Do we really need a finger choil ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Do we really need a finger choil ?

Post by Doc Dan »

I don't like finger choils as a rule. I like the one on the Military if I have to have one. It is not intrusive. Otherwise, I'd rather have more cutting edge and a handle with a finger guard that goes all the way out. I think choils waste good useable space.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
vivi

Post by vivi »

I regularly use 10-14" knives at work that have no choil and they're easy enough to control. for cutting a cardboard box with a 3-4" blade a handle like the Resilience or Endura gives me plenty of control.
:unicorn
rooster81

Post by rooster81 »

I prefer choils for pocket knives, generally speaking, because choking up gives me better control for fine work.

The only knives that I prefer without a choil are wood working knives where you might need the added leverage and/or kitchen knives.

But what's great about Spyderco is there are enough models available that you should be able to find something that fits what you're looking for.
PeanutButterFan

Post by PeanutButterFan »

Sal and Eric like finger choils. If you are someone who does not then spyderco may not be the brand for you.

As someone previously mentioned, spyderco makes plenty of knives that have finger choils and without. There are so many designs that it just seems silly to me to complain about a feature that many spydercos have.

It’s important to note the design philosophy behind spyderco knives. They design the edge first, then the blade to support that edge, and lastly the handle. Perfect blade to handle ratio is not a top priority for spyderco knives, generally. Also, the idea that a finger choil is just wasting potential edge real-estate, in my opinion, is invalid because the edge length is already established before the blade is even designed.

At the end of the day, they are all luxury items that no one NEEDS.
SchoonerBum

Post by SchoonerBum »

I can never decide if I like choils or not. My first Spyderco folder was a Native 5 Salt that I carried every day for nearly 3 years despite catching the Spyderco sickness and acquiring a lot more options. Then I picked up a Manbug one day and without thinking put my index finger in the choil. It went better than I would have expected (no blood drawn, surprisingly) but I switched over to my Pacific Salt 2 that very day, and I continue to be just as happy. All of my knives with choils are sock drawer queens right now but when we hopefully see a Stretch XL Salt appear I'll probably try the choil thing again.

At the end of the day I'm glad we have options!
SRT392HEMI

Post by SRT392HEMI »

Just checked, and all mine have choils, so I guess I like em. Medium-average hands, but do find myself using the choil quite a bit.
embry386

Post by embry386 »

derangedhermit wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:03 am
vivi wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:49 am

They already make a standard, big, lightweight knife with max edge length and no choil. The Resilience is exactly that.

I dismissed it for a while because eww china / 8cr. but these days I would rather carry one over any Police or Military variation. The design is very good.
I agree 100%. Standard, big, lightweight knife with max edge length / no choil - and I have to add 4-way carry.

If I can't buy an expensive Spyderco that best fits what I want, I will reluctantly buy a less expensive one.
Oh wow, this picture is making me reconsider the Resilience. I've seen them before but always kind of dismissed them due to the linerlock, and didn't think of them when making that post.

I don't like linerlocks, but this knife might be worth trying anyway. And the lower price is a nice feature as well, won't feel bad about using it hard (or about buying multiples to keep in the car, the kitchen, etc).
harpo1

Post by harpo1 »

I own both the Resilience and Tenacious in S35VN and fit and finish is as good if not better than any other spyderco I own. I wouldn't hesitate to buy either of these.
--Pete
gad226

Post by gad226 »

Generally, with less than 3” blade, a choil feels natural. Over 3” the choil seems unnecessary, and even interferes with cutting.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Such a shame that that the Resilience is vastly underappreciated by many on this forum. Many feel that Chinese made knives must be low quality. No knife gets to be a Spyderco without meeting Spyderco standards. NONE. Most of the Spydercos I've purchased are task specific mostly with hunting and fishing applications in mind. My S35VN Resilience on the other hand is just a great solid all around general purpose utilitarian knife and blade design including SD against Russian bears. :winking-tongue As far as build quality, fit, and finish go, it is right up there and I'm greatly impressed. And yesssssss, the Spydiehole is polished. :winking-tongue Turning out to be even more of a gem than I had anticipated.
vivi

Post by vivi »

skeeg11 wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:10 pm
Such a shame that that the Resilience is vastly underappreciated by many on this forum. Many feel that Chinese made knives must be low quality. No knife gets to be a Spyderco without meeting Spyderco standards. NONE. Most of the Spydercos I've purchased are task specific mostly with hunting and fishing applications in mind. My S35VN Resilience on the other hand is just a great solid all around general purpose utilitarian knife and blade design including SD against Russian bears. :winking-tongue As far as build quality, fit, and finish go, it is right up there and I'm greatly impressed. And yesssssss, the Spydiehole is polished. :winking-tongue Turning out to be even more of a gem than I had anticipated.
I'm guilty. I overlooked it for years because I had an assortment top shelf spydies. Figured why would I carry a chinese linerlock in 8Cr when I had a micarta m4 manix xl, k390/pakkawood police, DLC Military and other nice knives.

After giving it a lot of carry this summer it's become my favorite knife to EDC.

For me the choil / no choil debate isn't as much about maximizing the edge to handle ratio as it is general cutting performance.

I typically don't buy knives that have sharpening choils because they get hung up on things I cut.

While having the start of the index choil sit lower than the edge helps mitigate this issue, things still get hung up on finger choils as well.

That's the main reason I like having the edge all the way to the handle. As a bonus, I get just as much control as with an index choil, but less snagging.

Even something like the Endura / Pacific Salt sometimes snags on things in the kick area.
:unicorn
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

That snagging is a huge reason why I don't like choils. It is irritating and tears whatever I'm trying to cut. It makes more work.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Other than the DF2, I have no interest in owning a knife that has a finger choil.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Screen Shot 2022-08-23 at 1.49.43 PM.jpg
Cutting edge right up to your grip, no choil, no sharp opening hole, no clip screw holes, no funky serrations, no show stopping little tabs of titanium, no "out there" designs, no higher than expected cost. Did I solve all of this months complaints?

Oh, no, this has a terrible blade to handle ratio. Oh dear. We must all receive our Unicorn! :unicorn
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
billdoier72

Post by billdoier72 »

On a pocket folder? Yes.

I always thought it was a huge mistake the Delica didn't have one.

YMMV
Delica 4 VG10 - Dragonfly 2 K390 Warnnie - Chaparral CTS-XHP - Native 5 M4/Rex/45/4v - Para 3 CTS-BD1/Maaxamet/4V/20CV - Lil Native - Cruwear - Sage 5 S30V - Jester 4V
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

I’ve never had a spyderco that has a finger choil and didn’t think it enhanced the design or created a sure comfortable grip in hand. In the case of the Caly 3 and delica models, both very similar sized handles in the hand, but I feel I can get much better control over the blade on the Caly than I can the delica because of that awesome choil. The amount of models they have with choils that are home run designs and are beloved tells me finger choils are popular and preferred in the general market.
:bug-red-white
PeanutButterFan

Post by PeanutButterFan »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:55 am
Screen Shot 2022-08-23 at 1.49.43 PM.jpg

Cutting edge right up to your grip, no choil, no sharp opening hole, no clip screw holes, no funky serrations, no show stopping little tabs of titanium, no "out there" designs, no higher than expected cost. Did I solve all of this months complaints?

Oh, no, this has a terrible blade to handle ratio. Oh dear. We must all receive our Unicorn! :unicorn
But no mAgNaCut so it’s worthless
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

While I’m not opposed to choils, I rarely buy knives with them. I generally prefer knives with as much cutting edge as possible. I found the Caly 3.5 struck a great balance between integrating a choil while maintaining good cutting edge ratios.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I like pronounced choils that you have to use (native 5, chaparral) or cutting edge that goes all the way to the handle (polestar)
miohin

Post by miohin »

I started out with a Tenacious and was shocked how much edge real estate the choil gobbled up when I got a Manix 2.

That being said, I prefer maximized cutting edge in concept but find myself carrying the Manix or Endura more than my Tenacious. Likely due to weight and the psychology of them being "nicer" than the fact that I prefer their ricasso/choil.
Lurker