M390 vs S90V

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
FeistyKat

M390 vs S90V

Post by FeistyKat »

Howdy do, again.

I'm looking at the upcoming release of the Native Chief™ Brown G-10 M390 Sprint Run (C244GDBN) next Tuesday.

I already have a Native Chief in S90V that I rarely carry because I love my Native Shaman just too damned much.

I feel like the Shaman is more "sturdy", stronger, whatever, because the blade is taller, it just looks more robust than the Chief.

So I'm wondering if M390 is so superior to S90V that I would feel more comfortable carrying it than the S90V. I know this is a stupid question, I'm probably subconciously asking someone to tell me it IS so I can start justifying spending $250 on a second Native Chief.

I DO like the brown scales better than black, so that's something. I think the slightly bulky "hand-made" looking scales that came on my Shaman would look great on the Chief, but I think I could get by with the stock scales.

Oh, and how would I order one of these knives on Tuesday? From the page that lists the knife as "Coming Soon"?

Oh, and feel free to tell me why I DON'T want one of these knives!

Regards,

FeistyKat
attila

Re: M390 vs S90V

Post by attila »

The only advantage M390 has over S90V is corrosion resistance, and S90V is no slouch with about 440C level corrosion resistance. I wish I had gotten one of them Chiefs.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

I don't have any experience with Spyderco's M390 but have used M390 from another knife company. And if I were to compare that M390 to Spyderco's S90V (of which I have a bit of experience using at work), I'd take S90V over M390 any day & twice on Sunday.

It keeps a fine edge and a working edge noticeably longer, and I find it more straightforward to sharpen, by which I mean sharpening S90V is just like sharpening S30V, but scaled up in terms of time. You work at it long enough, and you will eventually get a dulled S90V Spyderco back to screaming sharp. With M390, it just seems more temperamental when it comes to sharpening. I've read it described as being "gummy". M390's only advantage is in stain resistance, and even then, unless you're working in an environment where your tools are constantly exposed to corrosive compounds, you won't notice the difference.

Larrin Thomas has a nice table comparing the two (and a host of other steels) at the following link:

https://knifesteelnerds.com/2021/10/19/ ... esistance/
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I can't help with the steel choice, because I like both. I'd probably take S90V if I had to choose. But honestly, no steel will make a Chief as sturdy as a Shaman.

Edited to say that I rarely carry my Chief for the same reason: With absolutely no evidence to back this up, it just doesn't look as sturdy as several of my other folders. Most of them, in fact.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

If you don't mind the orange scales, there's also a CutleryShoppe exclusive Native Chief in CTS-XHP for significantly less than the upcoming M390 sprint.

XHP is said to have less edge retention than M390, but I like it because I can get XHP sharp with less effort.

https://cutleryshoppe.com/spyderco-c244 ... exclusive/
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I have over thought this too in regards to the Chief being too fragile at the tip. The problem is the ergos are just too good, and the lock too amazing, and the carry profile too fantastic not to carry. I don't really think it is a problem. If one were to break the tip, you could always grind it down and get one cool unique looking Chief blade. I love that knife.

As far as the steels, I don't think there is any argument to one over the other minus wear resistance. S90V having the advantage, but not significantly to make a huge difference. You have yourself a really great version of the Chief. I would carry it and enjoy it. I wish they were still around.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
elena86

Post by elena86 »

My “perfect” (safe queen) Paramilitary 2 when it comes to factory edge( perfect 15dps even cutting bevels), action and f&f is my blue M390 BBS exclusive.It’s a beauty and I love it so much but… I wish it was in S90V. Enough said.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
BIGSTRETCH

Post by BIGSTRETCH »

Spyderco does a really good job on both of these steels. M390 will sharpen up to a fine edge more easily and keep it for a long time. You will have a hard time getting as keen of an edge on s90v but it will keep cutting for longer.

If your s90v gets as sharp as you want it to then you are already ahead of the rest in edge retention.
rgc

Post by rgc »

mikey177 wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:26 pm
If you don't mind the orange scales, there's also a CutleryShoppe exclusive Native Chief in CTS-XHP for significantly less than the upcoming M390 sprint.

XHP is said to have less edge retention than M390, but I like it because I can get XHP sharp with less effort.

I have an M390 Bradford Gaurdian3 that holds a great edge but is a ***** to sharpen. I also have the Chief in CTS-XHP that I got because it was orange and at a great price ($155 new). Mikey177 is right, even I can get that XHP wicked sharp with no problem. Now I get why the Cutlery Shoppe uses it, it is a great user steel.

I was going to get the Chief in M390 too as I just love the Chief in pocket and in hand, but, the more I think about it the more I think I want to try that Stretch 2 XL that is coming out in a little bit. Wish it was available in orange g10 but grey could be cool too.
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

zuludelta wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:03 pm
I don't have any experience with Spyderco's M390 but have used M390 from another knife company. And if I were to compare that M390 to Spyderco's S90V (of which I have a bit of experience using at work), I'd take S90V over M390 any day & twice on Sunday.

It keeps a fine edge and a working edge noticeably longer, and I find it more straightforward to sharpen, by which I mean sharpening S90V is just like sharpening S30V, but scaled up in terms of time. You work at it long enough, and you will eventually get a dulled S90V Spyderco back to screaming sharp. With M390, it just seems more temperamental when it comes to sharpening. I've read it described as being "gummy". M390's only advantage is in stain resistance, and even then, unless you're working in an environment where your tools are constantly exposed to corrosive compounds, you won't notice the difference.

Larrin Thomas has a nice table comparing the two (and a host of other steels) at the following link:

https://knifesteelnerds.com/2021/10/19/ ... esistance/
I don’t find spyderco’s m390 gummy at all, I think they do the best job with it of any production company.

Buuuuut I’m not saying that puts it above s90v.

For what it’s worth, I believe Sal has said S90v is his favorite steel.That carries a lot of weight in my book.
Last edited by aaronkb on Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FeistyKat

Post by FeistyKat »

OK, good enough, you've talked me out of the M390!

Thanks for helping me avoid buyer's remorse.

mikey177 wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:26 pm

Now I'm looking at that version of the Native Chief!

JSumm wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:58 pm
I have over thought this too in regards to the Chief being too fragile at the tip. The problem is the ergos are just too good, and the lock too amazing, and the carry profile too fantastic not to carry. I don't really think it is a problem. If one were to break the tip, you could always grind it down and get one cool unique looking Chief blade. I love that knife.

As far as the steels, I don't think there is any argument to one over the other minus wear resistance. S90V having the advantage, but not significantly to make a huge difference. You have yourself a really great version of the Chief. I would carry it and enjoy it. I wish they were still around.
That's the only thing I don't like about the Shaman: the lock. I really prefer a back lock on a knife. I think I'm going to start giving my Chief some carry time.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

FeistyKat wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:53 pm
Howdy do, again.

I'm looking at the upcoming release of the Native Chief™ Brown G-10 M390 Sprint Run (C244GDBN) next Tuesday.
I looked all over and I cannot find anything saying "Tuesday October 18th direct from the SFO" is the release date.

Can you tell me where the announcement is?

What time are they going to be available Tuesday October 18th direct from SFO? Anyone know?

I hope these don't sell out fast... I'll never get one.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

FeistyKat wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:19 am
OK, good enough, you've talked me out of the M390!

Thanks for helping me avoid buyer's remorse.
Buddafucco wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:59 am
Two new Native Chief Sprint Run models will be available on Tuesday October 18th at 9am MDT factory direct from Spyderco. Limit 1 each per household.
I see the announcement now. Not sure how I missed it.

Thank you!

I like the design so I'm trying to snag one of each.

If Spyderco made an Native Chief XL, I'd have to have it! Maybe someday!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Teddy0215

Post by Teddy0215 »

I wouldn’t worry about the strength of the Chief. I will concede that I believe my Shaman is a stronger overall knife, I have no reservations using my Chiefs hard though. I have two in two different steels and use them harder than most I would say. I’ve even dropped them both on concrete off of ladders multiple times and haven’t broken a tip off yet. I’ve probably jinxed myself now though.

I like both steels, to your original question though. I think you’d be happy with either.
Slightly obsessed…
vanka

Post by vanka »

If it comes to the steel I would pick S90V over M390 anytime. If it's about sturdy, beat up knife Shaman is way better in any steel. But then again it depends where you live and what you do with your knife. If rust and pitting is a concern, M390 is excellent choice. On the other hand the Native Chief doesn't look like a beat up knife, but the long blade with the pointy tip is very useful in a lot of scenarios. For me it's a scalpel on steroids. Everytime I have a tiny splinter under my skin the Native Chief is there to save the day.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

The S90V CF model is in my view superior and more desirable than the M390 G10 model. You love the Shaman, and you already have a nice Chief, so why not get a Shaman in another material combo instead?
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Both are fantastic steels, and honestly unless you are a really keen sharpener you probably won’t tell much of a difference. Spyderco does a fantastic job with both, so pick your scale of choice!

The Wife photo bomb!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

I'd side with s90v, but m390 is great as well. But my s90v chief is one of my favorite knives to carry. Now if I had an s90v/cf shaman to go with it... Mmmm
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
soulspy

Post by soulspy »

I bought some m390-family of steel early and loved it, but it seemed to always want to chip a little if I got to aggressive or just grazed something hard. That's when I realized that I wanted to avoid that characteristic and moved to favoring toughness over stain resistance.

I only have one s90V and I haven't used it too hard, but I have liked it so far. It seems to be run at a higher hardness than the m390/204p. This makes s90v feel different on the sharpmaker. m390 always felt buttery on the sharpmaker, whereas s90v feels quite a bit *cannot think of a word to describe it* harder. It makes a different sound that is recognizable as being a higher hardness after you use the sharpmaker for years...

Both are great, but I've moved from m390-family, back to some m4, rex45, and others. s90v seems to be a great option for a long wearing very stain resistant steel.

I'm looking forward to the sprint Siren in s90v.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Yeaaaa, the S90V Chief is one that whenever I see it, it tempts me. But, I try to be logical that I already have it in Rex45 and M4...and have the holy grail S90V Military. Every time I see that Chief though... One of these nights, after a couple too many drinks...I'll probably end up with one in my mailbox a few days later :smirk
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick