Dragonfly on PFD

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
atv223

Dragonfly on PFD

Post by atv223 »

I love my Spyderco Knives and I've been trying to find a good way to carry one on my PFD while kayak fishing. After lots of trial and error, I finally have a system I like. I use a short length of 95 Paracord tied in a loop with a big stop knot. This allows the loop to easily slip through the lanyard hole so it can be removed without untying the knot. The loop connects to a small aluminum/stainless steel clip that's tied to a Key-Bak zinger. The DF shown is my 3rd one, the other 2 were donated to the Atlantic Ocean in OBX and the Caribean in Jamaica, but not while kayak fishing though. I've been using this setup for a while now and I really like it. I don't worry about losing the knife and I have a full range of motion.

I keep waiting for Sal to do a new release of the Caspian salt, maybe in LC200N, so I can finally replace that old Gerber Rescue knife! :winking-tongue

VooDooChild

Re: Dragonfly on PFD

Post by VooDooChild »

Nice.
How long does a zinger hold up with regular salt water exposure? Im assuming the internal spring is stainless. I could use to get a long time out of cheap carabiners even with daily salt water exposure until they fell apart.

I have thought about doing a similar setup but I have been very lucky as far as losing knives go, so far...
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
atv223

Post by atv223 »

VooDooChild wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:16 pm
Nice.
How long does a zinger hold up with regular salt water exposure? Im assuming the internal spring is stainless. I could use to get a long time out of cheap carabiners even with daily salt water exposure until they fell apart.

I have thought about doing a similar setup but I have been very lucky as far as losing knives go, so far...
Yes, the spring is stainless. So far it’s holding up well, but I don’t know how long it’ll last. I do know that Key-Bak provides zingers to Boomerang snips and I’ve been using them for years and they hold up well with things other then the zinger failing. I’d expect to get at least a year but maybe 3+. They aren’t terribly expensive.
Fly Fishing Rick

Post by Fly Fishing Rick »

Since you already have a fixed blade on your pfd for quick access in the event of an emergency, I would clip that folder inside one of the pockets to use for everything you might need a knife for on the water and keep your fixed blade sharp for emergencies. For safety reasons, you should always try to reduce the amount of things clipped to your pfd that can get caught on things.
-Jimmy
huyfishin

Post by huyfishin »

Ohhhhh so we are doing pfd knife photos now!

I need to change out this fish hunter for the enuff salt so I don’t stab myself in the neck when u put it away
I Play With Salt Knives / instagram huyfishin
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

huyfishin wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:57 am

I need to change out this fish hunter for the enuff salt so I don’t stab myself in the neck when u put it away
GOD.
Yeah, please change that setup. A knife that sheaths right next to your neck, on a rocking boat!

And of all the knives its the fish hunter...

Just seems dangerous.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
huyfishin

Post by huyfishin »

VooDooChild wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:45 pm
huyfishin wrote:

GOD.
Yeah, please change that setup. A knife that sheaths right next to your neck, on a rocking boat!

Just seems dangerous.
Haven't had any troubles just yet!!! but yes i do plan on changing it to an enuff salt and saving this one for actual spearfishing.
I Play With Salt Knives / instagram huyfishin
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

huyfishin wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:34 am
VooDooChild wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:45 pm
huyfishin wrote:

GOD.

Just seems dangerous.
Haven't had any troubles just yet!!! but yes i do plan on changing it to an enuff salt and saving this one for actual spearfishing.
Your pic kinda gave me the heebie jeebies and made me a little nervous. Then again, I don't do any white river rafting or kayaking, etc. Most of my fishing is from shore or surf now-a-days. Looking forward to receiving the newly released serrated Swick 6 in a couple of days for gillin' surf perch. If you keep fish, have you considered a Swick?