Stretch XL discussion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
thewoodpecker

Re: Stretch XL discussion

Post by thewoodpecker »

sal wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:15 pm
…I'm planning the design in VG-10, CPM-Cruwear, K390 and a sprint in SPY27. I hope you like it. — sal

Excited about the upcoming SXL Cruwear + G10 however I am still hoping for an FRN version as well as the others per Sal's post and maybe a salt version too! I hope the SPY27 version has the same Mineral Blue as the M2LW.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

thewoodpecker wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:24 pm
sal wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:15 pm
…I'm planning the design in VG-10, CPM-Cruwear, K390 and a sprint in SPY27. I hope you like it. — sal
Excited about the upcoming SXL Cruwear + G10 however I am still hoping for an FRN version as well as the others per Sal's post and maybe a salt version too! I hope the SPY27 version has the same Mineral Blue as the M2LW.

Ditto that. I'd love to own a S-XL, but am waiting for a "fancy steel" version in FRN.

derangedhermit wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:05 am
- The scale shape. I wish the belly on the Stretch 2XL scales was less pronounced. It looks great, but my hand prefers a more subtle palm / finger swell.

Have to agree here, too. The Stretch has a very pronounced palm swell, which, if you like those, is great. It's not my favorite attribute, I'd wish for less "belly" in the handle, but I'll be buying one anyway.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
capt.carl

Post by capt.carl »

I think I might have to get one in VG-10. It's a nice steel that is looked down upon these days unfortunately, but it's easy to sharpen, takes a very fine edge, and is nicely corrosion resistant. The lower price definitely helps too!
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

capt.carl wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:02 pm
I think I might have to get one in VG-10. It's a nice steel that is looked down upon these days unfortunately, but it's easy to sharpen, takes a very fine edge, and is nicely corrosion resistant. The lower price definitely helps too!
VG-10 is fantastic. It serves me very well as an EDC steel - you just might touch it up a bit more.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

Carried the stretch 2xl today and it never fails to impress me…

The blade geometry is unbelievable, it’s lightweight and almost imperceptible in my pocket given its size, highly ergonomic and just plain enjoyable to use every time.
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

capt.carl wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:02 pm
I seriously doubt you will be disappointed .I think VG10 is a perfect introduction of this model . I was a little hesitant at first myself thinking I should wait for a different steel , I’m glad I ahead and purchased the XL . I will definitely get another variation, great knife . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

I have no stretch at the moment but i do want one since the straight spine was released. But i can say vg10 is still a wonderfull steel that is indeed becomming overlooked thx to the supersteel hype train. When i get one it will 80% chance be a vg10 blade. Or the price of the spy variant would be interestingly low enough then it will be that one since i still have no spydie in spy steel. ( Spyderco's fault if they made a g10 Manix 2 in spy steel i would have gotten it a long time ago :winking-tongue )
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

But I have so many VG10s already! Spyderco has spoiled me with its varied steel offerings and, in general, its switch to powder metallurgy steels (VG10 is still ingot). I wish I could get a S-XL LW in a PM steel.

But then I worry that if not enough of the VG10s sell, there might not be another S-XL offered.

So, conflicted.
Last edited by Bolster on Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:01 am
But I have so many VG10s already! Spyderco has spoiled me with its varied steel offerings and, in general, its switch to powder metallurgy steels (VG10 is still ingot). I wish I could get a S-XL in a PM steel.

But then I worry that if not enough of the VG10s sell, there might not be another S-XL offered.

So, conflicted.
Stretch Xl in a PM steel you say? :winking-tongue

Sal did mention SPY27 (basically VG-10 PM variant) as a variant for the XL one day. Hopefully that will still come to fruition.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:01 am
But I have so many VG10s already! Spyderco has spoiled me with its varied steel offerings and, in general, its switch to powder metallurgy steels (VG10 is still ingot). I wish I could get a S-XL LW in a PM steel.

So, conflicted.
ImageI think you need one ! 😊Dan
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 5:03 pm
I think you need one ! 😊Dan

Righteous finish on the blade! How did you get such a stunning and even result? What kind of voodoo is this?
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

In terms of size and ergos, how does the Stretch XL compare to the Military?

Also, for those with the SE version, how does it perform? Does it have the shallow/smoother SE pattern, or is it more spikey?

Kinda hoping the XL could serve as a SE Military surrogate until the Mil 2 is released.

SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

I have the Stretch K390 and I bought an XL Combo Edge. I like the XL a lot more even though its linerless. It just feels good in hand, action is so smooth like the Rock Jumper
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:21 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 5:03 pm
I think you need one ! 😊Dan

Righteous finish on the blade! How did you get such a stunning and even result? What kind of voodoo is this?
Hi Bolster ,acid etch blade and clip with done by Knives Plus along with a regrind . I gifted my first XL to a great Forum member . Dan
Henry David Thoreau
elena86

Post by elena86 »

mark greenman wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:51 pm

Also, for those with the SE version, how does it perform? Does it have the shallow/smoother SE pattern, or is it more spikey?

Kinda hoping the XL could serve as a SE Military surrogate until the Mil 2 is released.

I own the serrated variant. I would say the serrations are not mellow but not quite spikey either. I would describe them as shallow but not mellow and spikey enough to be aggressive for my liking. Being a spikey serrations fan I was reluctant to get one but I am happy I did.

P.S. My experience with VG10 in spyderedge is positive but I can’t explain why since VG10 is not a tough steel. Can’t wait for a serrated SXL in SPY27.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

elena86 wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:25 am
mark greenman wrote:

I own the serrated variant. I would say the serrations are not mellow but not quite spikey either. I would describe them as shallow but not mellow and spikey enough to be aggressive for my liking. Being a spikey serrations fan I was reluctant to get one but I am happy I did.

P.S. My experience with VG10 in spyderedge is positive but I can’t explain why since VG10 is not a tough steel. Can’t wait for a serrated SXL in SPY27.
Do you experience any snagging with the XL's SE pattern, say when slicing through cardboard or a bubble mailer from amazon?
capt.carl

Post by capt.carl »

The xl is an amazing design. Love how incredibly lightweight it is but also superbly balanced. Looking forward to a possible k390. It would be the perfect platform as a salt too.
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

I just hope the XL Salt will retain the XLs very fine, pointy tip, and not use the blunter tip employed on most of the Salt models.

To me the fine tip of the XL - reminiscent of the Endura 3 - is really compelling and a welcome change.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

mark greenman wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:22 am
I just hope the XL Salt will retain the XLs very fine, pointy tip, and not use the blunter tip employed on most of the Salt models.
I couldn't agree more. Not that the blunter tips are bad, it's just that we already have them on other designs.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

mark greenman wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:13 am
elena86 wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:25 am
mark greenman wrote:

Do you experience any snagging with the XL's SE pattern, say when slicing through cardboard or a bubble mailer from amazon?
Not while you keep it at peak sharpness.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red