K390 and DLC coating

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Big_Tex

K390 and DLC coating

Post by Big_Tex »

Absolutely love k390… curious why we haven’t seen any of the k390 blades with a dlc coating (if there is I can’t think of any off the top of my head)

Why don’t we see more k390 with a coating to help with corrosion? I know it’s tends to patina more than rust, like M4… anyways… just curious if anyone had any thoughts!

Also… still wishing for a k390 Manix 2 or Shaman!
Bryan
Atlanta, GA
IG @BryanCBailey

Current pocket rotation:
Z-Wear/Micarta Shaman
Magnacut Native 5 LW
k390 Endela

:bug-red : 73 Spydies in the collection
yablanowitz

Re: K390 and DLC coating

Post by yablanowitz »

According to what Sal has posted, he has seen instances where corrosion has started under the DLC, so it really doesn't prevent corrosion, just makes it harder to get to it to treat it.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I think this was my first double tap. Oops.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

yablanowitz wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:32 pm
According to what Sal has posted, he has seen instances where corrosion has started under the DLC, so it really doesn't prevent corrosion, just makes it harder to get to it to treat it.

I mean they DLC coat 52100 and M4, which are WAAAAAAAY more rust prone than K390. Maybe the TiCN of Seki isn't as good at preventing rust as Golden's DLC?? Regardless, if they can do it, TiCN K390 Seki models would be GREAT! I'm in for one of each!!!! :smiling-heart-eyes
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

I've been looking into Ceracote for a gun. In addition to the "bake on" type, they make a two-part type and a one-part type. A starter kit with everything you need costs just under two Benjamins. There's also Duracote that comes in a rattle can, which has worked well for me. I've used neither product on knife blades, but I'd give it a try if I wanted a coated blade.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I have been beating the DLC K390 drum for a while. I want to see a K390 DLC chef knife in a Japanese style knife
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
vivi

Post by vivi »

K390 DLC Street Beat wouldn't be a bad idea.
:unicorn
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

yablanowitz wrote:
Thanks. I’ve been wondering about this but hadn’t seen Sal’s post. Given his report, I’m inclined to regard blade-coatings as essential only for anti-reflectance and for additional color, neither of which are compelling to me.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

K390 in DLC is a glaring omission from my PM2 collection, just sayin :)
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

I'm under the impression that you have to heat the blades up to apply the coatings. If that temperature doesn't align with the steel's tempering then you will soften the steel. So it might not be possible to apply DLC or TiCN coatings to K390?
•• Beau
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Buddafucco wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:04 pm
I'm under the impression that you have to heat the blades up to apply the coatings. If that temperature doesn't align with the steel's tempering then you will soften the steel. So it might not be possible to apply DLC or TiCN coatings to K390?
I'll admit that my heat treating experience is limited to fastenters and tooling (and that was years ago) but I wouldn't think heat needed to apply a coating like DLC would be enough to temper a steel like K390. If they can do other tool steels I doubt there'd be an issue with K390

I just searched before hitting the submit button. Looks like various DLC coatings are applied between 150°and 200°F
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
z1r

Post by z1r »

Probably in the minority here, but I prefer my K390 in the white.

That said, I am enjoying my DLC coated M4 N5!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

wrdwrght wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:50 am
yablanowitz wrote:
Thanks. I’ve been wondering about this but hadn’t seen Sal’s post. Given his report, I’m inclined to regard blade-coatings as essential only for anti-reflectance and for additional color, neither of which are compelling to me.
DLC coatings can do a lot to aid in corrosion prevention. The DLC coating itself does not prevent corrosion but it can still be advantageous in that regard. DLC is porous at the microscopic level and it holds onto oils well. It holds oils and corrosion inhibitors far better than a blade without a DLC coating, at least.

DLC coatings can dry out though and since it is a porous material, corrosion can still form through those microscopic pores. The coating will sometimes appear chalky when it’s dry. Usually it just needs to be cleaned and oiled for it to look good as new.

The coating itself physically covers much of the raw steel, it seems logical to think that in itself would provide some level of corrosion resistance. I would compare it to a bike lock - When it’s locked the bike is safer from being stolen but it’s still not entirely safe from theft. It can still get stolen, just not as easily. With a DLC coating, a blade can still develop corrosion but just not as easily. Especially when it’s used in conjunction with some type of corrosion inhibitor.

———

I believe it was Michael Janich who recently confirmed that applying a DLC coating does effect the heat treat at all. I will try to find the exact post if I can.
- Nick :bug-red
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

Fireman wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:36 pm
I have been beating the DLC K390 drum for a while. I want to see a K390 DLC chef knife in a Japanese style knife
Whhhhyyyyyy?

K390 (custom guys are doing it) sure but why on Earth would you want it coated?
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

A polished steel would rust less under DLC would it not.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

Fireman wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:33 pm
A polished steel would rust less under DLC would it not.
Why would you worry about rust at all though? And why sacrifice, or at least complicate, the ability to thin and maintain the geometry over time and also would likely induce drag.

I use much more reactive knives in the kitchen. In fact, most all of my kitchen cutlery are more reactive. It's really not the issue it's often made out to be.

Again, I'm all in favor of K390 in the kitchen. Heck yes! But I'll take mine naked. ;)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Eli Chaps wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:11 pm
Fireman wrote:
Whhhhyyyyyy?

DLC enhances corrosion resistance in my experience.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87786

Folding knives are different beasts than kitchen knives. Blades are easier to maintain than nested liners, stop pins, etc. Those parts can start rusting after reacting to rust exposure from a corroded blade.

That's my main concern with folders, not the blades. These concerns don't exist with kitchen knives. Those are typically used within fives paces of a sink too. Don't always have that luxury with a folder on a hike etc.

Carried my Resilience on a mountain hike today where I got completely submerged in water and carried it for hours IWB. Uncoated 8Cr would have rusted for me under these conditions but this 8Cr with a cheaper coating than Goldens DLC held up well.

Speaking of Golden DLC, this Millie swam in the Atlantic. The uncoated edge showed a lot more corrosion than the DLC, which was mostly pristine.

YMMV, but DLC makes a significant difference in corrosion resistance for me.

I'm also not so concerned with the geometry of a utility folder VS a kitchen knife. I'm content with thinning the edge bevel to ~10dps and rolling with otherwise stock geometry on most spydies. I appreciate good geometry but it's not my #1 priority in a folder.
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

vivi wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:01 pm
Eli Chaps wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:11 pm
Fireman wrote:
Whhhhyyyyyy?

DLC enhances corrosion resistance in my experience.

Yep, absolutely agree about the benefit differences between a folder and the kitchen. My comments were aimed directly at the kitchen knife suggestion.

If a person such as yourself genuinely needs or can benefit from the added protection of coatings on a folder and understands the flip side of them, then I'm all for it.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Oh my bad, I took your comment as directed towards all sorts ot knives. Seems we're on the same page that kitchen knives are a different beast when it comes to maintenance.

I tend to avoid carbon blades in my professional kitchen because of the difference they make with the taste of the food, but maintaining them isn't tough at all. I use them at home sometimes.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I was thinking that Sal or someone said DLC was not available in Japan so they used TiCn or something over there, instead, which is not as durable. Someone correct me if I am misremembering.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050