Para 2 cruwear micarta

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kennethsime

Re: Para 2 cruwear micarta

Post by kennethsime »

Wandering_About wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:22 am
Sanded them wet, kind of had to experiment with grits as I'd never done this before. Started with 220, then went to 600 (too smooth) so tried scuffing them back up with 400 and 220 until they felt decent. The finish could definitely be improved but I didn't want to remove any more material. Overall I'm happy with the results though. Not sure how I'd go about it if I did it again. The 600 grit finish looked great but was too smooth.
Thanks for the feedback! Ok, I think I'll try 400. I was going to go 2,000, so I'm glad I checked with you first!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

The scales are not going to break

My question is does your exposed liners have a rough finish on the edges?
Crox

Post by Crox »

kennethsime wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:36 pm
Crox wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:48 pm
Mine has picked up a denim color on the one end.
I have the same effect on the show side of mine. I don't have this issue on any other Micarta knife, including the ZCarta Shaman. I think the finish is particularly susceptible to it, somehow.
Yeah I assume it is the white soft parts of the micarta that pick it up and show it. Same as you, on my BHQ M4 micarta Shaman the fibers seem less "wispy" as mentioned in other posts and I don't see any denim transfer on it. Although, it's certainly darker to start with.

I was just mentioning it factually - no complaint. I think it looks pretty cool.
Crox

Post by Crox »

SpyderGrill wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:02 pm
The scales are not going to break

My question is does your exposed liners have a rough finish on the edges?
No - I find mine to all be finished nicely and smooth.
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

Thanks, mine are a rough finish, almost looks like band saw marks, but I didnt send the knife back because the action is so good. Blade centered perfect, no blade play. Its my favorite PM2 and I have a couple that cost more
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I had them both out this morning, so I thought I'd highlight the difference in the comp lock tabs between the Crucarta PM2 and my K390 example (which also happens to be wearing Micarta scales).

I love the new, larger tab. I hope that future comp locks will feature this larger tab. More comfortable for everyday use, easier to access with gloves on, really an all-around win-win.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

elena86 wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:23 pm
I was very tempted to get one being a huge fan of Cruwear but the full liners are a no go for me.
I hear you loud & clear!! Because I like the Cruwear blades on the new C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run about as good as any knife I've owned and used up till now. That was an excellent selection that Sal made on that C-60 Sprint Run. And as much as I love the PARA2 and Military models both I'm determined to get either one or both of them in Cruwear.

I've been pleasantly surprised at how good Cruwear is also great with serrated blades. No complaints here at all on that Sprint Run. I've always had an affinity for Micarta handles/scales. It's one of the reasons I've always loved the models from the GOLDEN ERA ( 1998-2004). The Para2 is such a beast of a folder>> and with Cruwear and Micarta it's a "no-Brainer". That era was truly the Golden Age for Micarta Spyders IMO>
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

I was just handling my crucarta pm2 and admiring it's qualities. The liners are finished well and smooth, comp lock tab certainly is much nicer at that larger size. Only abusing the knife would cause it to break. The handle is the same thickness as standard para2s and it feels exactly the same to my hand. Definitely a worthy addition to anyone's collection, I hope a bunch of you got to scoop one up during the Black Friday sales.
Shmohawk

Post by Shmohawk »

I carry and use many very very often. Its fantastic. I have absolutely no concern regarding the the thinness of the micarta at the cutout. You'd have to do something seriously irresponsible, or have a freak occurrence, to break it. Which would be the case with most knives. Many comp lock knives have scale flex in the cutout. People make a big deal about nothing. If you like it and want it, get it, the thinness and flex are nonissues.
swigert

Post by swigert »

Ive stopped collecting for the most part and have so many sitting ive been rotating, but this one still calls my name! I may need to let go one of the BHQ M4 I have in jade to fund this one!
z1r

Post by z1r »

swigert wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:25 pm
Ive stopped collecting for the most part and have so many sitting ive been rotating, but this one still calls my name! I may need to let go one of the BHQ M4 I have in jade to fund this one!
I like it so much, I picked up a second during one of the Black Friday Sales. Price was too good not to! What I like is that no two are alike when it comes to scale coloration.