Why hasn't the PM2 gotten the floating stop pin?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pcexbird

Why hasn't the PM2 gotten the floating stop pin?

Post by Pcexbird »

The Military and the PM3 get the floating stop pin, but the PM2 stays with the screw in style? Why is this?
E|D|C
:respect Cold Steel Tuff-Lite
:cyclone Case XX 5finn Fixed Blade
:flashlight LetmY 18650/UV395/1kLm Flashlight
Evil D

Re: Why hasn't the PM2 gotten the floating stop pin?

Post by Evil D »

I figured there would be a new generation of the Para 2 and that's why they never bothered. Why invest development into a model that's getting discontinued?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
anycal

Post by anycal »

New compression lock Military doesn’t have a floating pin either. I’m good with both designs. I have several knives with each, and I have no preference. Both work for me.
Peter
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Maybe the size is for something when it comes to compression locks. The Yojumbo doesn't have a floating stop pin either.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Pcexbird

Post by Pcexbird »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:27 pm
I figured there would be a new generation of the Para 2 and that's why they never bothered. Why invest development into a model that's getting discontinued?
Discontinued. Man I must be behind on the times, didn't know this
E|D|C
:respect Cold Steel Tuff-Lite
:cyclone Case XX 5finn Fixed Blade
:flashlight LetmY 18650/UV395/1kLm Flashlight
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Pcexbird wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:53 pm
Evil D wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:27 pm
Discontinued. Man I must be behind on the times, didn't know this

Oh it's not discontinued, I meant hypothetically if a new updated version of the Para 2 was in the works, then the current Para 2 would essentially be discontinued but that's not really the right word for it either if it's a CQI change. I guess it depends on how drastically different the changes are.
~David
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

What problem does the floating stop pin solve? I’m not being snarky, I just don’t know the answer.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Bill1170 wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:04 pm
What problem does the floating stop pin solve? I’m not being snarky, I just don’t know the answer.

Well I guess it's speculation on our end that it "solves" anything, I can probably speak for most people and say that at least with the CQI Military the action was improved so much that I assumed it was in part due to the new stop pin, but I guess it could also (and likely was) have been in part due to the change to a double screw pivot bushing. All I can say for sure is that the Militaries and Shamans I have with it have outstanding action and blade centering and such so it seemed like an improvement to me (an improvement compared to a Para 2 which I can't say have all been as consistent). From what I understand it seems like having a screw that close to the pivot screws can create binding and if you don't adjust it just right it can effect pivot action. That's my experience with other models like older Militaries, and I believe you can even test this out for yourself if you take one of these knives and crank down the stop pin screws, you'll likely see a change in pivot action. It's like the liners are pulled out of parallel or something. If this is all true then it may well be an issue with the Military 2, but it's also not the end of the world either and is just something that will need adjusted properly.
~David
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

If it's not broken don't fix it. Don't "solve" problems that aren't problems in the first place. Every design change could cause massive problems in your new CQI model. If it works, nobody complaints and there is no real benefit in changing it leave it alone. I have seen this numerous times in management. New manager walks in, thinks he can do better, changes things and in the end it turns out worse or creates new problems.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

The Para 3 lightweight and Military 2 don’t have a floating stop pin. Not sure what about a model makes it qualify for floating stop pin status but I highly prefer them. I agree with David above about the binding.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
cjk

Post by cjk »

Jim Malone wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:54 am
If it's not broken don't fix it. Don't "solve" problems that aren't problems in the first place. Every design change could cause massive problems in your new CQI model. If it works, nobody complaints and there is no real benefit in changing it leave it alone. I have seen this numerous times in management. New manager walks in, thinks he can do better, changes things and in the end it turns out worse or creates new problems.
Agreed. Not broken. Doesn’t need fixing.
cjk

Post by cjk »

Bill1170 wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:04 pm
My thoughts:

A floating stop pin would reduce the number of parts needed by 2. It could save some cost.

However, the floating stop pin might be more complex to machine than a plain cylinder, so that might be a wash on the cost of losing the screws.

Fewer parts should reduce assembly time a bit as well.

Use of a floating stop pin presumably would require closer tolerances as there are no screws to hold it in place.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Thank you, David and cjk. This is helpful to my understanding. It sounds like we don’t have a major problem with function in current PM2’s (mine work fine) and this might be a CQI measure for Spyderco to implement when it’s graceful to do so.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

SG89 wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:08 am
The Para 3 lightweight and Military 2 don’t have a floating stop pin. Not sure what about a model makes it qualify for floating stop pin status but I highly prefer them. I agree with David above about the binding.

That particular issue makes tinkering with some of my P3 LW exclusives a PITA. Apparently sometimes the stop pin on some units have particularly strong threadlocker that I have managed to mangle the screw interface of one of mine (P3 LW SPY27). Also given the construction of the P3 LW, the tightness or looseness of the screwed stop pin also apparently affects blade centering - not that the P3 LW has horrible blade centering issues to begin with.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet