Native Chief M390 sprint run

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RamZar

Re: Native Chief M390 sprint run

Post by RamZar »

Buddafucco wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:33 am
Sooner State Knives (not on the Dealer Locator List) has at least one satin & DLC listed for $175 & $203. The pics aren't of Collectors Club knives, but ya never know. If anybody is interested they're at the bottom of this page... http://www.soonerstateknives.com/newitems.html

That's MAP pricing (30% off MSRP) which would be the right street price if they were sold by dealers. I wonder if someone bought them with OpFocus pricing (50% off MSRP) and is now reselling them.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
agm

Post by agm »

Well, both of my Native Chiefs arrived and both are unfortunately not impressive.
The DLC coated one has massive left-right blade play and the non-coated one is not centered at all.

Nothing that one could not fix, but quite disappointing for that amount of money and for being a sprint run... I am not a very happy panda over here.
olditguy

Post by olditguy »

First post. Bought the Cutlery Shoppe exclusive Native Chief Satin CTS-XHP about a month ago and it was/is perfect. Just received the Sprint Run Native Chief Brown/DLC/M390 today, and I have to say "perfect as well". Can't say the same for the Delica 4 K390 that came with it. Grind was probably the worst out of my current collection of 19 Spydercos. Had a burr on the one side and narrow grind on the other. Took it to the rod then stop and it will be just fine to complete my K390 collection of all the larger P/E's. Love this forum guys!
rgc

Post by rgc »

Looks like only 89 DLC Chiefs left . . .
Team Sick

Post by Team Sick »

I got my satin finished today and it's great! Blade is centered and grind is even. Edge is sharp and pivot is tight. Lock up is "Bank-Vault" and action is smooth. All screws are tight, and scales are clean and unblemished. Couldn't ask for more. Thanks again Spyderco!
rgc

Post by rgc »

Only 24 of the DLC coated Chiefs remain . . .
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Here’s the related thread:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=93499

413 of the Satin still in stock.
22 of the DLC still in stock.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Just bought my 2nd DLC, M390 Native Chief. I did not want to pass it up. Excellent steel. Excellent knife.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Is the Native Chief anything like the Native 5? I really like everything about the Native 5 and a bigger version seems neat. But just by looking at the blade geometry/shape the Native Chief looks like it would be a totally different knife, not just a bigger Native 5.

On the other hand the Lil Native looks just like a small Native 5.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

They feel very different in hand. I like my Native, but it's definitely a bit more chunky than I imagined it would be. Native Chief is its own knife...and better!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Rick said it well. The Native 5 is compact, but still tall. It does feel like a strong work knife which is what I use mine for when I need a little more tip control and I don't want a long blade. The Chief is very slim and compact for what you get. I think is it an excellent EDC model. Especially how slim it is in pocket. Great ergos in and out of the choil.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:13 am
Is the Native Chief anything like the Native 5? I really like everything about the Native 5 and a bigger version seems neat. But just by looking at the blade geometry/shape the Native Chief looks like it would be a totally different knife, not just a bigger Native 5.

Spyderco designers seem to have maintained the ratios pretty well. The Native 5 is definitely shorter and stubbier.

The Native 5 that I have is an excellent knife but smaller knives are harder to press into a self defense situation than larger knives. Anything will do in a pinch but the Native Chief is a better self defense knife.

The Native Chief is a well dimensioned knife. For self defense it has just enough piercing ability and has enough edge for slashing. When doing slashing moves to an opponents arm or thigh, it is hard not to strike your knuckles on the target. With a small knife this could mean missing the target completely. There is enough blade there to get an edge on the target.

If they ever made a 1 inch longer version I'd be all over it.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
rgc

Post by rgc »

Back in the day, and this is back like maybe 15 years or so ago, maybe more, I had a Black FRN lock back Native in S30v that I really didn't care for. It was my only Spyderco and I ended up giving it to my brother-in-law who used it for years until he lost it. That said I took the leap on the Chief from Cutlery Shoppe in XHP basically because I am weird and like orange G10 and wanted a new folder. So glad I did as it is an awesome edc. Just wish I had not waited so long to buy another Spyderco.
jdw

Post by jdw »

Naperville wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:19 am
WilliamMunny wrote:

Spyderco designers seem to have maintained the ratios pretty well. The Native 5 is definitely shorter and stubbier.

The Native 5 that I have is an excellent knife but smaller knives are harder to press into a self defense situation than larger knives. Anything will do in a pinch but the Native Chief is a better self defense knife.

The Native Chief is a well dimensioned knife. For self defense it has just enough piercing ability and has enough edge for slashing. When doing slashing moves to an opponents arm or thigh, it is hard not to strike your knuckles on the target. With a small knife this could mean missing the target completely. There is enough blade there to get an edge on the target.

I have a non-argumentative question. What would the extra inch give you in a real life, last ditch knife defense? I have read enough of your posts that I understand that you believe in knife SD and are likely trained. I have no knife SD training and in a real life situation, if I had lost my gun, I would choose either a Civilian (due to it's design for untrained people) or a Military because I am most familiar with how it feels in hand. Just wondering. Thanks Naperville.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

jdw wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:03 pm
Naperville wrote:
WilliamMunny wrote:

I have a non-argumentative question. What would the extra inch give you in a real life, last ditch knife defense? I have read enough of your posts that I understand that you believe in knife SD and are likely trained. I have no knife SD training and in a real life situation, if I had lost my gun, I would choose either a Civilian (due to it's design for untrained people) or a Military because I am most familiar with how it feels in hand. Just wondering. Thanks Naperville.
I have some, but limited knowledge of knife SD. One of the goals of going for arms, is to reach the tendons to the top of the forearm. A deep cut at the forearm, hitting the tendon would leave the hand nonfunctional. If your attacker had a gun, bat, etc they could not use it anymore.

I am guessing this is why there is a longer blade recommendation. Otherwise you will just leave superficial wounds and your attacker would still be in the fight.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:03 pm
jdw wrote:
Naperville wrote:
WilliamMunny wrote:

I have some, but limited knowledge of knife SD. One of the goals of going for arms, is to reach the tendons to the top of the forearm. A deep cut at the forearm, hitting the tendon would leave the hand nonfunctional. If your attacker had a gun, bat, etc they could not use it anymore.

I am guessing this is why there is a longer blade recommendation. Otherwise you will just leave superficial wounds and your attacker would still be in the fight.
I don't think I've ever seen a 5 inch deep forearm :thinking.

I mean, I don't live in the absolute safest of areas, but I'd never feel "outgunned" with my Native 5 on me (two in fact). Then again, I don't think in SD terms when it comes to knives. I think that only feeds to the political agenda in the criminalization of edged objects, but I digress. Previous work as a meat cutter makes one realize that the distance between flesh and bone is not as distanced as one might think. I think many would be surprised at just how much damage the mere tip of a knife can inflict.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

jdw wrote:
Naperville wrote:
WilliamMunny wrote:

Thanks for the question.

I think Michael Janich has a solid weapon in the Yojumbo, but it lacks a bit of penetrating ability, so I choose to carry the Native Chief.

Stand with an opponent facing you, and have them thrust and swing their arms and hands as if they are trying to strike/cut you. Allow them to have a 1ft long piece of wood protruding from their hands.

Hold a small piece of wood in your hands, and allow only 1 inch of wood to protrude from your clenched hands, and try and cut the opponents arms/hands as they swing at you with the ft long weapons. Difficult isn't it? You need more length/reach in your weapons.

Did you successfully cut or pierce their body with the 1 inch piece of protruding wood? Did you bang your knuckles on their body as you tried to cut them?

Now you do the same thing with a longer piece of wood, and allow 24 inches of wood to protrude from the top of your hands. Keep your opponent with just 1ft protruding from their hands. Run the test again.

Obviously we can continue to do this until we have a tool that has the ability to "stand off" an opponent so that they do not get close to us to cut us, and we can easily cut and thrust at an opponent, striking them.

Typically the Filipino martial arts escrima and arnis use 20 to 30 inch short swords or knives. The Spyderco Darn Dao is almost perfect for these arts, and almost perfect for self defense.

Every inch that you gain in your self defense weapon, allows you to "stand off" or keep away an opponent. They will be unable to close the gap between you without getting cut, as long as you brandish the weapon before they close the gap. There are diminishing returns for this type of weapon the longer that you go, and there are other hand-to-hand combat weapons. These are melee weapons. Longer weapons are more cumbersome, and less able to change direction because they are heavier and the balance point of the weapon moves away from the hands.

Within escrima and arnis is the style of Largo Mano, where the feinting movement of the body and weapon is used to disarm or defang the opponent. It often uses weapons that are longer than 30 inches in length, but it works with shorter weapons as well.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Longer weapons give you the ability to "stand off" an opponent. They cannot close the gap easily without being cut.

Weapons that become too long are cumbersome and lose their ability to move quickly.

The Filipino martial arts that I studied are not good arts for a self defense claim. In fact, I already have an ag assault misdemeanor (2010) for just drawing a knife to my hip and holding it there, not swinging or thrusting it to stop 4 to 5 guys from beating (kicking and punching) me. Liberal cops and prosecutors frown on any type of self defense.

The Filipino martial arts that I studied are for disemboweling, removing a limb, and taking out an opponent. Yes, there is a little bit of targeting tissue/muscle groups but the macro movements are for destroying someone.

I dabbled in: Inayan under Suro Jason Inay; Defensor Method under Guro Nate Defensor; SLD under Maestro Dexter Labanog; Bahala Na under GM Tony Somera; Mata Sa Bagyo under Guro Carlito Bonjoc. I also studied Judo, Hap Ki Do, Chung Mo Quan, and a bit of some other stuff.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Double post
Last edited by Naperville on Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

"Each of us has a natural right – from God – to defend his person, his liberty, and his property," 19th century economist and philosopher Frédéric Bastiat explained in The Law:

https://fee.org/media/35618/the-law-final-text-only.pdf