Relics of the past

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ladybug93

Re: Relics of the past

Post by ladybug93 »

my collection isn't very big compared to most people around here. i specifically chose each of them for a reason, so it would be difficult to let them go. i have a few that i may let go of eventually as i gather more, but it's not likely that my collection will ever become a revolving door where they leave as easily as they come.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
mreagan

Post by mreagan »

This is a timely thread. I have been a long time-ish Spyderco owner ('03 when I first deployed overseas), but a recent forum member and enthusiast. I only have a small Spyderco dealer (maybe a dozen knives, likely less) near me, so I have bought a few designs to try and will keep all, except one. The Manix 2 Maxamet is just not my cup of tea. It feels HUGE in the pocket, which is weird as the Shaman does not feel huge but is similar in size. I'm not a fan of the grip, both how it feels, and the large FRN real estate feels unsatisfactory for such a large handle. I know others feel differently. I'd like to sell or trade for a Kapara. I'd love any recommendations on reputable websites to sell/trade. On a side note, has Spyderco ever tried an Ambassador program, where enthusiasts would be willing to have meet ups with new members? I'm in a position in life where I can afford a few knives, but twenty years ago, I'd only be able to buy one. I would have loved to get my hands on before buying...
Matt

:bug-red-white , Watu, PM2 Crucarta, Shaman, Caribbean, SpydieChef, Ikuchi, Chaparral, Manix 2, Native 5, Siren, Delica 4, Kapara, Manix 2 Maxamet, Raven 2
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I wish I could get myself to actually sell some of what I collected over the last 20 years. While I admire those who can easily move things along, it sadly does not appear to be in my nature. Like a dragon of old, I like to sleep on my glittering hoard. :rofl
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

the stuff that's stuck around generally has something to recommend it. I find I'm getting far more open to modding and personalization with knives that have been with me for a while.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

mreagan wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:48 am
This is a timely thread. I have been a long time-ish Spyderco owner ('03 when I first deployed overseas), but a recent forum member and enthusiast. I only have a small Spyderco dealer (maybe a dozen knives, likely less) near me, so I have bought a few designs to try and will keep all, except one. The Manix 2 Maxamet is just not my cup of tea. It feels HUGE in the pocket, which is weird as the Shaman does not feel huge but is similar in size. I'm not a fan of the grip, both how it feels, and the large FRN real estate feels unsatisfactory for such a large handle. I know others feel differently. I'd like to sell or trade for a Kapara. I'd love any recommendations on reputable websites to sell/trade. On a side note, has Spyderco ever tried an Ambassador program, where enthusiasts would be willing to have meet ups with new members? I'm in a position in life where I can afford a few knives, but twenty years ago, I'd only be able to buy one. I would have loved to get my hands on before buying...
You can try this too.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=89177
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

My collection is more of a steel collection. I got the knives out of boxes and drawers and up on the back of my closet door. Now it's wall art too. It works for me. Probably will get rid of a few small ones. Might as well be flexible.

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

SG89 wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:33 pm
I’m about to sell off yet another round of knives I thought I would never part with. I don’t really ever have regrets about selling. I’m grateful for the time we had together and then it’s on to the next. Spyderco keeps innovating and I can’t afford to keep them all. The old ones fund the new ones for me.
I generally work this way too. I've had a BUNCH of knives that I said I would NEVER sell...yet I don't own most of those anymore. I can honestly say I really only regret selling one of them, and that's because of the great ebay deals back in the day and if I wanted it again, I'd never get it new for $114 (GB2).

I guess I don't really hold as much sentiment to most knives as a lot of people seem to do. Their really just knives, and there's plenty more out there to choose from. It's honestly very easy to get over selling a knife, because chances are you're going to be replacing it with one that's been catching your eye for a bit anyways!

Also, congrats on the 10,000 post milestone!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Relics of the past? Yes, I’m one.

Oh, wait…

Being relatively late to Spyderco (I joined this forum only 11 years ago), I’m surprised to hear about Spydies I bought as they were released—ones I still prize—as being relics.

So be it. Tastes change.

I’m disinclined to rid myself of any Spydie I have affection for; that’s now 104 of ‘em (including numerous variants, because steels…).

I think this retention has much to do with my fascination for design, which Spyderco gently invites since it so rarely fumbles execution.

I enjoy having safe-bound Spydies I often carried that I can fetch for comparison (or even for resumed carry). And, because the past is prologue, I enjoy finding real relics on the secondary market once I‘ve come to like one of its descendants. Why this change, but not that?

So, yeah, I like having (rather than forsaking) relics of the past.

Had a rarish 2008 S90V Military Model (sent it to Golden to reseat the lanyard tube, but someone in UPS stole it on the return), and have, for example, a Lil’Temperance2 (because I already had a Lil’Temp3), two original Manixes (because I already had Manix2s and an XL), a Meerkat, a Jess Horn2, a micarta Calypso (because I already had G10 sprint) a Dyad (its trailing point got me to the Lil’Temp2…), a Breeden Captain, a Massad Ayoob sprint, a SuperLeaf, an original Stretch, a Spin, a D’Allara2 (because I already had a D’Allara3), a Salsa, a Des Horn, and two titanium Bob Lums.

I tell myself I’ll just keep on keeping on because I have a grandson who can continue my curiosity or do the sell-off that folks here are contemplating.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing a Cruwear Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I, too, am a relic of the past. I have given away many more than I've sold. The rest may come in handy in a few years when I'm retired and my fixed income no longer covers my bills, but until then, well, I know who taught Smaug how to hoard.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Reading all your posts is making me fear for the amount of living space left I'll have in 10 years!
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Ramonade wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:14 pm
Reading all your posts is making me fear for the amount of living space left I'll have in 10 years!

I suggest getting into the habit of selling or gifting the ones that you know you can live without now. It only gets harder with more time and accumulation! :smirk
So it goes.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

I feel like I've brought this topic up several times in the last couple of years and have probably only moved 4 or 5 knives.

I've got many knives that haven't been carried in a few years, but once I start getting them out to move on, they suddenly become sentimental...LOL! They're not hurting anything while just sitting together in their cases and safes but they sure aren't adding anything to my life either. Culling is not nearly as easy as rationalizing, at least for me...
So it goes.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ramonade wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:14 pm

I own quite a number of knives; more than most people, but fewer than many around here own. Folding knives don't really take up much space, compared to some other things people accumulate. If I really wanted to, I could fit all the folding knives i own into a single one of my clothes drawers. I own only a few fixed blades and machetes, which don't take up much space, either. Those wouldn't even take up another drawer.

Not trying to encourage more accumulation; just saying that folding knives are generally fairly compact objects.

Jim
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I have a lot of trouble selling things off. I rarely carry my Manix 2 LW - honestly, I don’t like it very much. Yet it’s my Manix 2, and that is a hard thing to move past. I also rarely carry my Native 5 - not that I don’t love it, I simply prefer other knives.

I find that my knife preferences vary a bit by season, weather, and mood. I’ll go 6 months without carrying my Military, then carry it non-stop for two weeks.

I am looking forward to the Military 2, but don’t think I’ll be abandoning my Military 1.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Toucan

Post by Toucan »

If tastes change once, they can easily change again. I've definitely made the mistake of letting go of some knives that I thought I was done with, only to have my preferences revert back. I've been done with, then rediscovered/re-appreciated a several models many times.

When it's something like a Delica it's been painless to go through that cycle of rediscovery since they're ubiquitous. But, I deeply regret letting go of other knives that just can't be had again without paying sucker ebay prices.

If the models you think are thinking of parting with are discontinued or in any way rare, they're only gonna get more rare and expensive. It would be painful if you started to miss a model that becomes a $400 ebay buy.
benben

Post by benben »

I’ve been thinking of selling off half, or more of my collection but just never get around to it! I’ve only ever sold one of my knives before, a NIB Captain in the FB group, and was shocked at what this guy offered me….he really wanted it! I have however given 5 or 6 away.

Of my sock drawer full of Spyderco’s, I’m basically carrying just 5 these days.

Cru-Wear Manix.
Serrated Pacific Salt.
Serrated Rockjumper.
Serrated Native LW.
K390 Endela.

I can do a lot with these 5.
R100

Post by R100 »

JRinFL wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:38 am
I wish I could get myself to actually sell some of what I collected over the last 20 years. While I admire those who can easily move things along, it sadly does not appear to be in my nature. Like a dragon of old, I like to sleep on my glittering hoard. :rofl
This is me. My brother calls me Smaug!

Dan
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Man, I am the exact opposite. Very little sentimental attachment to anything. I have had to really make myself not sell the two Belgium Brownings I have as I don’t shoot them (have other shotguns).Would like to allow someone who would treasure them the opportunity to do so, but they ain’t making anymore of those so I will resist the urge.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I feel pain from your example. I had to sell two of my Dad's 12 gauges, plus an impossibly beautiful Sweet 16, long ago. I still feel it when I think about it.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I don't sell my knives very often. Maybe two to three a year max. I do a lot more trading than anything else at this stage of the game. I find it gives me a lot of versatility to check out a lot of models that I probably wouldn't buy under normal circumstances.

Most of my Spyderco collection are in two sectors. I have collector pieces that I strictly keep for the long haul and I very rarely ever use any of those>>> and I also have what I call a "user arsenal" which are blades that I rotate and use frequently. Being I'm big on many of Spyderco's "old school" models and especially those from what I affectionately refer to as the GOLDEN ERA of SPYDERS ( 1998-2004) I have most of my user arsenal with many of those particular older models.

With the upcoming Sprint Run of the C-60 Ayoob right at our doorstep it will be another old school model that I'll probably add to my user arsenal. Because some of those "old school" Spyderco models are such great users that I rarely make any of those into Safe Queens anymore. As time goes by I'm finding my "user arsenal" is getting about as big as my sacred collector footlocker is at this point.