CPM 15v Manix 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
aaronkb

Re: CPM 15v Manix 2

Post by aaronkb »

Edited, double comment - please delete
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Shawn, Sal, Eric, and all those who worked to make this project happen, thanks for bringing us another "exotic" and interesting steel. I'm very much looking forward to trying this stuff out! I'm a bit of an incurable steel nerd, and enjoy playing with sharpening these high wear resistance steels, and seeing what they can do in my decidedly unscientific daily use testing. Very cool to see the hardness info, that's a bit of a rare thing to see coming from Spyderco (or, by proxy in this case, Shawn). 65Rc is great.

This one's gonna be fun, hopefully I can grab one of these sprint knives when they find their way to the wild!
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Wandering_About wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:42 pm
Shawn, Sal, Eric, and all those who worked to make this project happen, thanks for bringing us another "exotic" and interesting steel. I'm very much looking forward to trying this stuff out! I'm a bit of an incurable steel nerd, and enjoy playing with sharpening these high wear resistance steels, and seeing what they can do in my decidedly unscientific daily use testing. Very cool to see the hardness info, that's a bit of a rare thing to see coming from Spyderco (or, by proxy in this case, Shawn). 65Rc is great.

This one's gonna be fun, hopefully I can grab one of these sprint knives when they find their way to the wild!
THANK you, it was a really cool project, I'm very grateful to have been a part of it.

I am very excited for my fellow steel and edge nerds that have been wanting to try something like this but could not get it from a product company until now.

So BIG thanks to Sal and Eric and the Spyderco crew.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

This Manix2 Sprint will go fast considering the premium 15V steel & G-10 with stainless steel liners for just $157.50 while the regular production Manix2 S30V & G-10 with stainless steel liners goes for $138.60! Fortunately, it’ll be available at many dealers spread over weeks. Kudos!
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

RamZar wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:55 pm
This Manix2 Sprint will go fast considering the premium 15V steel & G-10 with stainless steel liners for just $157.50 while the regular production Manix2 S30V & G-10 with stainless steel liners goes for $138.60! Fortunately, it’ll be available at many dealers spread over weeks. Kudos!
Anyone know or able to share how many were made? Are we all going after a few hundred?
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

When you’ve observed pseudoscientists, conspiracy theorists, and the like interact and attempt to debate with those of shrewd and logical scientific thinking at the forefront of an advancing field of knowledge (like I have in my ongoing pursuit of a paleontological passion), you see some behavioral tendencies in a new light.

Such behaviors can be found in nearly every forum of discussion to varying degrees and that includes this one. I don’t think it’s so bad on this forum, in general, or in any particular individual here, but just something to keep in mind when contemplating the nature of technical discussions fundamentally rooted in education and passions for pursuing evidence-based functional performance (more broadly caused by a “love of the cut” or whatever, of course).
Especially, now that we know from some scientific studies and anecdotal observations that this pandemic has potentially significantly increased the prevalence of pseudoscientific and related cultural tendencies.

Regarding those who would likely be most interested in this thread/CPM15V, we want to maximize performance by increasing knowledge and I think Spyderco’s, BBB’s, Larrin’s, and friends actions and words regarding CPM15V, MagnaCut, etc. are steps toward that goal.
Misrepresentating their actions or statements is contrary to it. Certain reactions to being called out for doing so may be reasonably ignored and considered those of a troll by some or remind others (me) of pseudoscience.

Perhaps I’m taking this too seriously, but that is all I want to say. Forgive me for lacking the decency to pull my punch after Sal called the match. Reminds me of the first time I boxed a friend, and we’re still friends, so I’d like to shamelessly request a similar outcome here, despite everything. I’m a bit stubborn, I guess.

Edit: I want to say that I’m not too serious to appreciate some lighthearted reference to something like astrology, which is one of those scary pseudosciences I’m warning the forum of before it’s too late (Hopefully my sarcasm is seen). I understand that leaving a comment like this can give the impression I have some personal problem with non-scientific things, but that is not case. I just prefer to think that way when it comes to this kind of conversation, myself.
Last edited by Cl1ff on Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:44 am, edited 4 times in total.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:41 pm
the difficulty in sharpening these highly allowed steels can be excessive retained austenite due to heat treatment and perhaps in some some cases combined with excessive plate martensite.
Thanks for this post. Mere seconds before reading it, I was planning on asking WHY this newfangled heat treating recipe was different than those that have been used previously. This provided sufficient information to slake my curiosity, but not so much as to be overwhelming. Probably like most of us laymen, we want to be a little smarter every day, but we're not going to devote the effort to become metallurgists any time soon.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

RustyIron wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:55 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:41 pm
the difficulty in sharpening these highly allowed steels can be excessive retained austenite due to heat treatment and perhaps in some some cases combined with excessive plate martensite.
Thanks for this post. Mere seconds before reading it, I was planning on asking WHY this newfangled heat treating recipe was different than those that have been used previously. This provided sufficient information to slake my curiosity, but not so much as to be overwhelming. Probably like most of us laymen, we want to be a little smarter every day, but we're not going to devote the effort to become metallurgists any time soon.
Thank you, it's sometimes difficult to keep myself from getting too technical.

Here's a bonus for the thread.

My Spyderco Yojumbo S90V hardness tested at 62.0rc
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
mpc2

Post by mpc2 »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:59 pm
The target hardness for the Spyderco CPM 15V is 65.0rc

I am happy to share this Manix 2 matches the hardness with a very tight average of 65.0 +/-0.1

Average of three readings was 65.0, 65.0, 65.1

Keep in mind however there can be some variation with batches not to mention variation from different hardness testers and operators.
Very cool, thanks for the information!
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

It's like a Christmas calendar ! BBB thanks for giving us more and more info about that knife, how it was made, how it can and will perform and more.

Your posts are something I look forward to.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
electro-static

Post by electro-static »

If Triple B developed the protocol using one of his favorite steels, this is one knife that I definitely have to own. I’ve been wanting a manix for a while, but have been waiting for a special steel, I’m super psyched about this one hopefully they won’t all sell out before I can snag one.
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

Thanks to Sal, Eric, and Shawn for all that you continue to do. Very excited about this one. Get to try out a new steel with specialized heat treat in one of my top 5 designs. Win-win.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Thanks guys, I think it's important to also note some hardnesses of K390 and CPM 10V

On the K390 PM2 I have it measured 63.5rc

With the REC CPM 10V PM2 it measured 64.6rc
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:42 am
Thanks guys, I think it's important to also note some hardnesses of K390 and CPM 10V

Thanks, Shawn. And Rex45? I recall it being higher…
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

wrdwrght wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:54 am
Deadboxhero wrote:

CPM Rex 45 67.1rc on my Para 3 lightweight
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Rymanz

Post by Rymanz »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:59 pm
The target hardness for the Spyderco CPM 15V is 65.0rc

I am happy to share this Manix 2 matches the hardness with a very tight average of 65.0 +/-0.1

Average of three readings was 65.0, 65.0, 65.1

Keep in mind however there can be some variation with batches not to mention variation from different hardness testers and operators.
That should put this near Z-Max levels of edge retention, based on Larrin's chart!

:bug-red
Models: PM2, Endura 4, Chaparral, Para 3 LW, Rescue 3, Para 3, Shaman, Manix 2, Native 5
Steels: Elmax, S30V, XHP, 4V, VG-10, CPM CRU-WEAR, K390, Z-WEAR, S45VN, 204P, REX 45
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:08 am
this is what i needed to see. i don't use my folders harder than you do in this video, but want to know i can at least push it to some outdoor use if the need arises.

as i said earlier, corrosion resistance is typically my main concern, but i've used d2 and managed to not rust it and have other carbon steel fixed blades that i can deal with just fine. i also recently got my first cruwear and it's going well so far. after watching your k390 videos and seeing pics of the patina, i think i can handle that. especially in my favorite knife and with a stonewash (my favorite blade finish). i've been considering trying k390 anyway, so maybe this is the way to go after all.

so, how does the patina/corrosion compare between k390 and 15v? and how does this steel handle zip ties and the like? thanks!
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
anycal

Post by anycal »

As someone with only one G10 Manix, I have been waiting for something like this for a while. Looking forward to it, should I be able to score one. 👍🏻
Peter
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:19 am
Deadboxhero wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:08 am
this is what i needed to see. i don't use my folders harder than you do in this video, but want to know i can at least push it to some outdoor use if the need arises.

as i said earlier, corrosion resistance is typically my main concern, but i've used d2 and managed to not rust it and have other carbon steel fixed blades that i can deal with just fine. i also recently got my first cruwear and it's going well so far. after watching your k390 videos and seeing pics of the patina, i think i can handle that. especially in my favorite knife and with a stonewash (my favorite blade finish). i've been considering trying k390 anyway, so maybe this is the way to go after all.

so, how does the patina/corrosion compare between k390 and 15v? and how does this steel handle zip ties and the like? thanks!

With this special heat treatment it should be less reactive than if it was using the standard heat treatment from the data sheet, it will still be more reactive than cruwear.

So perhaps it may be less reactive than Spyderco 10V and Spyderco K390 but I don't have anything quantifiable for you.

As far as zip ties I think that's a good idea for a video and side-by-side testing with different Spyderco knife steels at the same edge geometry etc.
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

wrdwrght wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:54 am
Deadboxhero wrote:

Thanks, again.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”