Re: Reverse S Manbug aka Dodo-bug aka Cricket-bug

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

The Wharnie is seeing a great surge in popularity, and with good reason. It has become my preferred EDC and keychain blade shape over these past few months. However, I feel the Reverse S blade shape is due for a similar resurgence in popularity if we can just get it into some of the more popular models. You all know about my quest for a Dodo-fly and a Cricket-fly, but I would like to expand that now to request a Reverse S keychain knife. I am thinking something along the lines of a Dodo or Cricket blade shape modified proportionally to fit into the Manbug handle. A Dodo-bug or Cricket-bug if you will. I think spine jimping like the Jester's near the tip would be great on this as well. Discuss.

So who else would like to see a Reverse S keychain knife??
Last edited by steelcity16 on Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
ZrowsN1s

Re: Reverse S Keychain Knives

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I wouldn't say no.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

The great thing about this concept, the recent flood of wharnies, and the Dodo-fly/Cricket-fly concepts, is that they don't require the major investment of new FRN molds. Just throw a new blade shape into an existing handle. Not much downside if they don't prove to be as popular as hoped.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

As a noob both to this forum and to keychain knives, I'm curious what you use yours for. I bought a Ladybug a few months ago, and haven't used it even once. I find myself using whichever larger knife is nearby, and there's always a larger knife nearby.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Coastal wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:51 pm
As a noob both to this forum and to keychain knives, I'm curious what you use yours for. I bought a Ladybug a few months ago, and haven't used it even once. I find myself using whichever larger knife is nearby, and there's always a larger knife nearby.

The rare occasion I forget to clip a knife in my pocket, the keychain knives get some use. Or my wife uses them because she doesn't carry any other knives. It is certainly a backup to most of us on the forum I would guess!
Last edited by steelcity16 on Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I do however think that if Spyderco released a Reverse S Manbug knife I would probably start carrying one in my coin pocket in addition to a full sized blade. The Reverse S makes a great package opener.

On that note, a Dodo or Cricket blade shape in a Manbug or Dragonfly handle, would make for a very sheeple-friendly knife in my opinion. I think you could get away with openly using these knives in an office environment without too much gruff, whereas a standard or wharnie Dragonfly or even Manbug might get some strange looks from some of the office Karens for being too "stabby" or "pointy".
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Coastal wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:51 pm
Put it on your keys and it will probably end up getting some use since its always right there.
I used mine the other day for a package. I was in my truck seat and my right front pocket was more difficult to get to than my keys that were right in front of me.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
ladybug93

Re: Re: Reverse S Manbug aka Dodo-bug aka Cricket-bug

Post by ladybug93 »

if there was a reverse s ladybug with jester jimping, it might replace my ladyhawk, especially if it was a salt with spyderedge. i'm definitely in for that.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:12 pm
if there was a reverse s ladybug with jester jimping, it might replace my ladyhawk, especially if it was a salt with spyderedge. i'm definitely in for that.

This is definitely what I had in mind! H1 SE.
MournfulCongregant

Post by MournfulCongregant »

Yes! Yes amazing idea.
Favorite Spydercos: Police 4 K390 LW, Sage 5 M4 LW, K390 wharncliffe D-fly, Cricket, Crucarta PM2, M4 Micarta Shaman, Dodo.