2023 Official Discontinued List

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bdubs808

Re: 2023 Official Discontinued List

Post by Bdubs808 »

Just ordered the ZDP 189 Endura from CS. Will be a nice piece to have when all the ZDP is phased out.
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

Dang. Four of those in the list are among my most used/carried knives (Endura 4 ZDP-189, SE Caribbean Leaf-shaped blade, Enuff Leaf-shaped blade, and Siren). Shame about ZDP-189 being phased out. I know K390 has for all intents & purposes made it obsolete, but I always liked the steel for its relative ease of sharpening compared to its high vanadium, particle metallurgy counterparts. The ZDP-189 Endura has been a mainstay of my work knife rotation for years... maybe I'll retire it & replace it with a K390 user.

Surprised at the Siren getting the axe but it coming back as a Magnacut model is almost a certainty.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Actually, ZDP-189 has close to 0% Vanadium. One of the things that made it unique with its high hardnes. Doesn't really require diamonds to get a nice edge on it.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

JSumm wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:14 pm
Actually, ZDP-189 has close to 0% Vanadium. One of the things that made it unique with its high hardnes. Doesn't really require diamonds to get a nice edge on it.
Yeah, that's what I meant (I guess my wording could have been better). I like how it's this high hardness, long wearing steel that didn't necessarily require CBN/diamond for sharpening. I always found it reasonably straightforward to maintain/sharpen.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

zuludelta wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:33 pm
JSumm wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:14 pm
Yeah, that's what I meant (I guess my wording could have been better). I like how it's this high hardness, long wearing steel that didn't necessarily require CBN/diamond for sharpening. I always found it reasonably straightforward to maintain/sharpen.
It is a pleasant experience to sharpen for sure. Kinda bummed there will not be more of it. Don't get me wrong, K390 from Seki is something special, but so was ZDP-189. Heck, some cheap synthetic stones would work on it and it would hold a great edge.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
huyfishin

Post by huyfishin »

Now i'm looking into a serrated aqua salt lol
I Play With Salt Knives / instagram huyfishin
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Cheap. Not many left:

https://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Siren-F ... B07XLTZ67V

LOL just noticed the seller is KnifeJoy

https://www.knifejoy.com/products/spyde ... -g10-knife

My old Siren's lock seems to work well enough, and I bought two of the S90V's so I'm good.

Glad to see the Waterway is going strong. Really nice knife.
phaust

Post by phaust »

KJ has had them on sale since the list came out, and their number available on Amazon has stayed at three.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Oops. Missed those posts on page 2.
phaust

Post by phaust »

shunsui wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:10 pm
Oops. Missed those posts on page 2.
Just to be sure, it wasn't meant as an attack if it came out that way :bug-red-white

I just wanted to relay that since they've been on sale the whole time and haven't changed the number available on Amazon, it's probably not something people need to rush to buy if anyone feels that way. They seem to be slow sellers. Even the sprint is easy to get.
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

Grabbed a Siren from KC. I wish I had bought one earlier! It feels great in hand and the lines are super clean. The fit and finish are top notch as to be expected from a Golden made item.
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Siren for $149.95 shipped is great!

Fixed back lock, LC200N, G-10 and made in USA!

https://www.knifejoy.com/products/spyde ... -g10-knife
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

Yeah, had to grab that.
phaust

Post by phaust »

If anyone else is curious, I read from someone who called Spyderco that the Siren's all g10 handle led to too many seconds, and that's why it got discontinued.

Might be a good selection at the seconds sale
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Well I sure hope they bring the siren back cause it’s an awesome knife... I have purchased two-(both CQI)-gifted first one to my nephew after he said it’s his favorite blade shape from spyderco and that it was the best fidgety back lock he’d ever seen. I paid $209 w/tax so $149 shipped is a great deal from knife joy. It’s my go to hard-use beast but surprisingly light in hand and pocket.
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

I just ordered another aqua salt. I’ll have to dig up vivi’s pe h1 sharpening thread. It’s a shame to see a staple hard use fixed blade get the axe.
Pickmansmodel82

Post by Pickmansmodel82 »

Well, I suppose I was lucky in finding a cqi siren. The original design may have been closer to a folding filet knife, but I’ve found it very useful in a few situations, and the lc200n steel is a good balance of you ask me.
Neatknife

Post by Neatknife »

Knife center has some of the discontinued spydercos on sale, picked up an Aqua Salt serrated, $131.00 including tax.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Link to all Discontinued Spyderco items at KnifeCenter:

https://www.knifecenter.com/listing/spy ... ales-event
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

Grabbed a Siren at KnifeJoy. Wasn’t aware that it was discontinued until I received an email from KnifeCenter this afternoon.