Paramilitary 2 (20CV or S45VN)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pcexbird

Paramilitary 2 (20CV or S45VN)

Post by Pcexbird »

So if you had to choose only one PM2 (assuming you have no other Paramilitary 2's)

Would you get a S45VN OR a Sprint in 20CV?

I've read the typical charts comparing the steels. But I wanted some opinions on actual users of both of these blade steels and the benefit and drawbacks of going with the 20CV over the "standard" S45VN variant. Price is comparable, if not a tad cheaper for the 20CV.

Thanks
Last edited by Pcexbird on Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
E|D|C
:respect Cold Steel Tuff-Lite
:cyclone Case XX 5finn Fixed Blade
:flashlight LetmY 18650/UV395/1kLm Flashlight
JSumm

Re: Paramilitary 2 (20CV or S45VN)

Post by JSumm »

Probably very similar in use. S45VN is newer. I do not have any, but definitely want some.

- S45VN has a finer grain structure and 1% less Vanadium than 20CV. It will probably touch up easier and depending on hardness, may have better edge stability.

- 20CV is more corrosion resistant. 4% more chromium. But probably not too noticable. Both are very corrosion resistant of all the knife steels. Due to the slightly higher Vanadium, 20CV should have better wear resistance.

I think both are good. I would prefer S45VN because I don't have any. I also would like to see how it sharpens. Probably easier, but that is a guess.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
phaust

Post by phaust »

20cv for the much better edge retention and corrosion resistance, and it's be no contest in my mind and experience.
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

S45VN for me.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Matus

Post by Matus »

S45VN should be tougher, 20CV will hold edge longer.

I personally would get the CruWear :)
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

FWIW I really like Spyderco's 20cv. I think that it offers substantial benefits in edge retention and corrosion resistance over s45vn which means a blade that needs less maintenance and babying.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

20cv.

This isnt about the steel. I just think if you are getting your first of a model, or only one of a model, you are better off going with a sprint or exclusive if you have the opportunity. They are usually a better value at almost the same price.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
metaphoricalsimile

Oh, I just looked up the upcoming DLT release too and the full-black blade/hardware/liners with the tan scales is a *handsome* knife. Aesthetics are important to me, so I would go with this sprint run if you can nab one. Pcexbird I know you're relatively new to the knife game, but PM2 drops can disappear quick (although the last DLT release didn't!) so hop on this one if you want it.
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

20CV if you like the aesthetics of that DLT exclusive. The black and tan combo looks good to me. Functionally you will probably not notice the difference as you are talking about 2 very good stainless steels. 20CV is supposed to hold an edge longer. 20CV usually costs more so the exclusive for like $4 more than the production s45vn version seems good. Plus if you ever end up resell the exclusive you will get more than reselling the production S45vn version.
Last edited by spydergoat on Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I have a PM2 in S45 and I like it more than 20CV but don’t ask me why.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Matus

Post by Matus »

May I ask why?

😁
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I like S45VN just fine, it’s a very well-balanced steel. I feel like I have to sharpen my 204p less often, fwiw.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

The DLC 20CV/Tan exclusive is the obvious choice in mind...

Maybe I overvalue sprints and exclusives, but I'm not convinced that S45VN is a better knife steel than 20CV and exclusivity alone closes any gap that would be...

If you can pick up the DLC 20CV PM2 and it's qualities are what you're looking for, you would be remiss in holding out.
So it goes.
Pcexbird

Post by Pcexbird »

The only thing that even has me compaing is some folks saying 20CV is brittle and chips easily.
I don't use my knives as pry bars but that one aspect "toughness" has me a tad bit concerned. Upon further reading people seem to praise Spyderco's heat treat on their 20CV knives unlike ZT's 20CV heat treat.

I noticed knives with 20CV blades don't come cheap. There must be a reason (outside of hype) that makes this steel so desireable and expensive. The charts say 20CV can be harder to sharpen.

Will I be okay with my sharpmaker on 20CV? I don't plan on letting it get dull.
E|D|C
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I don't think 20CV is terrible to sharpen. Feels similar to S30V. Based on composition and user feedback, S45VN should be a little easier to sharpen, but probably negligible. Maybe someone who has had both can chime in. I wouldn't worry about 20CV being chippy.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Pcexbird

Post by Pcexbird »

Yeah i'd like to hear from anyone who has both steels and their opinion on it's difficulty. So far the replies have been great
Last edited by Pcexbird on Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
E|D|C
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Just set a reminder and have your DLT account (with payment info) set up beforehand...if you are logged in and check out in the first few minutes you will have your knife.

Best of luck!

I don't expect these to sell out instantly anyhow, but you never know...
So it goes.
metaphoricalsimile

Airlsee wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:19 am
Just set a reminder and have your DLT account (with payment info) set up beforehand...if you are logged in and check out in the first few minutes you will have your knife.

Best of luck!

I don't expect these to sell out instantly anyhow, but you never know...
DLT did a great job ordering sufficient stock for the purple cruwear PM2, I hope they're doing the same for this, but also I think spyderco fans are going to take some time to rebuild trust that this will be a continuing trend :grin-sweat
SixShot666

Post by SixShot666 »

I would go with CPM 20CV, since there's a DLT Exclusive that being re-release again.

These PM2 sold out fairly quickly last time, but I think you will have a good chance of scoring these this coming Tuesday, June 7th. DLT's exclusive drops have been very smooth and didn't sell out within a couple minutes.

Plus I think a lot of people used up their knife funds for this weekend Blade Show or are waiting for some exclusives release from their favorite online dealers coming back from the show.
:bug-white-red Over 300 Spyderco :bug-white-red
27---Hinderer XM-18 3.5"
8-----Hinderer XM-24 4"
9-----Hinderer Eklipse 3.5"
6-----Hinderer Maximus Bayonet Grind
3-----CRK Sebenza 21 Large
18---CRK Sebenza 31 Large
1-----CRK Sebenza 31 Large Elforyn Super Tusk Micarta
1-----CRK Inkosi Tanto Large
1-----CRK Inkosi Insingo Large Black Canvas Micarta
2-----CRK Umnumzaan Drop Point & Tanto
26---Spartan Harsey Folders Special Edition
95---Bark River Knives
18---Dawson Knives
69---Microtech Combat Troodon
27---Microtech Ultratech
9-----Microtech Delta Dirac
3-----Microtech Scarab II
65---Others Microtech Knives (Borka SBD & SBK, Stitch, Arbiter, Exocet, Hawk, Socom Elite, Socom Alpha, Socom Bravo)
27---Marfione Custom Knives
12---Kiku Matsuda Custom Knives
5-----CAS Sobral Brothers Custom Knives
8-----Rockstead Knives
Over 400 Benchmade, Cold Steel, Heretic Knives, Pro-Tech, RMJ Tactical, SOG, TOPS, WE Knives, Reate, Kizer, Condor Machetes, & Fox Knives combined.
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

Pcexbird wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:03 am
Yeah i'd like to hear from anyone who has both steels and their opinion on it's difficulty. So far the replies have been great
I haven't noticed much difference between sharpening 20CV, S30V, S35VN or S45VN, but I only use diamonds.