To DLC or not to DLC?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Do you like DLC? Why or why not?

Poll ended at Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:35 pm

Yes
33%
No
15%
Added corrosion resistance
17%
Scratches on blade
3%
Like the looks
15%
Don’t like the looks
7%
Light discipline
2%
Other (please explain yourself)
7%

Total votes: 123

BLUETYPEII

To DLC or not to DLC?

Post by BLUETYPEII »

This question is purely to satisfy my personal curiosity.

I do like DLC. It can change the looks of a knife, sometimes drastically. Ever seen an all DLC Spyderco Police? WOW! It does get scratched but not nearly as bad as I imagined it would. I also appreciate the light discipline it offers as I’m sure military personnel appreciate it to… I think hunters probably would as well. That being said I definitely don’t think it’s the only way to go.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
kennethsime

Re: To DLC or not to DLC?

Post by kennethsime »

I've been a Satin guy for as long as I can remember, but recently picked up my first DLC knife. Man, is it nice. Definitely worth trying it out!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
R100

Post by R100 »

I don't like the look of DLC but I do like it with tool steels for added corrosion resistance when used with a blade oil.

Dan
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I voted Yes and No.

Yes because it looks awesome with most scale colors. No because the knife will still do its job without it.

I have no need for light discipline. I also don't mind seeing the patina that forms on my uncoated M4, K390 and other tool steels.
pleadnotguilty

Post by pleadnotguilty »

I was always turned off to it until I saw the native chief from st nicks. After I bought it I knew I would buy more! It adds durability, and soaks up oil pretty well. Also, as per my vote, aesthetically it works.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I've always wondered if people just don't like the look of a black blade, or if they worry about it scratching up like they easily do with cheaper knives.

I personally love DLC, almost half of my fairly modest collection have DLC blades. I use the crap out of them in the warehouse at work, they look scuffed up after a days work but I promise you...it's the material you cut that you see on the blade. A little Flitz and mineral oil and it looks back to new and shiny, if you prefer that. If you don't like seeing scratches on your blade, I say DLC over satin any day. That stuff is legit.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i love a black blade. i also like it when they get marked up from use. i hate scratches on satin, but marked up coatings look awesome to me. i can't explain it. also, even though i hate scratched satin, i really like stonewashed finishes. dlc and stonewashed finishes both scream work to me. satin blades make me want to baby a knife and keep it perfect.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Really complicated question for me. There was a time some years ago I begged for everything to have a DLC option, because I found that in some situations the light discipline aspect also seemed to subdue the whole presence and threat of having a knife out, and I liked that idea because it would let me use a knife more in non knife friendly places. I had a DLC Para 2 (evil knife that wanted me dead) that really seemed almost invisible to my coworkers when I used it compared to shiny blades. I also liked the looks. Over the years I started getting more into modifying knives and I hate the idea of having to grind off the DLC to do so. Plus, I no longer work in an environment where having a knife is a bad thing so there isn't really a need for the light discipline anymore so overall I have a lot less interest in DLC these days. The corrosion resistance part could be useful in some situations, but my preference for serrations means that those rust prone steels likely aren't even offered in SE so this is a lost benefit for me. Maybe if they do a run of SE K390 Shamans in DLC? That could be very interesting.

Besides all that, I'm one of the few that actually likes the look of a well beat up DLC blade. I've said before that I would love to see Spyderco do a blackwash coating like Kershaw does.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:39 am
Besides all that, I'm one of the few that actually likes the look of a well beat up DLC blade. I've said before that I would love to see Spyderco do a blackwash coating like Kershaw does.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I dont think there has ever been a factory dlc police. That would have been ticn.

Although Im not sure about the older ones.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
James Y

Post by James Y »

I put ‘Yes’ and ‘Other’.

I like DLC blades, not necessarily because of light discipline, but because it adds a degree of protection on non-Salt knives.

As for ‘other’, it’s because on non-Salt DLC knives, like the G10 Manix 2 (and now, the other DLC-coated blade models), the rest of the steel hardware is also black-coated (though NOT with DLC), which gives the lock, screws, liners, etc., some protection from corrosion.

Jim
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I didn’t fill the poll because… it’s complicated. I like the looks of DLC, and it’s an incredibly durable coating. I haven’t bought any DLC blades because I modify many of my knives. Plain steel can be brought to the desired finish post-modification, but DLC, not so much.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I have had TiCN, not DLC. TiCN scratches easier, but I liked it. I think I'd prefer DLC. I don't currently have any coated blades, but I would certainly get some in the future.
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

VooDooChild wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:14 am
I dont think there has ever been a factory dlc police. That would have been ticn.

Although Im not sure about the older ones.
No the Police I’m referring to was a custom DLC job on a PE stainless handle. A member shared a pic here a while ago. It was such an awesome looking knife. I think if Spyderco did a full DLC production Police it would sell very well. (Sorry can’t find the pic.)
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
vivi

Post by vivi »

DLC. I like the added corrosion resistance and the looks, especially when the hardware is blacked out too.

My DLC S30V Spydies with coated hardware have displayed near salt levels of corrosion resistance.
:unicorn
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

B6A84469-420A-41DD-8874-9CCDDEE08A2F.jpeg
This is my DLC S30V PM2. It’s my oldest and probably one of my most used Spyderco‘s and the DLC has held up quite well. I think most of these marks could be removed with Flitz but I’ve never used it on this knife.
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I did put other, because I didn't have the chance to try Spyderco's DLC yet.
I've had some TiCn (I think that's how it's called), and another PVD coating, and a DLC from another brand. The DLC coating seemed to be the most durable, and resistant to scratches.

I'm not into black blades, but I don't mind them either. However, the DLC coating on that knife (can't remember wich knife it was) did not have a good finish, I did not like that. It seemed irregular. My bet is that it comes from the blade finish before coating, this thing must've had some problems :squinting-tongue

It's in my plans to by a DLC coated Spyderco, but sometimes it's hard to know wich coating is used on wich model. Japanese Spydercos seem to use TiCn and DLC seems to be found on Golden Spydercos, is that right ?
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'd have to go with "depends on the knife". To me, the only blade style that looks better in black is a double edged dagger. So, if Spyderco were to offer a PE/DE/DA OTF auto, or their take on a PE/DE fixed blade push dagger, with a DLC coated blade I'd be on it like white on rice. Otherwise, not so much.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Ramonade wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 1:11 pm
I did put other, because I didn't have the chance to try Spyderco's DLC yet.
I've had some TiCn (I think that's how it's called), and another PVD coating, and a DLC from another brand. The DLC coating seemed to be the most durable, and resistant to scratches.

I'm not into black blades, but I don't mind them either. However, the DLC coating on that knife (can't remember wich knife it was) did not have a good finish, I did not like that. It seemed irregular. My bet is that it comes from the blade finish before coating, this thing must've had some problems :squinting-tongue

It's in my plans to by a DLC coated Spyderco, but sometimes it's hard to know wich coating is used on wich model. Japanese Spydercos seem to use TiCn and DLC seems to be found on Golden Spydercos, is that right ?
I believe you are correct. However I think the Taichung Taiwan plant does DLC too. My example would be the BHQ exclusive mint green Sage 5 in M4.
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Voted no. It’s a complication in production I just don’t need. I already have numerous Salts and even non-Salts that will survive nasty environments.

I say this even though I know DLC can be visually impactful, whether by reason of stealth or beauty. But I have no need to conceal my blades.

And I really don’t like canceling the affect of light on a bare blade rotated slowly to see its multiple facets, such as the six of the Bob Lum sprint currently in my hand.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”