Endela or Straight Spine Stretch?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Endela or Straight Spine Stretch?

Poll ended at Fri May 20, 2022 10:52 pm

Endela
35%
Stretch
65%

Total votes: 49

juggler

Re: Endela or Straight Spine Stretch?

Post by juggler »

I don't care much for finger choils but I would pick a Stretch over an Endela any day of the week: the finger bumps are not as annoying on the Endela as they are on the Endura or the Delica... but they're still there!
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils.
z1r

Post by z1r »

soc_monki wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 3:13 am
I voted endela because... I love it. Lol
I agree, and agree with Warstein's comments.

But, I think if one is contemplating one or the other, they owe it to themselves to try each in hand if possible. I prefer the Endela because it is more pocket friendly, fits my hand better, and is lighter. If the Stretch 2 fits your hand better, then get it! If you can't try them before you buy, hmm. I'm not sure what to recommend, well, that's not try, I'd recommend the Endela.

I prefer the Endela for an EDC knife, but do like my ZDP Stretch 2 as a skinning knife. The Stretch 2 XL, OMG, what a dream. Prefer its handle to that of the Stretch 2 by a wide margin.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

TomAiello wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 9:43 am
I prefer it to the Native 5, and that's saying quite a lot.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Stretch all the way. Swell over points.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
navin johnson

Post by navin johnson »

My two most carried besides FFG Delica.

Stretch is a lock back PM2

Endela is a short Endura.

Stretch handle is gonna be a bit more comfortable for long or hard use but I don’t like the choil. (and I don’t use folders for hard use…. Either a fixed blade or utility knife for those purposes)

Endela is a better blade shape for how I use a folding knife….. Think cutting in space.

I carry the stretch for work and the Endela off work. If I could only have one design or would be the Endela

Both good and really similar
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

navin johnson wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 9:52 am
Endela is a better blade shape for how I use a folding knife….. Think cutting in space.
Ah, the ole astronaut knife
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

While the Stretch 1 is one of my favorite knives of all time, I didn't like the changes made for the 2, and like doing away with the iconic blade shape in the straight spine version even less. Endela any day between the two.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'll take any version of the Stretch over any midlock model that lacks a usable finger choil.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

I was watching my daughters rehearsal for a play yesterday. 7 hours sitting in the woods. I spent most of the time whittling sticks, alternating between the k390 stretch and k390 endela.

You can feel a difference in the hand, but even after the full day I’m hard pressed to say I like one better. I’m really starting to land on if you stole one from me I’d be ok with the other.

I’m trying to spend more time with the stretch to see if that still holds true since I’ve been biased towards endela in the past because I prefer delica over native.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

navin johnson wrote:

This is because of the lower tip right?
I always felt that the leafier shaped blades were better for "pocket knife" tasks - cutting rope in hand, opening boxes, getting into zipties and cutting them off, opening plastic blister packs, etc
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

z1r wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 2:19 pm
soc_monki wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 3:13 am
I voted endela because... I love it. Lol
I agree, and agree with Warstein's comments.

But, I think if one is contemplating one or the other, they owe it to themselves to try each in hand if possible. I prefer the Endela because it is more pocket friendly, fits my hand better, and is lighter. If the Stretch 2 fits your hand better, then get it! If you can't try them before you buy, hmm. I'm not sure what to recommend, well, that's not try, I'd recommend the Endela.

I prefer the Endela for an EDC knife, but do like my ZDP Stretch 2 as a skinning knife. The Stretch 2 XL, OMG, what a dream. Prefer its handle to that of the Stretch 2 by a wide margin.
I have a vg10 stretch and I like it a lot... Waiting on a stretch xl in K390... Lol still need to pick up an endela in K390... I also carry my endura a lot (in K390...).

I like the stretch handle, it's very comfortable and has solid ergos. Just something about the endela though...
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
z1r

Post by z1r »

If I had found the Endela early on in my Spyderco acquisition mode, it may have been the last knife I got, it suits me that well. Then I wouldn't have all these others just lying around, lol.
navin johnson

Post by navin johnson »

GarageBoy wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 2:55 pm
navin johnson wrote:

This is because of the lower tip right?
I always felt that the leafier shaped blades were better for "pocket knife" tasks - cutting rope in hand, opening boxes, getting into zipties and cutting them off, opening plastic blister packs, etc
Yes. I have an Endura that I shortened a bit to a near warnie and a RJ and am using and will have more straight blades in the future. I almost never cut on a surface with folders.