C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
resonanzmacher

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by resonanzmacher »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:15 pm
I would like to take this most interesting thread down another road>> or at least side street if you will. I would like all you guys and gals who have recently gotten this magnificent new Sprint Run C-60 Ayoob/Cruwear model to help me out here. I want all you new C-60 Ayoob owners to give us all a numerical rating. You can do it on a 1 to 100 scale.
So I'm one of those guys who wouldn't rate any folder at 100/100. 100/100 is like the edge, it's a ghost.

I'm also someone who thinks that initial impressions are less important than what the knife is like once you've had it in your pocket for a few months of use. But by then all these will be sold! So for the sake of people considering the purchase, I'd say 96 for the Cru Ayoob. For reference I give my Sebenza a 93.

I positively love the dimensions and most of the ergonomics -- I find it slightly harder to spydieflick than, say, a Yojimbo or a PM2, feels like I'm craning my wrist around a little more than normal to make that happen. I'd also prefer a slightly larger spyderhole. I adore the way they made a rock solid locking knife as svelte in the handle as they did here. The whole package fits in my pocket very well despite the length. I think the back lock is as good as I've seen one executed, and although no back lock is ever as fidgety and light as something like a compression lock I really like this one. And they should do every single set of G-10 scales they do with this kind of bevel flowing smoothly into the frame.

Cutting wise it's clearly optimized for heavy cuts. I've gotten Spydercos that had a finer honed edge OOTB than either of my PE Ayoobs but that's not really something that'd move the needle scorewise. It COULD be a little thinner behind the edge -- the Ayoob is a lot more 'cutty' than 'slicey' in my book, but with the belly as deep as this one is, a little thickness behind the edge is probably warranted for structural integrity. I also have two SE Ayoobs now, and the last one I got had no issue with the serration, but the first one I got did have a bit of a snaggletooth thing going on up near the tip. Very minor issue, but for an exercise like this I'll call it out -- it stand in stark contrast to the otherwise excellent manufacture of the knife.

It's astonishingly smooth for a setup with no bushing at all, no washers, no bearings, no doohickeys, just steel on steel. Would it be smoother if it were a compression lock? Yes, but it'd also be thicker, and with this setup you get a kinda godlike, Rock of Gibraltar lockup, without a hint of flex or blade play.

Finally there's the self defense aspect of the knife. I usually prefer Wave openers in that regard but I'd be 100% comfortable with this in my pocket as it's clearly optimized for self defense between the wicked blade, the downward canted angle and the grippy handle. I know exactly how much I could get done with it in a very short period of time, should the need arise.

All and all I'm content with the 96. It might get a little better with extended break in and as my hand gets a little more used to the novelty of the handle shape and spyderhole placement.
resonanzmacher

Post by resonanzmacher »

You know, this thing's good enough to need a nickname, but the best I can come up with is either Cru-yoob or just plain Croob and neither of them really nail it for me.
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

toxophilus wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:58 am
On my plain edge the bevels are pretty even, came in about 27°dps...
Seriously? That's a deal killer for me. It was bad enough reprofiling the 45° inclusive bevels on my Strider folders; I'm not going to waste my time with 54°.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

dsvirsky wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:06 pm
toxophilus wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:58 am
On my plain edge the bevels are pretty even, came in about 27°dps...
Seriously? That's a deal killer for me. It was bad enough reprofiling the 45° inclusive bevels on my Strider folders; I'm not going to waste my time with 54°.
Yeah, this is a thick boy. I don't have tools to measure my PE Ayoob. Guess I have my "hard use" folder. I still like it. So smooth; you'd never know it doesn't have washers.
Squidlauncher

Post by Squidlauncher »

resonanzmacher wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:21 pm
You know, this thing's good enough to need a nickname, but the best I can come up with is either Cru-yoob or just plain Croob and neither of them really nail it for me.
The Aycrüb...or....
The Cruyoob

Both awful suggestions I know, but whatever.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

resonanzmacher wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:07 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:15 pm
I would like to take this most interesting thread down another road>> or at least side street if you will. I would like all you guys and gals who have recently gotten this magnificent new Sprint Run C-60 Ayoob/Cruwear model to help me out here. I want all you new C-60 Ayoob owners to give us all a numerical rating. You can do it on a 1 to 100 scale.
So I'm one of those guys who wouldn't rate any folder at 100/100. 100/100 is like the edge, it's a ghost.

I'm also someone who thinks that initial impressions are less important than what the knife is like once you've had it in your pocket for a few months of use. But by then all these will be sold! So for the sake of people considering the purchase, I'd say 96 for the Cru Ayoob. For reference I give my Sebenza a 93.

I positively love the dimensions and most of the ergonomics -- I find it slightly harder to spydieflick than, say, a Yojimbo or a PM2, feels like I'm craning my wrist around a little more than normal to make that happen. I'd also prefer a slightly larger spyderhole. I adore the way they made a rock solid locking knife as svelte in the handle as they did here. The whole package fits in my pocket very well despite the length. I think the back lock is as good as I've seen one executed, and although no back lock is ever as fidgety and light as something like a compression lock I really like this one. And they should do every single set of G-10 scales they do with this kind of bevel flowing smoothly into the frame.

Cutting wise it's clearly optimized for heavy cuts. I've gotten Spydercos that had a finer honed edge OOTB than either of my PE Ayoobs but that's not really something that'd move the needle scorewise. It COULD be a little thinner behind the edge -- the Ayoob is a lot more 'cutty' than 'slicey' in my book, but with the belly as deep as this one is, a little thickness behind the edge is probably warranted for structural integrity. I also have two SE Ayoobs now, and the last one I got had no issue with the serration, but the first one I got did have a bit of a snaggletooth thing going on up near the tip. Very minor issue, but for an exercise like this I'll call it out -- it stand in stark contrast to the otherwise excellent manufacture of the knife.

It's astonishingly smooth for a setup with no bushing at all, no washers, no bearings, no doohickeys, just steel on steel. Would it be smoother if it were a compression lock? Yes, but it'd also be thicker, and with this setup you get a kinda godlike, Rock of Gibraltar lockup, without a hint of flex or blade play.

Finally there's the self defense aspect of the knife. I usually prefer Wave openers in that regard but I'd be 100% comfortable with this in my pocket as it's clearly optimized for self defense between the wicked blade, the downward canted angle and the grippy handle. I know exactly how much I could get done with it in a very short period of time, should the need arise.

All and all I'm content with the 96. It might get a little better with extended break in and as my hand gets a little more used to the novelty of the handle shape and spyderhole placement.
I like the concept of "CRYOOB" >> replace the A in Ayoob with a CR representing Cruwear. I like CRYOOB>>> Kind of like how they used to call that one factory misprint an EnduraHawk>> well sort of along those lines anyway.

Yeah I think CRYOOB is sort of catchy. Let's see what the rest of the gang thinks?
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

ayoob is a name. it's a man's name. a man that has a family who's history is tied to that name. we should probably show it a little more respect than we have to words like cruwear or micarta in the past.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Buddafucco wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:03 pm
Northwest Knives... SpyderEdge... https://northwestknives.com/collections ... de-c60gsgy
Hey Dude I can't tell you how much I personally appreciate you helping the guys/gals here at Spyderville with information on how they land this new Cruwear C-60 Ayoob model. I think you've done all of us a great service and I think I'm speaking for several folks here when I give you a sincere THANK YOU
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:54 pm
ayoob is a name. it's a man's name. a man that has a family who's history is tied to that name. we should probably show it a little more respect than we have to words like cruwear or micarta in the past.
That's an excellent point you bring up. Because Massad Ayoob is a very respectable man as well as an authority on personal self defense. I'm going to ponder on that and I might even attempt to contact Mr. Ayoob to see if he was to be offended by a slogan type name like that.

Actually I kind of meant it to be a slogan more or less or a verbal logo >> if there is such a thing. I can personally assure you that I don't mean anything offensive by it at all. But you do bring up a good point to consider and I will think it over for sure.

Thank you for the bringing up that point. Because we don't want to offend anyone for any reason. Actually I've kind of idolized the guy and that knife has been one of my all time favorites for a few years now. So I can assure you I don't mean anything disrespectful by it at all.
resonanzmacher

Post by resonanzmacher »

ladybug93 wrote:
So this probably is not the right place to note that AYOOB spelled backwards is BOOYA?
resonanzmacher

Post by resonanzmacher »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:04 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
Thank you for the bringing up that point. Because we don't want to offend anyone for any reason. Actually I've kind of idolized the guy and that knife has been one of my all time favorites for a few years now. So I can assure you I don't mean anything disrespectful by it at all.
I must admit that the prospect of unintentional disrespect hadn’t crossed my mind either. Shiny footprints, right?

There’s always Cru-60.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

resonanzmacher wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:20 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
ladybug93 wrote:
I must admit that the prospect of unintentional disrespect hadn’t crossed my mind either. Shiny footprints, right?

There’s always Cru-60.
Yeah that's pretty catchy too. Or just call it the Cruwear Ayoob>> there sure isn't anything disrespectful about that name.

But Ladybug is right because there are some people that are very sensitive concerning their Surname especially. And I truly hope Mr Ayoob is honored that his brilliant knife design has regained a lot of recognition again. Actually I hope it makes it back to the main line up or the Salt Series at some point.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i'm not trying to speak for him and say it's offensive. i'm just suggesting a persons name commands more respect than it's being given in this case. cruwear and micarta, by contrast, are just names of products.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

resonanzmacher wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:07 pm
Your mention of the Ayoob’s SD potential prompts me to quote what Sal said on the subject 20 years ago, which I discovered just today.

On 17 September 2001, he replied to Sirius (viewtopic.php?t=2288):

“Knives "Specifically designed for MBC" is a more complicated question than might appear.

“First of all, we created the "in house" MBC lock strength standard just recently, so not all knives were designed and built for MBC lock strength.

“The first knives built to this standard were the Chinook and the Gunting. Both have locks that exceed the 200 inch/lbs per inch of blade length. One is a lockback and the other a compression lock. As mentioned, the new Lil" Temperance has an MBC lock strength rating. The Ayoob…was designed long before and falls into the "Heavy Duty" category of 100 inch/lbs of lock strength per inch of blade, as does the Wegner and Military (and many of Spydercos models).

“One might say that the Civilian was designed for MBC (though, many years ago). It too rates "heavy duty".

“One could also say that the Endura and Delica "Trainers" were also specifically designed for MBC, though their lock strengths are not in the MBC rating.

“Please keep in mind that these are Spyderco's own ratings that we use for our own production.

“For your own info, we have tested many "fighting" knives made by competitors with lock strengths that fall into our medium and light duty useage. Some of the "so called" hard use, tougher than tough, etc. knives don't even make our heavy duty rating. IMO, don't believe all of the advertising you read.”

So, while the Ayoob is not MBC-rated, like many Spydies, not least Sal’s Police and Hennicke’s Ulize, it’s certainly defense-capable, especially as the grind of its uniquely angled blade is now a saber.

But, for me, the Ayoob is one of three Spyderco models designed for or by police. Mas was a cop, part-time at least, here in New Hampshire for 45 years, in addition to providing the public with mostly defensive-firearms-training.

I think the Police, Ayoob, and Ulize are first and foremost meant to poke in dark places and part the offensive matter found therein, less for defense. LEOs after all, have more effective SD tools with firearms and now tasers.

Now, what with this Ayoob’s increased BTE, I need to see if it slices in the kitchen as well as my earlier hollow-grind VG10 sprint.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Jurmuscle

Post by Jurmuscle »

resonanzmacher wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:21 pm
Crussad?
:usflag :bug-red :bug-white-red :usflag
If we spent as much time trying as we do doubting, we might have already accomplished it.

-Tom
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Crussad is pretty cool, I like it.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
James Y

Post by James Y »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:27 pm
resonanzmacher wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:20 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
ladybug93 wrote:

There’s always Cru-60.
Yeah that's pretty catchy too. Or just call it the Cruwear Ayoob>> there sure isn't anything disrespectful about that name.

But Ladybug is right because there are some people that are very sensitive concerning their Surname especially. And I truly hope Mr Ayoob is honored that his brilliant knife design has regained a lot of recognition again. Actually I hope it makes it back to the main line up or the Salt Series at some point.

I would like to see it in the main lineup, too. Don't know if that's ever gonna happen, but a Salt version would be cool. It COULD NOT be H1/H2, because IIRC, I think Sal said that, unlike G. Sakai, Moki doesn't have access to that steel. Maybe they could use LC200N or better yet, Magnacut.

Jim
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

That info on the testing/rating of lock strength is really interesting. I'd love to know how the the Manix stacks up. I can't imagine it's weaker than any of them. Put a wharnie blade on a Manix and you'd have a pretty good MBC by my estimation. Sorry to derail the conversation.
resonanzmacher

Post by resonanzmacher »

James Y wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:48 pm

I would like to see it in the main lineup, too. Don't know if that's ever gonna happen, but a Salt version would be cool. It COULD NOT be H1/H2, because IIRC, I think Sal said that, unlike G. Sakai, Moki doesn't have access to that steel. Maybe they could use LC200N or better yet, Magnacut.

Jim
As much as I like the idea of a Salt Ayoob - and I love it - it sounds like the Cruwear run was a hard stretch for the 2022 version of Moki. And after having one in my hands, I can see why it might be a tall order for Moki to set aside their steel on steel expertise and special sauce and so on, to make the jump to Salt builds with all the pinned FRN construction and minimal steel. Apples and oranges. So my guess is it’s a lot more likely we’d see a steel and scale variant of the Cruwear Ayoob hit the market before they’d turn out Salts.

Besides it sounds like the Glessers already have plans as to what comes next for their collaboration with Moki over the next few years. I’m more interested in seeing them continue work in their wheelhouse and rebuild their organizational competencies. The whole ‘then the rains came’ story made me care.
markg

Post by markg »

Got my PE today. Looks great. Feels like an old friend. I really wanted the SE. Welp just nabbed one. Now gotta sell a kidney or something. This is an old school design needs to be a SE.