The Vivi Conundrum.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: The Vivi Conundrum.

Post by Wartstein »

Said it in another thread: Since VG10 does not rust on me, even really humid outdoor use or carried iwb when running for hours I kind of HAVE a Stretch XL SE Salt already... ;)

That said: If we're talking about the Para 4 / Millie 2: No second thought, just because for me a comp.lock can't match a backlock in outdoor use, or, as Lance / Surfgringo pointed out in another thread: Marine use (which I know almost nothing about).

Millie 1 with its great and perfect outdoor linerlock would make me think for a second. But not longer.
Stretch 2XL SE would still be my choice:

- Lighter, shorter and slimmer in pocket
- About the same blade length, but shorter closed package while presumably still offering a bit more actual grip area
- Thinner blade stock
- I prefer the long, straight edge section over the continous edge curve of the Millie
- Tip up option
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I would go the C-36 Military>> but only if they offered it in PE & SE both. The Millie in SE is a beast!!

And I would also like to see a Salt Version of the C-60 Ayoob model as well.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:37 am
That said: If we're talking about the Para 4 / Millie 2:
🙄
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:55 am
Wartstein wrote:
🙄

... says the guy who keeps on calling the Manix 2 "Mini Manix" :)
(No offense, my friend, I fully get why you call it like that and I should refrain from speaking my mind like this about the "Millie" 2 cause things can get heated pretty fast concerning that topic).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:56 am
...the "Millie" 2 cause things can get heated pretty fast concerning that topic
The knife who must not be named.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:56 am
vivi wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:55 am
Wartstein wrote:
🙄

... says the guy who keeps on calling the Manix 2 "Mini Manix" :)
(No offense, my friend, I fully get why you call it like that and I should refrain from speaking my mind like this about the "Millie" 2 cause things can get heated pretty fast concerning that topic).
That's mostly tongue in cheek, but if you search "spyderco manix" this is the first result. That's the naming scheme that was originally used for the series.

The Military 2 is named the Military 2 and has never been named anything else. Quite different.
:unicorn
Netherend

Post by Netherend »

Pm2 with LC200N made like the Caribbean would be a great EDC. We already know the comp lock works with that steel and it’s a great edc steel.
Just one more knife...
RevMike

Post by RevMike »

Stretch 2 XL for sure. I'd like it equally well in LC200N or H2 but what I'd really like to see is a part serrated version to go along with the PE and SE varieties.

I love my Part Serrated Autonomy 2 but many places I go don't allow Autos and there just aren't any other PS Salt knives out there.

I already have the PS Stretch 2 XL and think that would probably be the easiest to add to the lineup.
404 :bug-red-white s in 81 steel flavors.
tangent

Post by tangent »

The Stretch 2 XL is linerless and this gives me great hope that Spyderco is moving in the direction of making more FRN knives that are linerless (not just the salts). I've said it many times: if you are using a knife to do tasks that are appropriate for a folder, the liners really offer no advantage that I can see. If you need a more robust knife, I'd recommend a fixed blade. Some say they like the 'heft' of the linered knives, but it seems many more prefer the lighter weight of the linerless FRN.

Sal and Eric: Please give us a Magnacut Pac Salt!! This would be the ultimate knife for me (and I suspect a few others).
MournfulCongregant

Post by MournfulCongregant »

Lil Matriarch/Matriarch 2!
Favorite Spydercos: Police 4 K390 LW, Sage 5 M4 LW, K390 wharncliffe D-fly, Cricket, Crucarta PM2, M4 Micarta Shaman, Dodo.
James Y

Post by James Y »

tangent wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:30 pm
The Stretch 2 XL is linerless and this gives me great hope that Spyderco is moving in the direction of making more FRN knives that are linerless (not just the salts). I've said it many times: if you are using a knife to do tasks that are appropriate for a folder, the liners really offer no advantage that I can see. If you need a more robust knife, I'd recommend a fixed blade. Some say they like the 'heft' of the linered knives, but it seems many more prefer the lighter weight of the linerless FRN.

Sal and Eric: Please give us a Magnacut Pac Salt!! This would be the ultimate knife for me (and I suspect a few others).

For me personally, the advantage of linerless knives has far more to do with having no steel liners that can trap moisture and gunk and allow hidden corrosion to form, than the little reduction in weight.

Jim
tangent

Post by tangent »

James Y wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:41 pm
tangent wrote:

For me personally, the advantage of linerless knives has far more to do with having no steel liners that can trap moisture and gunk and allow hidden corrosion to form, than the little reduction in weight.

Jim
Oh yes, I completely agree. I didn’t mention it, but the simplicity of the knife is a huge plus. No liners to trap moisture, no washers, etc. Super simple and plenty robust enough. If anyone doubts the robustness of the Pacific Salt, watch some of Lance Clinton’s fishing videos where he uses the knife… very convincing.

I totally agree… just mentioned weight since a lot of ‘pro liner’ people often talk about the ‘heft’ of the knife. :cheap-sunglasses
James Y

Post by James Y »

tangent wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:22 am
James Y wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:41 pm
tangent wrote:

Jim
Oh yes, I completely agree. I didn’t mention it, but the simplicity of the knife is a huge plus. No liners to trap moisture, no washers, etc. Super simple and plenty robust enough. If anyone doubts the robustness of the Pacific Salt, watch some of Lance Clinton’s fishing videos where he uses the knife… very convincing.

I totally agree… just mentioned weight since a lot of ‘pro liner’ people often talk about the ‘heft’ of the knife. :cheap-sunglasses

Agreed. The linerless knives are a lot tougher and more capable than they may look or feel. Some people compare them to toys, but toys they are most definitely not.

🙂

Jim
asdfghjkl

Post by asdfghjkl »

Here is my magnacut Pacific Salt request.
1. The simpliest option is just to add a magnacut version to mix and keep everything else the same. Maybe the bright orange handle to make it different than the H1 and LC200N. But whatever color is fine.
2. My ideal knife would be this. I would want it to be built like the Siren with liner-less G10 handles with very aggressive texturing and extra jimping on the G10 near the blade(there is an older endura that had G10 scales so it's not too crazy) I would keep the standard titanium belt clip because the Siren's wireclip can become loose over time. Add then obviously add the magnacut full flat blade with the Pacific Salts tip shape. Color-wise i wouldn't mind the green or yellow but having something like the Siren's two tone would also be cool. Maybe black/yellow or black/green.
tangent

Post by tangent »

asdfghjkl wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:27 am
1. The simpliest option is just to add a magnacut version to mix and keep everything else the same. Maybe the bright orange handle to make it different than the H1 and LC200N. But whatever color is fine.
2. My ideal knife would be this. I would want it to be built like the Siren with liner-less G10 handles with very aggressive texturing and extra jimping on the G10 near the blade(there is an older endura that had G10 scales so it's not too crazy) I would keep the standard titanium belt clip because the Siren's wireclip can become loose over time. Add then obviously add the magnacut full flat blade with the Pacific Salts tip shape. Color-wise i wouldn't mind the green or yellow but having something like the Siren's two tone would also be cool. Maybe black/yellow or black/green.
Pac Salt in bright orange with Magnacut would be freaking awesome... :cheap-sunglasses
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

tangent wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:44 pm
asdfghjkl wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:27 am
Pac Salt in bright orange with Magnacut would be freaking awesome... :cheap-sunglasses
I would buy PE and SE in this for sure!

EDIT: My wife has an H1 Spyderhawk with an orange handle and you can see that color from space. I'm so down with a MagnaCut Pac Salt with those scales.