LET GB1 COME BACK ! ! !

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Matus

Re: LET GB1 COME BACK ! ! !

Post by Matus »

That I can agree with.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
dan31

Post by dan31 »

The GB1 was a regular production knife so I can’t see a reason they couldn’t run a batch and put it back in the catalog for a year. One batch may satisfy many who never got one or would like a back up.
fanglekai

Post by fanglekai »

dan31 wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:29 pm
The GB1 was a regular production knife so I can’t see a reason they couldn’t run a batch and put it back in the catalog for a year. One batch may satisfy many who never got one or would like a back up.
I've got a backup but I think I need a backup for the backup.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

...If THIS happens, the Stretch 1 should get its comeback too!! :beaming-face

(More or less just kidding, cause that would be a lot more difficult and costly since the molds for the Stretch 1 FRN handle do not exist anymore as far as I recall)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
kobold

Post by kobold »

I would instantly sell my GB2.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
my_spyder

Post by my_spyder »

dan31 wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:29 pm
agree when i knew gb1 is discontinued i was shock, great design and wonderful cutting ability, personally, I don't like the shape of gb2 i hope they can retain gb1's look on their future gb3 and change the blade steel to magnacut or some other good steels
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

Gb1 is definitely one of my favorite folding knives especially for hard use. I think for the style blade shape it has, knife design is perfectly executed. I’d love if spyderco brought it back. I’d personally ask for contoured g10 handle scales. Found this pic somewhere with custom g10 put on, looks like it makes for a very comfortable grip.
Attachments
59255948-071F-488F-9956-A20990CCD502.jpeg
:bug-red-white
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

As much as I like the GB1, I normally throw a Stretch in my pocket instead.

It is mostly the weight that bugs me.
Matus

Post by Matus »

PanChango wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:44 pm

Yes, the weight was just a little too much and knife feels butt-heavy. At the same time - the solidity of the super-thick liner lock feels awesome (it is effectively a framelock)
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:19 pm
Gb1 is definitely one of my favorite folding knives especially for hard use. I think for the style blade shape it has, knife design is perfectly executed. I’d love if spyderco brought it back. I’d personally ask for contoured g10 handle scales. Found this pic somewhere with custom g10 put on, looks like it makes for a very comfortable grip.

That looks great! Handle and blade!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
my_spyder

Post by my_spyder »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
this black g10 handle really give this knife a old style knife feeling and some kind of "sinister" feeling i love it
my_spyder

Post by my_spyder »

PanChango wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:44 pm

I think it's the weight and the solid feel in the hand that makes gb1 a classic
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:22 pm
Matus wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 4:27 am
About those snag notches … when cutting with my PM2 large pieces of cardboard - The finer choil with the ramp in front of it is a snag notch per excellence. Well made sharpening choil and handle design combination don’t tend to snag (much).

I've had this happen too, that's why I'd just assume not have a finger choil either.
Yep. Try a Tenacious or Caribbean for your cardboard and webbing cutting chores. No snags, you’ll be a happy camper.
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

my_spyder wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:07 am
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
this black g10 handle really give this knife a old style knife feeling and some kind of "sinister" feeling i love it
yeah totally get that, when I first saw it for some reason what came to my mind was the terminator lol, I could picture him carrying one of these in the first movie for some reason.
:bug-red-white
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I’d be very excited to see a GB1 sprint/exclusive and also surprised one doesn’t exist yet. I thought I had read that Gayle Bradley had a new Spyderco model he was designing, but maybe that was wishful thinking. Here are my large Bradley folders with some custom Micarta scales from Steve Ketchen that I’ve had in my collection for years, along with my de-flippered Advocate — they’re all excellent knives IMHO. Cheers, Radioactive

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Thosse scales are amazing! I especially like the brown and burgundy.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

JSumm wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:40 pm
Hi Jeff, thank you, not that I can take much credit other than their design. Those were made by Steve Ketchen quite a while back, unfortunately Steve went AWOL with a bunch of my knives and others that he was supposed to be making custom scales for (there was police involvement and everything, with no luck). The GB1 has brown canvas Micarta and Thunderstrike Kevlar bolsters with an orange G10 pinstripe and liners. This GB Air also done up by Steve Ketchen is burgundy Micarta. It’s a real shame what happened with him, I’ve haven’t come across anyone else who makes custom scales at this level. Cheers, Radioactive

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:36 pm
JSumm wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:40 pm
Hi Jeff, thank you, not that I can take much credit other than their design. Those were made by Steve Ketchen quite a while back, unfortunately Steve went AWOL with a bunch of my knives and others that he was supposed to be making custom scales for (there was police involvement and everything, with no luck). The GB1 has brown canvas Micarta and Thunderstrike Kevlar bolsters with an orange G10 pinstripe and liners. This GB Air also done up by Steve Ketchen is burgundy Micarta. It’s a real shame what happened with him, I’ve haven’t come across anyone else who makes custom scales at this level. Cheers, Radioactive

Oh wow! He must have been in a really bad place. Well the talent is definitely there. They are stunning.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

K390 or M4 please
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:14 pm

C134CFP2_Both.png

No snag notches for me thanks.
I would agree at first blush.

But I happen to be carrying my D’Allara2 today, which should be doubly problematic with its additional sharpening choil, and yet it isn’t for me. I’m aware of the snag potential and simply adjust my range of motion.

I do prefer my GB1. But truly handle-forward designs are now intriguing me even more.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”