Native 5 salt is Magnacut?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Deadboxhero

Re: Native 5 salt is Magnacut?

Post by Deadboxhero »

salimoneus wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:00 pm
Don't hold your breath on seeing this anytime soon, continued production issues with this relatively new unproven steel in a folder format, is concerning.
Don't be a troll, if you don't know something, stay in your lane.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
salimoneus

Post by salimoneus »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:14 pm
First off, you aren't anyone worthy enough to tell me whether to stay or go anywhere.

Secondly, it's exactly the lack of transparency and detailed updates, that is the reason nobody knows anything about why mass production Magnacut has been delayed so significantly long. What is it, at least half a year past due now? That's not an insignificant amount of time.

And the reasons we have heard, something about some issues with locking materials or some such nonsense, sounds very suspect and doesn't really mean anything tangible. I sense something much more problematic than they would like us to believe.

But again, if there was actual real transparency, with supposedly the best and most promising thing since sliced bread, you'd think it wouldn't be such a big deal to be more forthcoming. But here we all are, wondering why we're still waiting around for a slice of this awesome sauce.

Like I said, don't hold your breath.
tbdoc4kids

Post by tbdoc4kids »

Better to take time and get it right, than rush and get it wrong. I trust Spyderco will get it right. I have enough knives to last several lifetimes, so I have no plans to hold my breath.

BTW, safe to say that BBB has the knowledge and reputation to back up his comments.

Just my two cents!
Matus

Post by Matus »

salimoneus wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:33 am
Deadboxhero wrote:
Secondly, it's exactly the lack of transparency and detailed updates
Could you please explain to the rest of the class why should Spyderco feel obliged to share all the development details, reasons for a delay, hick-ups and CEO's sock color with us? And yes, whether you like it or not, TrippeB knows. I am not sure about the socks though.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

salimoneus wrote:
Deadboxhero wrote:
First off, you aren't anyone worthy enough to tell me whether to stay or go anywhere.

First off, that would be false. Carry on.
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

salimoneus wrote:
Deadboxhero wrote:

Secondly, it's exactly the lack of transparency and detailed updates, that is the reason nobody knows anything about why mass production Magnacut has been delayed so significantly long. What is it, at least half a year past due now? That's not an insignificant amount of time.

And the reasons we have heard, something about some issues with locking materials or some such nonsense, sounds very suspect and doesn't really mean anything tangible. I sense something much more problematic than they would like us to believe.

The guy who basically created the heat treat literature might have a thing or 2 to say worth listening to. I know samples were sent to a few ppl before magnacut even had a name. Shawn being one of them. But investigate this conspiracy for us all. Might I suggest using a kayak to be more stealth oriented on your travels.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
salimoneus

Post by salimoneus »

Matus wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:38 am
And yes, whether you like it or not, TrippeB knows.
Knows what exactly? If he knows anything about why Magnacut has been delayed in this mass production folder going on 9 months, I sure haven't seen him share any insider details on the subject. Both he and yourself sound like all the rest of the Spyderco fanboys, not capable of criticizing anything they do regardless of the circumstances.

It's only natural for people to question and doubt when there are major delays, especially with an absence of logical explanations or reasons. If the reasons are completely benign and harmless, then why not just offer up the details? Not doing so is only more cause for concern.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Maybe the fact that he has an upcoming Spyderco collaboration gives him a little credibility, among many other reasons you seem unaware of. It sounds like you have no idea what you are talking about, even if we are fanboys.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

salimoneus wrote:
Deadboxhero wrote:

But again, if there was actual real transparency, with supposedly the best and most promising thing since sliced bread, you'd think it wouldn't be such a big deal to be more forthcoming. But here we all are, wondering why we're still waiting around for a slice of this awesome sauce.

Like I said, don't hold your breath.

It's not that you're wrong, you just don't have to be so crass about it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Remember who's in charge, now. Remember this is the era of McD's getting successfully sued for many millions because the hot coffee was hot. If Spyderco told everything, somebody would definitely find a way to use it against them and sue. It would also give their competitors an unfair advantage because by Spyderco letting such things become common knowledge they would be doing their competitor's R&D for them.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:45 am
Remember who's in charge, now. Remember this is the era of McD's getting successfully sued for many millions because the hot coffee was hot. If Spyderco told everything, somebody would definitely find a way to use it against them and sue. It would also give their competitors an unfair advantage because by Spyderco letting such things become common knowledge they would be doing their competitor's R&D for them.

If Sal or someone actually mentioned anything about heat treat concerns, it would be repeated until the end of time that this steel has heat treat problems and every time someone did a crappy job removing a burr and got chips in their edge or something like that it would be "wah this steel has poor heat treat". People already see one tabletop YouTuber make a claim about stuff like this and repeat it like it's the law, if someone official from Spyderco said it you may as well engrave it on the tang too.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Ignore troll.
dlum1

Post by dlum1 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:45 am
Just a quick aside. Your point is certainly valid, but the example may not be the best. You made a reference to one of the most successful smear campaigns in history. The actual story is rather fascinating:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck ... estaurants
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

If magnacut was an older, well known steel - then I might have concerns with prolonged production delays. However, it is a new steel, and Spyderco always does everything they can to make sure their products are the best they can supply at that time - AND then they still do CQI to ensure they are continuously bringing the best they can. It is one of the many reasons I personally choose to purchase and use Spyderco products.

Currently, I would love to get a leaf blade dragonfly in k390. OOS everywhere. Still not a concern for me, as I know it will come back in stock, at some point. For as many different steels, makes and models that Spyderco provides, it is amazing the choices constantly available.

After lc200n and the issues with other metals and contact/rust, I for one and very happy Spyderco is making sure to provide the best they can supply. While I really, really want one NOW - I can wait a little longer.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

With the factory production schedule as full as it is (seems to be over 100% full) any product with issues is going to get pushed back in the queue. So while it may or may not be a major issue, it will still have to get moved back so that other products can get produced.

And Shawn (BBB/DBH) is a subject matter expert, for lack of a better term, who is collaborating with Spyderco on heat treatments and also on his own knife design. He's not just some schmo off the street like the rest of us.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Matus

Post by Matus »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:19 am
Ignore troll.
Over where I am a mod, we simply ban them if it gets too bad. The life is too short.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
salimoneus

Post by salimoneus »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:52 am
With the factory production schedule as full as it is (seems to be over 100% full) any product with issues is going to get pushed back in the queue. So while it may or may not be a major issue, it will still have to get moved back so that other products can get produced.
I hear you, and maybe if we were talking about a brand new model that had never been released before, then sure that's one thing. But the Native 5 platform has been out for quite a long time, with many blade steel options. So they've been around the block a few times with this model, and one would think there can't be too many surprises at this point.
Joshuaroyce

Post by Joshuaroyce »

Any idea when it will be released?! Had mine on pre order since they first announced it
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

No. This entire thread mostly about not knowing when it will ship. I'm sure the thread will be updated as soon as anyone hears a ship date.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:29 am
No. This entire thread mostly about not knowing when it will ship. I'm sure the thread will be updated as soon as anyone hears a ship date.
I agree ! MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau