Benchmade Crooked River folder?...

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Coastal

Benchmade Crooked River folder?...

Post by Coastal »

I'm considering saving up for one of these, or the Mini Crooked River, since I really enjoy mixing traditional and modern aesthetics and materials. Plus, the traditional clip point is my favorite blade shape. Plus, S90V is available through the custom shop. Anyone have experience with either knife? With the custom shop versus off-the-shelf? How has Benchmade's QC been lately? I have some of their older products (decades older), and they were fine for a full-production shop, but I've read that they've had some rough days.

What say y'all? :face monocle
Manixguy@1994

Re: Benchmade Crooked River folder?...

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Coastal wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:15 pm
I'm considering saving up for one of these, or the Mini Crooked River, since I really enjoy mixing traditional and modern aesthetics and materials. Plus, the traditional clip point is my favorite blade shape. Plus, S90V is available through the custom shop. Anyone have experience with either knife? With the custom shop versus off-the-shelf? How has Benchmade's QC been lately? I have some of their older products (decades older), and they were fine for a full-production shop, but I've read that they've had some rough days.

What say y'all? :face monocle
Hi Coastal! I have looked at the Crooked River in both sizes for a year after handling one at a show . Like you I am a sucker for the clip point blade . It is at the top of my BM list to buy in the future . I bought two BM models in last ten months , Large Adamas and first run Turrent in PE Satin . The QC on both models were very good in every area , no complaints. Friend recently picked up the Adamas Auto and wish he did not show it to me . Action is same as my Hogue Ballista Military grade models but in Cruwear . A custom shop with upgraded steel to me would definitely be worth the wait . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:31 pm

Hi Coastal! I have looked at the Crooked River in both sizes for a year after handling one at a show . Like you I am a sucker for the clip point blade . It is at the top of my BM list to buy in the future . I bought two BM models in last ten months , Large Adamas and first run Turrent in PE Satin . The QC on both models were very good in every area , no complaints. Friend recently picked up the Adamas Auto and wish he did not show it to me . Action is same as my Hogue Ballista Military grade models but in Cruwear . A custom shop with upgraded steel to me would definitely be worth the wait . Dan
Thanks, Dan. Oh wow, that Adamas looks awesome! This is the first I'd heard of it. Man!

I'll probably be in for the original large Crooked River at some point. I find it hard to buy a small version of a knife when a large version is available. I really like my Schempp Bowie; similar concept but obviously way different design. I like it, but I always find myself wishing it was about a quarter again larger than it is.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Coastal wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:49 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:31 pm

Thanks, Dan. Oh wow, that Adamas looks awesome! This is the first I'd heard of it. Man!

I'll probably be in for the original large Crooked River at some point. I find it hard to buy a small version of a knife when a large version is available. I really like my Schempp Bowie; similar concept but obviously way different design. I like it, but I always find myself wishing it was about a quarter again larger than it is.
I agree the mini version would not be for me in the classic lines of the knife . The Adamas is a bit of a beast definitely not a Stretch XL carry wise but actually not that bad for someone who has carried heavier knives over the years . Dan
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I dearly miss my Mini CR. It was a great knife. The large brother is just as great! Benchmade has really been killing it lately, and their QC has been top notch.
Josh
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

I just took delivery of a new Bugout and the action was stiff and blade centering was way off. I fixed it, only took 20 mins. qc is hit or miss with any large company.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

I have 2 crooked rivers and 2 minis, standard and customs of each. They're all excellent. Some of my favorites honestly. I prefer the large, but do carry the smalls quite a bit because the smaller knives are easier to handle with some of the work i do.

They're like modern takes on the buck 110 and 112. They're just great knives imo, and Benchmade is a close 2nd for me as a favorite company. Love my Adamas, Super Freek, the crooked rivers, contego, and the Griptilian... Have a g10/20cv and 2 customs. Love them.

Benchmade seems to be a bit hit and miss on qc, but I've never gotten a knife from them that has been so bad it needed to go back. A reprofile because of a too obtuse edge, some pivot tuning maybe. Centered (or mostly so), but I don't worry about that much.

And if you do have issues their warranty is great. My first crooked river (bought on eBay for pretty cheap) had a broken scale and an oversharpened blade. Sent it to them and they fixed it up no problem!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

soc_monki wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:01 am
I have 2 crooked rivers and 2 minis, standard and customs of each. They're all excellent. Some of my favorites honestly. I prefer the large, but do carry the smalls quite a bit because the smaller knives are easier to handle with some of the work i do.

They're like modern takes on the buck 110 and 112. They're just great knives imo, and Benchmade is a close 2nd for me as a favorite company. Love my Adamas, Super Freek, the crooked rivers, contego, and the Griptilian... Have a g10/20cv and 2 customs. Love them.

Benchmade seems to be a bit hit and miss on qc, but I've never gotten a knife from them that has been so bad it needed to go back. A reprofile because of a too obtuse edge, some pivot tuning maybe. Centered (or mostly so), but I don't worry about that much.

And if you do have issues their warranty is great. My first crooked river (bought on eBay for pretty cheap) had a broken scale and an oversharpened blade. Sent it to them and they fixed it up no problem!
Only BM , I have sent back was a 940 G10 model . I wanted to switch out scale screws and ruined a screw head so bad I was unable to remove it . I sent it in explaining my error , they fixed it no charge . The knife came back perfectly centered , edge had been touched up , and opened smooth as glass . I don’t have a lot of BM knives but love everyone I have . Dan
Henry David Thoreau
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Thanks for the feedback, guys!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Funny you mention the Crooked River folder as I too have been on the verge of buying one for a few years now. I will probably end up buying the smaller version at some point, but I’m thinking the new BM Weekender might have to come first (here’s a link: https://www.benchmade.com/317-1-weekender.html). My last two BM’s have been fantastic: a CF Proper with a clip point and a Mini 940 in black G-10. Both are top-notch in terms of fit and finish. I can find nothing wrong with them. The Proper has become one of my all-time favorites, due to its slender scales and low profile in the pocket.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Just grabbed a Mini Bugout and love it. Only thing missing is the spyderhole! I have to say this knife delivers a lot of quality at the price point
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I have the Crooked River and have for a few years. I enjoy it, though I don't like the pakkawood. At least the ones I got. But it's a good one. Wish it was hollow ground.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!