Military 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bloke

Re: Military 2

Post by Bloke »

Still patiently awaiting a Maxamet Military. :yawn
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Bloke wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:17 am

Yes!!
So it goes.
amateur blacksmith

Post by amateur blacksmith »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:19 am
Just let me get a Military 1 in PE and SE MagnaCut and give it a proper send-off. Peel ply carbon fiber is fine, and if you really wanna get fancy with a real salute to the greatest you can give it a palladium bug in the handle like the Centofante has (and like a previous Forum Military got). While there are still several other steels I'd like to see in a Military, this would at least be a fond fair well.

I agree 100%. It deserves something special before it fades away. As much as people love it I doubt sales will be suficient to keep it alive. A sprint or excusive with a well rounded (ballanced) steel would be nice. I just hope if it happens (an exclusive) it's not one of the retailers who only ships within the USA. That would suck big time.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I am going to pick up a plain jane s30v Military as a user. I am also definitely going to be in on sprints and exclusives of the Military 2. In fact, the Military 2 will probably end the pm2 for me. I like the clip/carry positions. I really like the reshaped handle, specifically the forward finger gaurd for the behind the choil grip. I like that it will essentially be a pm2 XL.

I still want a user regular Military. I have the s110v but I would rather have the s30v in case of doing edge damagey things.

I agree with others that the military is the best liner lock I have ever used. This is why I want to make sure I have a couple in case it gets discoed.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
James Y

Post by James Y »

If I ever do end up getting a Military 2 one day, I'll be happy.

I agree with those who say the Military 1 is the best liner lock on the market. However, I do own 4 Militarys already. If the liner lock version gets DQ'd, I won't feel sentimental about it.

Jim
SAF-1

Post by SAF-1 »

Military 2 in MAGNACUT, 3V, 4V, and Cruwear PLZ !!!!!!!
chkn

Post by chkn »

While I'm definitely getting a Military 2 I'm kind of sad that I won't be able to swap blades/handles with the standard Military knives I already own.
Guess Spyderco will just have to rerun all the steels in the new configuration :P
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Bummer about them getting rid of the liner lock. I'll be getting one, preferably a blacked out dlc one.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Bloke wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:46 am
I wonder if a Military 3 could be made which was a multi lock?

I’d love to see a new Military which has a liner lock, a compression lock, axis lock, cbl lock and back lock.

The knife I envision would have a dial or multi position switch discreetly incorporated into the scales allowing toggling between locks.

Perhaps Mr Glesser or one of the more experienced knife makers here could chime in? :cheap-sunglasses
I want to request a choil that toggles between old style and new style also! :rofl
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Bloke wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:17 am
Still awaiting a K390 military.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

https://youtu.be/WsbnTk5AEeE

@1:45

"We've also prepared for more blade shapes in the future"

Sounds like a tanto Military may finally happen.

Also maybe that's a prototype or maybe just bow Eric has it adjusted, but the way it looks opening and closing looks far from drop shutty lol.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:01 am

Also maybe that's a prototype or maybe just bow Eric has it adjusted, but the way it looks opening and closing looks far from drop shutty lol.
I’m beginning to think that Sal’s (re)assurances—that the original Military will stick around after release of the 2—just won’t be sustainable, especially if sales of the original continue to be as low as rumored.

All the new parts—with different blade shapes now possible because of them—suggests to me that the 2 was not trivial either to imagine or to implement.

I may have missed it, but is the 2 lined, and if so, are the liners full and nested?

A MagnaCut send-off of the original appeals to me.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:53 am
Evil D wrote:

I’m beginning to think that Sal’s (re)assurances—that the original Military will stick around after release of the 2—just won’t be sustainable, especially if sales of the original continue to be as low as rumored.

All the new parts—with different blade shapes now possible because of them—suggests to me that the 2 was not trivial either to imagine or to implement.

I may have missed it, but is the 2 lined, and if so, are the liners full and nested?

A MagnaCut send-off of the original appeals to me.

It was the same with the Paramilitary, the writing is on the wall. There has no doubt been a lot invested into the M2 and I think it's going to be a huge success, maybe not as much as the Para 2 and 3 because I don't think the majority of knife buyers want an EDC this large, but the form factor being essentially a Para 2 XL means it'll be extremely familiar with everyone who's handled a Para 2 and that's just smart business since the Para 2 practically prints money.
~David
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

2 means better to the average knife buyer and being offered at a lower price point, with much wider availability while also winning American Knife of the Year certainly means the end of the Military Model 1in the not too distant future.

I just hope we see at least one sprint and a couple of exclusives before it's all said and done...

There's still a ton of love by those who've experienced the Millie, but new users are going to choose the 2 nearly everytime. Plus, newly ordered exclusives are going to be taking advantage of the revived hype, basically snuffing the already asphyxiating production/sales of the Military 1.
So it goes.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

The Autonomy and the Autonomy2 both currently coexist and are being produced at the same time.

I like that SMKW snuck the "when" question in... sounds like they're shooting for before spring 2023.

I'm excited for this one! The Compression Lock is my fave and I never gave the Military a shot because of the clip position. They changed the deal breaker into a deal maker!

But it would look better with K390 on the blade and matching blue G-10. :drooling
•• Beau
makawakaroni

Post by makawakaroni »

Evil D wrote:

And all those blade shapes will be dealer exlusives, judging by past experience. :(
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Buddafucco wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:45 am
The Autonomy and the Autonomy2 both currently coexist and are being produced at the same time.

Well the only thing they share is the lock type, literally everything else is different even the steel. Really to call the second one an Autonomy 2 is a bit of a reach isn't it?

Like I said in another thread (or this one I've lost track), the stainless Police and every other version after it have coexisted, so who's to say these can't? Who really thinks the sales between those two are anywhere near close? How many stainless handles knives are they selling these days? Yet the original still lingers, maybe out of respect and heritage because it's one of the original lineup, and maybe that's why the M1 will stick around. We lot do tend to jump to conclusions.

~David
DrHE

Post by DrHE »

The MIL2 is the knife I am now most excited about. It’s all the reasons I own PM2s but in a blade length I prefer. I need them in M4, CruWear, spy27 and others.
M.N.O.S.D. 0031
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I have to admit, I owned a Military, and found it too big at the time. I don't know if I still would. Maybe I should try again, while I can. I thought it was the best linerlock I'd ever handled, and still do. That said, I love what I know so far about the 2. I am still curious about the weight, but I can certainly see getting one. I'm sure it will be a great knife, and wildly successful.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I was pleasantly surprised to learn that the Mil 2 is going to be a bit cheaper than the Mil 1. For some reason, I had assumed that a comp lock version would cost more to make, but apparently not.

Jim