Next Project To Revive Another GOLDEN ERA Model

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
curdog

Re: Next Project To Revive Another GOLDEN ERA Model

Post by curdog »

Original yojimbo
Original ronin
Centofante 1 and temperance 1
Any in a premium steel
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

curdog wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:53 am
Original yojimbo
Original ronin
Centofante 1 and temperance 1
Any in a premium steel
That original RONIN model was one I dearly loved. I've been trying to find another one for the past 3 years but I've never found anyone willing to trade or sell one.

And THANK YOU!!! so much for your mention of the TEMPERANCE 1 model. Next to the recently accomplished wish of the new C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run that just came to life>> I've wanted to see the TEMPERANCE 1 come back in SE & PE both but in the Salt Series with anti-Corrosion blades.

To this day the original TEMP 1 is still my all time favorite Spyderco fixed blade. A Salt Series version would be a "dream come true" for outdoorsmen, Hunters and Fishermen. And in both edge types please.
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

Cool thread, as I’ve been thinking about some the old school Spydies lately. I’d be loving an Executive or Spur with upgraded steel and tip up clip. Keep them plain edged with steel handles or maybe even titanium. I’d be a happy boy
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

flipe8 wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:40 pm
Cool thread, as I’ve been thinking about some the old school Spydies lately. I’d be loving an Executive or Spur with upgraded steel and tip up clip. Keep them plain edged with steel handles or maybe even titanium. I’d be a happy boy
Thank you for bringing up that SPUR model. It's truly one of Spyderco's carefully hidden secrets. There was just something about that folder that intrigued me for a small bladed model. Not many people even know that the SPUR ever existed.

I only ever had one of the Executive models. And it was ideal for an every day carry for someone who just wants a plain jane type folder to EDC. For an office worker or a file clerk it would be perfect.

I think the SPUR would be an ideal lady's knife. To bad they never made one with a Pink handle like they did with other models. Two other small bladed Spyderco models that also never get mentioned are the SPIN and the SPOT models.

I think we're on the road to either a JD Smith, C-54 Calypso or ROOKIE model so far. But please keep your suggestions coming. We don't have to decide about this in the next ten minutes. So keep the suggestions coming in.
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

A C-54 Calypso would be so nice.
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Ngati Pom wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:41 am
A C-54 Calypso would be so nice.
I'm thinking that the Cruwear that they've used on the new C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run would be ideal. And maybe an original Micarta handle like the first one had. But a nice, updated G-10 handle would be A-OK as well.

Also the original version of the C-54 Calypso was also available in full SE. It was like a chain saw in full SE.
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:05 pm

I think we're on the road to either a JD Smith, C-54 Calypso or ROOKIE model so far. But please keep your suggestions coming. We don't have to decide about this in the next ten minutes. So keep the suggestions coming in.

I carried a Rookie as my primary EDC for several years and would be happy to do so again!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

flipe8 wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:49 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:05 pm

I carried a Rookie as my primary EDC for several years and would be happy to do so again!
Which blade steel do you think would be good if they decide on a Rookie? I'm thinking that a Rookie or C-01 Worker model with Magnacut would be cool.
I'm also just blown away how good this C-60 Ayoob Sprint model is with Cruwear. I've been extremely pleased with the PE & SE. I wouldn't even object if they did 4 to 5 more Sprint Runs with Cruwear. It's an excellent blade steeI in my humble opinion. I just love these older models with these newer/better blade steels. And I do hope there will be more of them down the road.

I have nothing against VG-10 and I still like it better than S-30V but I've already got so many VG-10 models as it is. This has been a most interesting thread thus far but please don't stop the suggestions because we found a few models that we all like.
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

I’d be happy with most offerings these days, but have also enjoyed the performance I’ve experienced with Cruwear as well.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

flipe8 wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:16 pm
I’d be happy with most offerings these days, but have also enjoyed the performance I’ve experienced with Cruwear as well.
I would love to see a ROOKIE model with K390, M390 or even this Cruwear they used on the newest C-60 model.

If you all want the Rookie just say so and I'll try to lobby for it. The C-60 Ayoob is in the history books and we need to look at the next classic with a face lift of new materials.

I'm still torn between the JD Smith, C-54 Calypso and the KRIS model>> but that's just my preferences. I'll go with what the rest of you like. Because really I like just about all the models from the GOLDEN ERA ( 1998-2004).
Jurmuscle

Post by Jurmuscle »

I don't know if it's a golden era model but I love this story. "One of New York's finest was an NYPD officer named John D'Allara. Officer D'Allara was a long-time Spyderco collector who owned and used nearly every model we've made. Sadly he was one of the many police officers who never came out of the World Trade Center on September 11th 2001. When we approached the release date of our new rescue knife, we thought it fitting to name it in his honor." For the Spyderco D'Allara. Would love to own a remake of the original. Maybe like a full metal version. Either Ti or SS.
:usflag :bug-red :bug-white-red :usflag
If we spent as much time trying as we do doubting, we might have already accomplished it.

-Tom
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Dumb question. The rookie looks very similar to the Delica. One difference being the grind. Is that correct?

The more I look at the Calypso, the more excited I get for another sprint run to experience it. Seems like a great model that should have stuck around.

Also, still greedy and want the maker in Moki to focus on more Caly 3.5 configurations.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

The Rookie is a scaled down Police model and is very different to the Delica. But, maybe that's why it was disco'd because everyone said "I already have a Delica, why do I want a Rookie?"
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:21 am
The Rookie is a scaled down Police model and is very different to the Delica. But, maybe that's why it was disco'd because everyone said "I already have a Delica, why do I want a Rookie?"
Gotcha. I was looking at the scale/handle profile and thinking man that looks like a Delica.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Screen Shot 2022-08-30 at 10.58.01 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-08-30 at 10.58.23 AM.jpg
Shockingly, I did not have a standard Delica 4 at hand. Anyway, here is a Rookie next to a Delica 4 Wharncliffe.

The Rookie is also a single liner G10 construction. I also suspect Spyderco would bring it back as FFG, which would cause me to skip it unless it was in a very compelling handle material and blade steel combo.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:16 pm
flipe8 wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:16 pm
I would love to see a ROOKIE model with K390, M390 or even this Cruwear they used on the newest C-60 model.

If you all want the Rookie just say so and I'll try to lobby for it. The C-60 Ayoob is in the history books and we need to look at the next classic with a face lift of new materials.

I'm still torn between the JD Smith, C-54 Calypso and the KRIS model>> but that's just my preferences. I'll go with what the rest of you like. Because really I like just about all the models from the GOLDEN ERA ( 1998-2004).
JD , definitely would like to see a JD Smith but wonder since there was an updated run if it would be considered ? A Calypso would be very appealing , an upgraded revision would,get my vote . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:00 am
Thanks for the comparison. A little smaller than I thought.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

Temperance 1. Sal said on the forum that he asked for a grey handled VG10 one a few months ago. I don't know the status on this version. Guess Sal might chime in later.
shb64

Post by shb64 »

I hate that I missed out on the Michael Walker, but a new sprint in one of those with Micarta and Magnacut would be sweet.
sal

Post by sal »

Jim Malone wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:13 am
Temperance 1. Sal said on the forum that he asked for a grey handled VG10 one a few months ago. I don't know the status on this version. Guess Sal might chime in later.

Hi Jim,

In-the-works.

sal