C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by sal »

Hi Squidlauncher,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Squidlauncher

Post by Squidlauncher »

sal wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:42 am
Hi Squidlauncher,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Thank you sir! I've been watching this thread from the shadows, but I love this community so I decided to add my two cents. As I said, I've had my blade for over a week now, but I still check this thread multiple times daily. Just fun seeing other people's findings and hearing stories.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

nerdlock wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:29 am
Out of the blue request - could anyone post a comparison pic of the Ayoob with a PM2, Shaman, and/or Manix 2? Thanks!

- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
benben

Post by benben »

It has been a fun thread, looking forward to getting mine tomorrow. It should make a great companion to go along with my Cru-Wear Manix.

I'll post some pics with the Manix and my old original C60. Thanks again Sal.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Mine arrived last night. Luck of the draw, I got a snaggle-tooth version. Better me than a first time Spyderco buyer! At least now I'll have no qualms about using it.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
markg

Post by markg »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:52 pm
benben wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:29 am
Looks like I just got the last SE from New Graham, thanks Beau!!
I'm hoping that New Graham will get some more of these and I'm quite sure they will. They have been my "Go -To" dealer for some time now.

I'm sure that everyone that really wants one bad enough will be able to obtain one. I also believe that the serrated version will sell just as fast as the plain edged version will. The demand for the serrated version of this C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run has really surprised me. I thought the demand would be good but it's been far better than I've even imagined.
I have a couple theories on on why the SE is doing well on this sprint.

It is more “period correct.” Back in 2001 SE’s were seen as a an essential part of a Spyderco knife. The market has shifted toward PE’s over full or partial serrations. That being said, if you really are getting this knife for a bit of nostalgia, then the SE is preferred.

Aesthetics. Given certain trademarked design elements of Spyderco, they have a very defined look. This is mostly due to the Spyderhole. For me there are two types of Spyderco knives (from an aesthetic standpoint). There is the traditional Spyderco, has a triangular shape to the blade and it has a sense of balance (think Endura/Delica, Police, Naive, Sage, Shaman, et al). Then there is the “quirky” Spyderco (think Dodo, Poliwog, and Ayoob). I say that with affection. These knives are either loved or hated. When I show my Ayoob to most folks they say “that looks weird…” I think it is cool. Most in this thread think it looks cool. But here is the point. The SE version looks aggressive, almost mean. Which fits the philosophy of use for this knife. The PE looks like a dolphin. Seriously it does if you think about it. In short, the SE version of this knife looks cooler. I know form over function, however appearance is a factor in our choices.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

The PE and SE have almost completely different characters while cutting, from my experience. It's probably due to the SE having a more acute angle from the serrations, but it makes them feel like different models.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:29 pm
The PE and SE have almost completely different characters while cutting, from my experience. It's probably due to the SE having a more acute angle from the serrations, but it makes them feel like different models.
What serrated edges can do well most plain edges fall short. And vice versa. When it comes to cutting rope, cordage and fibrous materials you can't beat a really high quality serrated edge.

When it comes to precision cutting, meat cutting and filleting fish then in most cases a plain edge can't be beat. I've been carrying a main EDC which is usually a plain edge along with a companion folder which is mostly a serrated edge for several years now. Having both edge types handy literally gives you the best of both worlds.

Serrated edged blades and plain edged blade are completely different tools for different cutting jobs. Carrying both of them you are prepared for what ever comes your way. And Spyderco is the undisputed king of serrated edges and their plain edges aren't bad either.
resonanzmacher

Post by resonanzmacher »

The Delica-sized Fang pocket deployment tool (made by Wise Men Company) fits the Ayoob pretty well.
Attachments
IMG_0935.jpg
IMG_0930.jpg
IMG_0928.jpg
Last edited by resonanzmacher on Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
harpo1

Post by harpo1 »

resonanzmacher wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:02 pm
The Delica-sized Fang pocket deployment tool (made by Wise Men Company) fits the Ayoob pretty well.
Why? It deploys several different ways just fine.
--Pete
resonanzmacher

Post by resonanzmacher »

harpo1 wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:08 pm
resonanzmacher wrote:
And now it also waves, which is something I care about. I won't mind if you keep yours stock.
harpo1

Post by harpo1 »

resonanzmacher wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:22 pm
harpo1 wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:08 pm
resonanzmacher wrote:
And now it also waves, which is something I care about. I won't mind if you keep yours stock.
I just thought you had an issue with yours deploying the blade that's why I asked. No need to get all defensive.
--Pete
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

resonanzmacher wrote:
Hey I like that. And I'm not the biggest fan of those Emerson Wave models. But that looks extremely functional and it seems like it would deploy lightning fast. I'm going to check into that. Well it's final now> I'm going to have to blow my next check on two more Sprint Run Ayoob models and I might just start out by doing the SE unit that way just to see how it would work on a daily EDC basis.

I've never heard of "Wise Men Company" but I've got a feeling I'm about to learn a lot about them. Normally I'm not that big on certain gadgets but that really looks efficient and extremely useful.
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

I thought that name sounded familiar: "Wise Men Company" I have a couple of their Splitfix straps.
PStone

Post by PStone »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:52 pm

JD-
I am currently in my 4th day of a 30 day challenge for this model. I am already sold on the practicality of utility and edc use of this model. And I have just ordered a PE version today.

My question for you is: Do you have any experience with the Szabo folder? And if so, how does it compare to this Ayoob model?
benben

Post by benben »

PStone wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:06 pm
JD Spydo wrote:

JD-
I am currently in my 4th day of a 30 day challenge for this model. I am already sold on the practicality of utility and edc use of this model. And I have just ordered a PE version today.

My question for you is: Do you have any experience with the Szabo folder? And if so, how does it compare to this Ayoob model?
If JD doesn't know....vivi has a Szabo, he brought it to my work the day I met him. MY opinion of the Szabo, it'll cut one of these new Massad Ayoob sprints in half and laugh! The day I met vivi I had my original C60 which I had just recently found at a gun show, and my Chinook 3 both with me.

When he handed me his Szabo I literally said....well I'm not going to say what I said here! That knife is a beast, it made my two knives (which aren't small) look like two little toys!

The pics are actually on page 20 of this very thread.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

benben wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:31 pm
PStone wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:

JD-

If JD doesn't know....vivi has a Szabo, he brought it to my work the day I met him. MY opinion of the Szabo, it'll cut one of these new Massad Ayoob sprints in half and laugh! The day I met vivi I had my original C60 which I had just recently found at a gun show, and my Chinook 3 both with me.

When he handed me his Szabo I literally said....well I'm not going to say what I said here! That knife is a beast, it made my two knives (which aren't small) look like two little toys!

Yes I'm aware of the Szabo model that Vivi owns. He offered to let me check it out once quite a while back. But at the time I was so busy I just never got around to getting back with him. But there are a few similarities between the Spyderco Szabo model and the Spyderco C-60 Ayoob. The curve on the blade is very similar and they both have excellent grip handles even though they are both a different design. And they both are tactical designs.

I've been a fan of Laci Szabo's fine work for years now. I met him at a couple of the BLADE Shows in Atlanta. He has some really intriguing designs. I wanted to get one of those Spyderco Szabo models but I was low in finances at the time and in pretty quick order Spyderco discontinued it. I do hope to land one some day because I did indeed like the two of them I've gotten to check out.
PStone

Post by PStone »

benben wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:31 pm
PStone wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:

JD-

Thank you benben! I had no idea the size difference! So happy that you pointed me to those pics on page 20. I def see what you are saying about it being a beast.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

markg wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:11 am
JD Spydo wrote:
benben wrote:
I'm hoping that New Graham will get some more of these and I'm quite sure they will. They have been my "Go -To" dealer for some time now.

I'm sure that everyone that really wants one bad enough will be able to obtain one. I also believe that the serrated version will sell just as fast as the plain edged version will. The demand for the serrated version of this C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run has really surprised me. I thought the demand would be good but it's been far better than I've even imagined.

It is more “period correct.” Back in 2001 SE’s were seen as a an essential part of a Spyderco knife. The market has shifted toward PE’s over full or partial serrations. That being said, if you really are getting this knife for a bit of nostalgia, then the SE is preferred.

Aesthetics. Given certain trademarked design elements of Spyderco, they have a very defined look. This is mostly due to the Spyderhole. For me there are two types of Spyderco knives (from an aesthetic standpoint). There is the traditional Spyderco, has a triangular shape to the blade and it has a sense of balance (think Endura/Delica, Police, Naive, Sage, Shaman, et al). Then there is the “quirky” Spyderco (think Dodo, Poliwog, and Ayoob). I say that with affection. These knives are either loved or hated. When I show my Ayoob to most folks they say “that looks weird…” I think it is cool. Most in this thread think it looks cool. But here is the point. The SE version looks aggressive, almost mean. Which fits the philosophy of use for this knife. The PE looks like a dolphin. Seriously it does if you think about it. In short, the SE version of this knife looks cooler. I know form over function, however appearance is a factor in our choices.
Similar to the Police, the SE Ayoob looks “right”. I went with PE but already wish I had grabbed the SE
benben

Post by benben »

twinboysdad wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:46 pm
markg wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:11 am
JD Spydo wrote:
benben wrote:

Similar to the Police, the SE Ayoob looks “right”. I went with PE but already wish I had grabbed the SE
Honestly, the video with Joyce from Spyderco, and her serrated Ayoob is what first opened my eyes to just how BA the SE Ayoob looks! She’s a heck of a sales lady!