St. Nicks 4V Military 1

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
5-by-5

Re: St. Nicks 4V Military 1

Post by 5-by-5 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:30 am
twinboysdad wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:04 am
5-by-5 wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:14 pm
As long as it's a Military 1. Gag! I hate even having to put a 1 after Military.
Agree so don’t. There’s the Military which Millie also notates and then there’s the lesser comp lock one that needs the 2 behind it.
The official name of the knife is Military. I guarantee it won't say Military 1 on the box. So not sure why the need to call it the Military 1. The Military 2 will be the one that denotes a change

Military - Is the original with liner lock
Military 2 - Is the new version with comp lock
What appears on the box is not how a model is addressed in forums. The Stretch is called the Stretch 1. Because people are a little solipsistic they tend to talk in what they know and have experienced.
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

Fireman wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:37 am
5-by-5 wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:08 am
twinboysdad wrote:
5-by-5 wrote:
As long as it's a Military 1. Gag! I hate even having to put a 1 after Military.
Agree so don’t. There’s the Military which Millie also notates and then there’s the lesser comp lock one that needs the 2 behind it.
LOL'd Millie for life! I commented several times that they should have named it PM XL and leave the Military alone. Crickets......
I felt Shadow banned for it.
I will call it the PM2 XL now. Lock changes alters the soul of the knife.
Exactly what I said. Still crickets.
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

5-by-5 wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:47 am
Fireman wrote:
5-by-5 wrote:
twinboysdad wrote:

LOL'd Millie for life! I commented several times that they should have named it PM XL and leave the Military alone. Crickets......
Doesn't Spyderco have a specific model - the Sage - that they used specifically to test out different locks? They're all named Sage 1-5 or whatever. FWIW, I thought they should've named it the PM 4, but ultimately I don't really care what it's called.
--Jeremy
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

5-by-5 wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:43 am
What appears on the box is not how a model is addressed in forums. The Stretch is called the Stretch 1. Because people are a little solipsistic they tend to talk in what they know and have experienced.
I've been around long enough to understand that. I knew exactly what vivi meant when I saw the thread. My point is that you're perfectly safe referring to it as the Millie. No need to add a 1
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:30 am
twinboysdad wrote:
5-by-5 wrote:
The official name of the knife is Military. I guarantee it won't say Military 1 on the box. So not sure why the need to call it the Military 1. The Military 2 will be the one that denotes a change

Military - Is the original with liner lock
Military 2 - Is the new version with comp lock
The official name of the knife is actually “Military Model.” Which is what would be on the box. Your point stands though that it is rarely ever referred to as the “Military Model” and the name “Military” on its own has basically been standardized.
-Nick :bug-red
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
vivi

Post by vivi »

prndltech wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:28 pm
Well it's certainly going to be interesting when the Millie 2 releases, haha.
:unicorn
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

prndltech wrote:
:grin-squint

The “Military 2” is much more difficult. People have their own perceptions of it and will call it what they want. Whether that’s “PM4 XL” or “Millie 2” I do think there should be some way to nominally differentiate it from the original Military Model.
-Nick :bug-red
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Someone will just call it a PM2 XL and start WWIII!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

kerrcobra wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:14 am
5-by-5 wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:47 am
Fireman wrote:
5-by-5 wrote:

Doesn't Spyderco have a specific model - the Sage - that they used specifically to test out different locks? They're all named Sage 1-5 or whatever. FWIW, I thought they should've named it the PM 4, but ultimately I don't really care what it's called.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:14 pm
Someone will just call it a PM2 XL and start WWIII!
😱
MRj “Weak things break!”
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

vivi wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:58 pm
prndltech wrote:
Well it's certainly going to be interesting when the Millie 2 releases, haha.
Bro I will have a bowl of popcorn in my lap scrolling through threads… it’s already almost better than cable tv (I don’t have cable so…)

I don’t really have the money for one of these, but I might make it happen.
I’m down to one military, the new CQI, all black everything, including the liner… which I dig.
I dropped it twice today and busted the tip :-||
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
vivi

Post by vivi »

funny thing is it feels like there's twice as many people arguing about the name of the new millie than there are people posting any Military in the What's In Your Pocket thread. Never realized we had so many die-hard Millie fans here ;)
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

vivi wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:14 pm
funny thing is it feels like there's twice as many people arguing about the name of the new millie than there are people posting any Military in the What's In Your Pocket thread. Never realized we had so many die-hard Millie fans here ;)
I’ll buy one and I don’t care what it is or what it’s called. also, I fixed that for ya and added mine from this a.m.

Been staying off forums to save money!
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

vivi wrote:

The knife community is notorious for wanting what they can't have. The Military had all but fallen into obscurity and the liner lock was one of the most hated on locks until they announced a compression lock Military 2, then the loyalists come out of hiding (and I'm one of them).

The problem is all the people who love the current Military likely already own several of them and aren't buying enough to keep it afloat, so there is a business need for change. So then we're in this impossible situation where it's "don't change/discontinue this because I love it, but I already own it so I'm not buying more of it" and so what can a company do? This is a classic case of building something so good that you put yourself out of business because your product never needs replaced so you eventually run out of customers. I think the Military needed to be included in far more steel sprints in the past few years and at the very least should have gotten the 4 way clip option on the last CQI change. Those two things alone could have kept it far more relevant. Even though I'm one of those who dislikes all the unused clip holes, it's just an industry standard these days. Even the stainless Police has 4 way clip and it's the quintessential grandfather of the Spyderco catalog.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'm with you on the four way clip. I had a tip up bg42/cf Military back around 2010 and it carried so much better RFP with the tip up clip. I could go either way with the lock.

I've always loved the original Military since I first handled one, but I never felt it was perfect. There were small things about it I always wanted to change, like the clip, the choil, etc.

But those changes aren't so drastic to make the original completely obsolete to me, so I'm definitely getting at least one in 4V. Just like the Police 4 is the best version in my eyes, but I still carry my Police 3 once in a while.
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

Regardless of the name I am excited about this one, and I hope we get a CruWear and/or CruCarta in a Mil 1/2.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
vivi

Post by vivi »

some old single liner millies are on ACK for a reasonable price. One of them is under 200.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:34 am
vivi wrote:

The knife community is notorious for wanting what they can't have. The Military had all but fallen into obscurity and the liner lock was one of the most hated on locks until they announced a compression lock Military 2, then the loyalists come out of hiding (and I'm one of them).

The problem is all the people who love the current Military likely already own several of them and aren't buying enough to keep it afloat, so there is a business need for change. So then we're in this impossible situation where it's "don't change/discontinue this because I love it, but I already own it so I'm not buying more of it" and so what can a company do? This is a classic case of building something so good that you put yourself out of business because your product never needs replaced so you eventually run out of customers. I think the Military needed to be included in far more steel sprints in the past few years and at the very least should have gotten the 4 way clip option on the last CQI change. Those two things alone could have kept it far more relevant. Even though I'm one of those who dislikes all the unused clip holes, it's just an industry standard these days. Even the stainless Police has 4 way clip and it's the quintessential grandfather of the Spyderco catalog.
Well said! :bug-red-white
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

I'm in on this one for sure. Ready for some pictures as well. :cheap-sunglasses