be/V-cfaW-hQf8
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I don’t believe VG10 rusted in the Midwest. I live in the dirty South and have never had a fleck including HAP40 going in the Gulf of Mexico on accident. My VG10 is just under H1 is corrosion resistance
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

cabfrank wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:50 pm
There are many good suggestions here. I do want to point out that the Stretch 2 XL does indeed come in SE.
Can confirm, carrying mine today and it might be my favorite SE knife I’ve ever owned. My poor Pacific Salt hasn’t seen carry time since I got the S2XL.