C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
James Y

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by James Y »

resonanzmacher wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:52 pm
James Y wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:48 pm

I would like to see it in the main lineup, too. Don't know if that's ever gonna happen, but a Salt version would be cool. It COULD NOT be H1/H2, because IIRC, I think Sal said that, unlike G. Sakai, Moki doesn't have access to that steel. Maybe they could use LC200N or better yet, Magnacut.

Jim
As much as I like the idea of a Salt Ayoob - and I love it - it sounds like the Cruwear run was a hard stretch for the 2022 version of Moki. And after having one in my hands, I can see why it might be a tall order for Moki to set aside their steel on steel expertise and special sauce and so on, to make the jump to Salt builds with all the pinned FRN construction and minimal steel. Apples and oranges. So my guess is it’s a lot more likely we’d see a steel and scale variant of the Cruwear Ayoob hit the market before they’d turn out Salts.

Besides it sounds like the Glessers already have plans as to what comes next for their collaboration with Moki over the next few years. I’m more interested in seeing them continue work in their wheelhouse and rebuild their organizational competencies. The whole ‘then the rains came’ story made me care.

Oh yeah, I totally agree that the most important thing is to see Moki rebuild themselves, hopefully back into the cutlery powerhouse they once were. I'm not saying they have to come out with a Salt version, or anything other than what is already being planned between Spyderco and Moki.

Anyway, my opinion on this matter means little to nothing, as I'm skipping this sprint, partially through financial necessity, and partly because I prefer stainless over tool steels (but mostly the former). So take any of my comments on the C-60 with a grain of salt.

Jim
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

mb1 wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:59 am
SpyderGrill wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:20 pm
I got my plain edge yesterday. The action is a little tight and gritty feeling like a sharp burr is dragging on the liner. No Blade play and I have not adjusted the pivot screw that looks a little chewed up, but the torx bit seems to fit. I have not added oil yet as someone here said to open it 500 times to polish the liners and oil would hamper that? Seems odd to me but,,,,

I did move the clip to tip up (which I might move back) and checked the body screws for tightness. They seemed loose so I tightened them up. After that I couldnt open the knife so I loosened them back up.

Id like to take it apart and give it a good clean but someone above was saying how hard it was to get back together. I wish they would have posted pictures of the inside because looking at the liners from the outside it looks interesting how the liners are milled without the washers.

The edge grind looks even on both sides and its pretty sharp

So my questions are, should I oil it? Or wait till I open it 500 times? Ive already did it about 150 times. Did the pivot screw have locktite? I dont want to strip that screw any more than it is.

I put one small drop of mineral oil on my pivot where the lockbar engages. You’ll see black residue you can wipe away as you cycle thru it. Made mine smooth as glass.

Thank You! I put a small drop of mineral oil on the round part of blade where the lock bar rides and its butter smooth now. I normally wait to oil a new knife for a couple days but what threw me off was someone above said not to. Ive never had a Spyderco without washers so thats what threw me.

I will get **** for saying this but I can Spydie flick it now, and it drops on finger when pressing the lock release.

Pretty sure Im buying the SE version now. Dont tell my wife!
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

p_atrick wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:33 am
SpyderGrill wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:20 pm
Id like to take it apart and give it a good clean but someone above was saying how hard it was to get back together. I wish they would have posted pictures of the inside because looking at the liners from the outside it looks interesting how the liners are milled without the washers.
I mentioned the difficulty in taking the knife apart (perhaps there are others, this is a long thread). I didn't even think to take pictures; sorry about that. I don't really recall anything about the liners that really stuck out at me in terms of milling. They weren't like the Seki liners as there were "dark" ares on them. I'm not saying rust or patina; it's just that i expected them to have a uniform appearance.

Look, maybe I'm all thumbs and the knife isn't as bad as I make it out. Maybe the issues I found are unique to the one I have. Maybe my experience is but one data point and you should conduct your own experiment to add to the data set. Who am I to tell you what to do with your knife?

In my particular situation, I was manually actuating the knife to speed up the break-in. I held the handle in one hand and the blade in another, and would rotate the blade quickly. I soon felt and heard something rough in the action. It was on the tang that this was happening. I wondered if there was a burr or something on the lockbar. Looking back, I should have tried a drop of oil first. But I was curious what a backlock with a steel back spacer would be like. I've only ever had Seki LW backlocks and those are annoying to put back together. I figured the Ayoob would be so much easier (especially compared to the P4 LW and that little post — if you know, you know).
Put a flashlight on the liners threw the opening. Around the pivot theres a raised circle where the blade rides. Also in the middle of handle its raised up, cant really describe it, take a look.

Wasnt saying you cant take apart and put back together, I was just wondering if it was harder than putting an endura or pacific salt back together. I had a little problem with my salt but after someone posted to put the blade in last it wasnt to bad.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

markg wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:01 pm
Got my PE today. Looks great. Feels like an old friend. I really wanted the SE. Welp just nabbed one. Now gotta sell a kidney or something. This is an old school design needs to be a SE.
Yeah I do remember you being one of the guys who loved this great iconic model from the get-go ( early 2000s). I even remember you chiming in on a couple of C-60 threads eons ago.

Well Brother I guess we'll both be picking up pop cans, copper wire and scrap aluminum till we land another pair of these bad boys.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:26 pm
resonanzmacher wrote:
James Y wrote:

I would like to see it in the main lineup, too. Don't know if that's ever gonna happen, but a Salt version would be cool. It COULD NOT be H1/H2, because IIRC, I think Sal said that, unlike G. Sakai, Moki doesn't have access to that steel. Maybe they could use LC200N or better yet, Magnacut.

Jim
As much as I like the idea of a Salt Ayoob - and I love it - it sounds like the Cruwear run was a hard stretch for the 2022 version of Moki. And after having one in my hands, I can see why it might be a tall order for Moki to set aside their steel on steel expertise and special sauce and so on, to make the jump to Salt builds with all the pinned FRN construction and minimal steel. Apples and oranges. So my guess is it’s a lot more likely we’d see a steel and scale variant of the Cruwear Ayoob hit the market before they’d turn out Salts.

Besides it sounds like the Glessers already have plans as to what comes next for their collaboration with Moki over the next few years. I’m more interested in seeing them continue work in their wheelhouse and rebuild their organizational competencies. The whole ‘then the rains came’ story made me care.

Oh yeah, I totally agree that the most important thing is to see Moki rebuild themselves, hopefully back into the cutlery powerhouse they once were. I'm not saying they have to come out with a Salt version, or anything other than what is already being planned between Spyderco and Moki.

Anyway, my opinion on this matter means little to nothing, as I'm skipping this sprint, partially through financial necessity, and partly because I prefer stainless over tool steels (but mostly the former). So take any of my comments on the C-60 with a grain of salt.

Jim
JIM!!!??? What are you saying!!????? You are actually going to pass up on possibly the best Sprint Run we've had since the first non S30V Dodo model?????? Jim are you feeling OK???

Buddy you've at least got to snag one of the SE units!! Dude!!! Go To a Doctor Immediately >> you're not yourself today!!

Go watch a TWILIGHT ZONE Marathon and get your head right dude!!! :ninja :beaming-face
Retlawman590

Post by Retlawman590 »

I finally have a PE Massad from White Mountain Knives on the way! They sold out in a day. This knife is a BIG hit for Spyderco!
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

This model in FRN handle would be epic. I will always prefer nested Delica liners but would be fine with none as well
James Y

Post by James Y »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:48 pm
James Y wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:26 pm
resonanzmacher wrote:
James Y wrote:

Jim

Jim
JIM!!!??? What are you saying!!????? You are actually going to pass up on possibly the best Sprint Run we've had since the first non S30V Dodo model?????? Jim are you feeling OK???

Buddy you've at least got to snag one of the SE units!! Dude!!! Go To a Doctor Immediately >> you're not yourself today!!

Go watch a TWILIGHT ZONE Marathon and get your head right dude!!! :ninja :beaming-face

Whoa there, Joe! Relax! Take a deep breath in; gently hold it; now slowly breathe out……😉

I am quite cool with missing this sprint. Different priorities right now, and for a good while yet. I’m enjoying reading others’ comments, and am looking forward to hearing about others’ experiences with this model in use. But to be perfectly honest, NOT feeling the need to acquire this model is very freeing. I haven’t bought a knife in some time now anyway, and it feels good. Even though I sometimes say I’d like to see this model or have that model, in reality, my “need,” or rather motivation to acquire more knives, no matter how good the designs may be, had already slowed to a trickle for awhile now. I’m not really a sprint kind of guy, anyway.

Jim
markg

Post by markg »

Having played with this knife for a day I had a thought.

You know what would have been a cool variant of this knife?

A “murdered out” SE Ayoob

Black G-10, all black hardware, black SE.

Now that would be a knife.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Retlawman590 wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:46 am
I finally have a PE Massad from White Mountain Knives on the way! They sold out in a day. This knife is a BIG hit for Spyderco!
I keep hear this over and over. I'll be surprised if there are any of the Ayoob Sprint Run left by Halloween.
Michal O

Post by Michal O »

markg wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:59 am
Having played with this knife for a day I had a thought.

You know what would have been a cool variant of this knife?

A “murdered out” SE Ayoob

Black G-10, all black hardware, black SE.

Now that would be a knife.
Black SS version.
Current collection: Lil Temperance G10, Shaman, Lil Native, Massad Ayoob cruwear, Smock, Street Beat, Street Bowie, Para 3, PM2 purple G10 cruwear, Canis, Rhino, Endura 4 K390, Watu, Kapara, Amalgam, Sliverax, Police 4 se K390, Police 4 pe K390, Khukuri, Barong, Ulize.
Tom Horn

Post by Tom Horn »

Big thanks to J D Spydo for not shutting up.
hands down my favorite Spyderco. Great tac design, excellent quality that keeps us coming back to Spyderco.

Kudos to all who were involved in this campaign.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

New Graham:
PlainEdge... https://newgraham.com/Massad-Ayoob-Gray-PE-SC60GPGY/

SpyderEdge... https://newgraham.com/Massad-Ayoob-Gray-SE-SC60GSGY/

And

Northwest Knives:
SpyderEdge... https://northwestknives.com/collections ... de-c60gsgy

KnifeWorld:
PlainEdge... https://knifeworldwv.com/product/c60gpg ... print-run/

SpyderEdge... https://knifeworldwv.com/product/c60gsg ... print-run/

KnifeHub:
SpyderEdge... https://www.knifehub.com/product-page/s ... ed-c60gsgy

Also at
Sooner State Knives (Not on the Dealer Locator List?):
Both are towards the bottom of this page... http://www.soonerstateknives.com/newitems.html
Last edited by Buddafucco on Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
•• Beau
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

I took it apart. Because I'm curious like that. Here are some pics.
Cover off:
AyoobInside (1).jpg
AyoobInside (2).jpg
Liner off:
AyoobInside (3).jpg
AyoobInside (5).jpg
My favorite part, the sweet machining on the liners:
AyoobInside (4).jpg
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Thanks for the pics. I never noticed the raised part on the liners when I had kine apart.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Tom Horn wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:21 pm
Big thanks to J D Spydo for not shutting up.
hands down my favorite Spyderco. Great tac design, excellent quality that keeps us coming back to Spyderco.

Kudos to all who were involved in this campaign.
You're quite welcome!! Have you gotten the new Sprint Run yet or are you speaking of owning one of the previous models? I hope you did get at least one of the new Sprint Run.

There are so many Spyderco fans like yourself that are out there on the periphery that you don't hear from very often but they have loved this model for years now. Just the improvement in the grip factor on this newest Sprint Run is like a day & night difference on the plus side.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

troutinCO wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:29 pm
I took it apart.
thanks for the pics! i need to take mine down to frog lube the blade. i've been letting it go to see how it reacts with the environment and my oils. it definitely reacts differently than other steels i have, but i can't tell if that a difference due to the steel composition or the fact that this has a more mirrored finish.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

So it does have washers, they're just integral :winking-tongue
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

p_atrick wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:37 pm
Thanks for the pics. I never noticed the raised part on the liners when I had kine apart.
That machining of the liners is a revelation to me. Washers that aren’t washers?
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:02 pm
So it does have washers, they're just integral :winking-tongue
You beat me to it.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”