Military 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
pleadnotguilty

Re: Military 2

Post by pleadnotguilty »

Looking forward to the s90v and maxamet
horzuff

Post by horzuff »

I would also be great if there were some experiments with contouring the scales. Do something like Shiro's do on F3. And a decent, hobbyist-level stainless to boot
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

Pardon me if it was discussed somewhere and I missed it, but I thought the Military 2 was going to have the Stop Lock on it not the compression lock. When was this changed?
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

PanChango wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:03 pm
Pardon me if it was discussed somewhere and I missed it, but I thought the Military 2 was going to have the Stop Lock on it not the compression lock. When was this changed?
I recall the stop-lock being discussed. I suspect that changed about the time it was decided the Military2 would not be a one-off and might even become the original’s replacement.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

wrdwrght wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:14 pm
PanChango wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:03 pm
I recall the stop-lock being discussed. I suspect that changed about the time it was decided the Military2 would not be a one-off and might even become the original’s replacement.
Thanks.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Maybe the Stop Lock didn't end up the way they had hoped? Maybe that patent image we all saw was just drawn up in what looked like a Military, did anyone ever see a working prototype?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:53 am
Evil D wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:01 am
https://youtu.be/WsbnTk5AEeE

@1:45

"We've also prepared for more blade shapes in the future"

Sounds like a tanto Military may finally happen.

Also maybe that's a prototype or maybe just bow Eric has it adjusted, but the way it looks opening and closing looks far from drop shutty lol.
I’m beginning to think that Sal’s (re)assurances—that the original Military will stick around after release of the 2—just won’t be sustainable, especially if sales of the original continue to be as low as rumored.

All the new parts—with different blade shapes now possible because of them—suggests to me that the 2 was not trivial either to imagine or to implement.

I may have missed it, but is the 2 lined, and if so, are the liners full and nested?

A MagnaCut send-off of the original appeals to me.
I think do to not having large sale numbers spyderco can keep selling them for a while because they have a large stock of them. Probably they will not make the old Military anymore when the stock runs out. And another thing all people buying the military 2 will have spend there cash so that means the stock of the old military can run longer.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:27 am
Maybe the Stop Lock didn't end up the way they had hoped? Maybe that patent image we all saw was just drawn up in what looked like a Military, did anyone ever see a working prototype?
Perhaps. See: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=89515&p=1516658&hil ... k#p1516658
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

wrdwrght wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:20 am
Evil D wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:27 am
Perhaps. See: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=89515&p=1516658&hil ... k#p1516658
Thanks for the link.
Boss Hogg

Post by Boss Hogg »

I’m tired of waiting for this knife!

Sorry - just had to vent…
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

chkn wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:13 pm
While I'm definitely getting a Military 2 I'm kind of sad that I won't be able to swap blades/handles with the standard Military knives I already own.
Guess Spyderco will just have to rerun all the steels in the new configuration :P
Starting to sound like a certain unnamed computer company named after a fruit…
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

Somewhat surprised we didn't see this in the Revel. The journey continues… :eyes
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

I think it’s kind of early for the Military2 Compression Lock since the prototype was first shown at Blade Show in early June 2022. Apparently, Military2 will be priced less than the current Military model and it was the American-Made Knife Of The Year® at the 2022 Blade Show.

I'm guessing it will be in the 2023 Spyderco Product Guide (around December 2022) and/or Reveal 12 (around January 2023 before 2023 SHOT Show).

https://youtu.be/oTGHXxmveY8
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Yeah seems I remember Eric saying something along the lines of it being super early to reveal it the first time it was shown, but that they were very excited about it so did anyway. I wouldn't be holding my breath too soon for this one, it could well be a year or more away still.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Matus

Post by Matus »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:19 am
Just let me get a Military 1 in PE and SE MagnaCut and give it a proper send-off. Peel ply carbon fiber is fine, and if you really wanna get fancy with a real salute to the greatest you can give it a palladium bug in the handle like the Centofante has (and like a previous Forum Military got). While there are still several other steels I'd like to see in a Military, this would at least be a fond fair well.
+1
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I wish they release the Millie2 in SPY27. It would have Sal Glesser written all over.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Basko00

Post by Basko00 »

Im not overly excited for the Military 2 yet. Unless I’m missing something it looks like it’s essentially going to be a PM2 XL. My experience with the compression lock in the PM2 has been mixed. I currently have a dozen or so and I carried it more years than any other model knife. I’ve had a couple PM2’s with little to no detent and a couple with, what I can best describe as, a soft or muddy lockup. I’ve never experienced either of these traits with any Military frame lock or liner lock. That’s what I carry 90% of the time these days. If the Military 2 has a solid detent and a consistently positive lock up, I’ll be interested.
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

I'm tremendously excited for the Military 2. I've wanted one since perhaps 2018-19? when I saw the prototype at SHOT Show.

The wonderful Millie, with a better lock and 4 way clip. What could be better?

Hopefully there will be a SE version offered, even briefly. Its been what, 15 years since a SE millie was on the market? Due to the more negative blade angle / belly of the Millie, I think it will really excel at pull cuts with the SE, as it could put multiple teeth into a flat material being cut.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:02 pm
it could well be a year or more away still.
You could be right, Spyderco doesn't want to rush out a product. I recall Sal saying in the past that he would carry and use prototypes during development.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

One definite plus to the Military2 is it will save me a bunch of money that I can spend on other things, especially if the original goes by the wayside. Not excited for yet another of my least favorite lock.