Will there be a mini police?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
R100

Re: Will there be a mini police?

Post by R100 »

cjk wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:19 am
If the Rookie were to be brought back from the dead, I think I'd prefer a new design based on the Police 4 with a choil rather than just a re-release of the original.
This would be my preference. A G10 K390 version would be ideal.

Dan
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Rookie2 sounds awesome to me!

I had the pleasure of owning a Rookie and while it was an excellent knife, I think a Police4 based Rookie2 would be a huge hit and a better all around knife. FFG, Choil, K390?
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

sal wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:28 am
cjk wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:19 am
If the Rookie were to be brought back from the dead, I think I'd prefer a new design based on the Police 4 with a choil rather than just a re-release of the original.

I prefer this route than a Sprint Rookie. Unless some just want the Rookie for collection? We've learned quite a bit about design since we designed the Rookie.

sal
I’ll probably buy whatever gets cooked up with the Rookie name tag. That said, a newly designed Rookie sounds like a lot of fun. K390 and G10 wouldn’t be in-stock for long, least of all in spyderedge.
infinkc

Post by infinkc »

In for a rookie, I still have my original rookie, carried it for over 15 years, loved the knife, but stopped carrying it cause it had too much sentimental value.

Would love a carbon s90 rookie!
T-1000

Post by T-1000 »

Call it the "Defunded Police"
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Here's my "Police squad" including the Rookies :)

"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
T-1000

Post by T-1000 »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:01 am
Here's my "Police squad" including the Rookies :)

Drooling over that g-10 serrated. My dad was a 25 year LEO who was ecstatic when the p4 came out. I remember him saying " now this is police model we have been waiting for." He carried one on each side from when they came out until he passed. I carry his now in my back right pocket.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

What is the objective of a smaller Police that other Spydies—say, the straight-spine Stretch2—do not now meet?
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
brancron

Post by brancron »

The Rookie was a great little knife. I'd love to see a sprint run of it.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

When Sal says a Rookie sprint is NOT what he wants, why do people keep saying they’re in for this sprint?

tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Rookie 2... Coast guard edition (Salt) :cheap-sunglasses
MNOSD member 0011
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Marc,

I said my preference would be... That doesn't mean that I am not open to suggestions or opinions. In fact, I'm looking for thoughts and opinions. I'm not opposed to doing both; a Rookie sprint and new model. Sorry if I gave the impression that I was nixing the Rookie sprint. Some may want the Rookie to round out a collection or some like to carry the smaller knife.

Many of the Rookie's had a blade lenggh of 3-1/8. One was shortened to 3". If I made a new model, it would be 3".

sal
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

sal wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:25 pm
Hi Marc,

I said my preference would be... That doesn't mean that I am not open to suggestions or opinions. In fact, I'm looking for thoughts and opinions. I'm not opposed to doing both; a Rookie sprint and new model. Sorry if I gave the impression that I was nixing the Rookie sprint. Some may want the Rookie to round out a collection or some like to carry the smaller knife.

Many of the Rookie's had a blade lenggh of 3-1/8. One was shortened to 3". If I made a new model, it would be 3".

sal
Yes to all, please.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

sal wrote:
Hi Marc,

sal
Makes sense to me. I think I lean 3" redesign for the rookie. 6 inches for the XL :beaming-face
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
carrot

Post by carrot »

Personally I really like how the Rookie slots in to the lineup as compared to the Delica. It's thinner, sleeker, more svelte. I think it needs to maintain that character. Besides that, I don't think we necessarily need to be beholden to a 20 year old design.

Spyderco's biggest weakness in the lineup is having skinny knives that don't take up a lot of pocket space but still have decent length. Yes, there is the Ikuchi, but that's basically it. I personally like the hump very much for ergonomics, but it detracts from carry comfort / efficiency. A Rookie 2 could aim for that gap.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Screen Shot 2022-10-20 at 4.43.55 PM.jpg
True mini-Police! Police Tie Clip, fully functional AFAIK. Screenshot from ACK site.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

sal wrote:
I said my preference would be... That doesn't mean that I am not open to suggestions or opinions. In fact, I'm looking for thoughts and opinions.
Thanks, Sal, for opening a door I thought you’d closed, and my apologies to those who thought otherwise.

For history’s sake, I’d go for a second sprint of the original in some enticing steel and other-than-foliage-green G10. And, because I like to see your evolved thinking, I’d be down for a Rookie2.

In the meantime, I’ll try to find an original.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RamZar

Post by RamZar »

A Mini Police with a 2.99" blade length (maximum cutting edge) in a slim (smaller hump) pocket-friendly package would be great!
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I always found it interesting that the Rookie had a longer blade and shorter handle than the Delica. My problem with it has always been that short handle, my XXL hands just need more length to hold. A new model based on the P4 platform would be interesting to see.

And yes, the tieclip is a fully functional knife, but the clip doesn't make for a comfy handle.

Michal O

Post by Michal O »

But why K390. Cruwear is better for such delicate tip.
Current collection: Lil Temperance G10, Shaman, Lil Native, Massad Ayoob cruwear, Smock, Street Beat, Street Bowie, Para 3, PM2 purple G10 cruwear, Canis, Rhino, Endura 4 K390, Watu, Kapara, Amalgam, Sliverax, Police 4 se K390, Police 4 pe K390, Khukuri, Barong, Ulize.