Confederate flag Spyderco Pride knife, custom order....

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
USA49786

Confederate flag Spyderco Pride knife, custom order....

Post by USA49786 »

Anyone know exactly how many of these Spyderco confederate flag pride knives were made? I was told 100 but I don't know that for sure. Any thoughts on value as well? :open-grin
Attachments
C3FBEE23-CCA6-4A3B-9556-03A6F6F297B0_1_105_c.jpeg
MournfulCongregant

Re: Confederate flag Spyderco Pride knife, custom order....

Post by MournfulCongregant »

I'll give ya a dollar for it...

Semi-related, cause I don't want to start my own thread just to say "Hey, this hole is big" and a lot of people will click on this thread.. I have a G-2 stainless Snap-It that looks to be from the same era, and I notice that hole is even bigger than on the Yojumbo or PM2, Military... it's the biggest Spyderco hole yet, and this looks to be just as big. Anyone with a Snap-It notice this? I know they re-did the knife and re-released it after a period of discontinuation... is the hole still the biggest Spydiehole?
Favorite Spydercos: Police 4 K390 LW, Sage 5 M4 LW, K390 wharncliffe D-fly, Cricket, Crucarta PM2, M4 Micarta Shaman, Dodo.
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

Can't see why anyone would want this. Not a legacy to celebrate. If someone wants to call me out for politics, well the confederate battle flag is inherently political.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

USA49786 wrote: Anyone know exactly how many of these Spyderco confederate flag pride knives were made? I was told 100 but I don't know that for sure. Any thoughts on value as well? :open-grin
I checked Spydiewiki to see if there was any information regarding the numbers of each different official flag variation but couldn’t find any specific numbers. There is mention of custom orders being possible with a minimum of 350 pieces per order but I do not know if that number also applied to Spydercos official variations.

The confederate flag Spyderco Pride was a custom order according to Spydiewiki, so there were at least 350 of them made.

https://www.spydiewiki.com/index.php?title=C72_Pride

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=62

Unfortunately, I do not know the current value for this knife. You can try searching ebay and filter through past sold listings to get a general idea for value. Also just a heads up, B/S/T is usually not allowed on this forum.

Hope that helps.
MournfulCongregant wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 3:46 pm
I'll give ya a dollar for it...

Semi-related, cause I don't want to start my own thread just to say "Hey, this hole is big" and a lot of people will click on this thread.. I have a G-2 stainless Snap-It that looks to be from the same era, and I notice that hole is even bigger than on the Yojumbo or PM2, Military... it's the biggest Spyderco hole yet, and this looks to be just as big. Anyone with a Snap-It notice this? I know they re-did the knife and re-released it after a period of discontinuation... is the hole still the biggest Spydiehole?
This is off topic and will lead to a discussion unrelated the original post. I do not want to derail this thread so soon. I would post this in the “General Spydie Chat thread” if you don’t want to start your own thread.
metaphoricalsimile wrote: Can't see why anyone would want this. Not a legacy to celebrate. If someone wants to call me out for politics, well the confederate battle flag is inherently political.
Though I agree with you, there is still collector value regardless of the flag on the knife.
-Nick :bug-red
Nice marmot

Post by Nice marmot »

metaphoricalsimile wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 3:59 pm
Can't see why anyone would want this. Not a legacy to celebrate. If someone wants to call me out for politics, well the confederate battle flag is inherently political.
Agree. I’d never own it, and I’d throw it in the trash if it was given to me.
MournfulCongregant

Post by MournfulCongregant »

@Mushroom, found that thread right after this one.

If I had the knife, I would use it as a household cutter and probably try and mod it. It's still a nice hollow-ground blade of AUS-6, in fact, what knife is this? Is this a specific model?
Favorite Spydercos: Police 4 K390 LW, Sage 5 M4 LW, K390 wharncliffe D-fly, Cricket, Crucarta PM2, M4 Micarta Shaman, Dodo.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

metaphoricalsimile wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 3:59 pm
Well, lets see if a Moderator Warning is coming your way.

They gave me one for noting the other day that B.J. Pen was running for office, and now all of my posts are moderated.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

USA49786 wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:19 pm
Anyone know exactly how many of these Spyderco confederate flag pride knives were made? I was told 100 but I don't know that for sure. Any thoughts on value as well? (It's available if anyone is interested) :open-grin
Lets see if you don't get a Moderator Warning for posting that knife which is a POLITICAL STATEMENT.

I managed to get a Moderator Warning for saying there were still outlets selling Confederate apparel that sold Spyderco Knives.

Maybe the Moderators are even handed. Let's find out.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Naperville,

You've been here long enough to know what we do. :winking-tongue

"Talking Story"

When I came up with the idea to make a series of knives that could be sold in Airports like the international spoons available in most airports, I thought it was a great innovation. I designed a slip-joint model of a blade length that would be available and legal all over the globe. Peter, our R&D manager, worked his *** off and designed all of the custom flags for all of the countries and possible customs, for clubs and other possibilities. We worked with our maker in Seki for quite a while to develop the design. We thought we had a winner! Just goes to show.

After we tooled up to the model and ordered all of the flags to be used, 9/11 happened and put the kabosh on our plans. Oh well, you can't win them all.

sal
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I didn’t realise the Pride models were slip-joints! Oh, well.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Man, it's hard to remember a time when a small-enough knife could be traveled with. A good idea if we still had that.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

I think its fantastic, love it! just like I love my dukes of Hazard General Lee models.
Id gladly own it, nice score mate.
No idea on the history but its a charming little knife, thanks for sharing the pics and welcome aboard
Spicy Suplex

Post by Spicy Suplex »

Naperville wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 9:47 pm
I managed to get a Moderator Warning for saying there were still outlets selling Confederate apparel that sold Spyderco Knives.

As a fairly new collector and Spyderco nut, I do appreciate when more seasoned members point things like this out for me. FWIW.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Maybe a Benedict Arnold model, too, make a whole series of knives commemorating treason?

EDIT: But seriously, if Spyderco makes a confederate themed knife, I'm buying all future knives elsewhere.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

dj moonbat wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 7:41 pm
Maybe a Benedict Arnold model, too, make a whole series of knives commemorating treason?

EDIT: But seriously, if Spyderco makes a confederate themed knife, I'm buying all future knives elsewhere.
I'd buy a 4th of July knife :rofl :rofl

:usflag :bug-red
SG89

Post by SG89 »

dj moonbat wrote:

Technically they already did…
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

It's just a flag...

I personally don't support it, but I also don't get offended by it. There's a lot of history tied to it, and not all of it is bad. I'm not pressing my luck in this thread, just a random guys opinion.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Probably best to close this thread.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

dj moonbat wrote:

Both Pres. Lincoln & Pres. Jackson issued presidential pardons and clemency for soldiers that served in the Confederacy in 1863 & 1868. So how about everyone realizing that was a wee bit ago and times have changed. Southerners really get tired about hearing how "Horrible" the South was and the racism/slavery issues of the North get glossed over.

Moving on

I remember seeing magazine ads with several different flags. I'm curious how many/what flags there were?
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

What's funny is that flag was never an official banner of the Confederacy.

It originates from a square battle flag flown by Gen. Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia during the Civil War.

Read all about it and see the evolution of the historical Confederate flags at the LA Times:

https://www.latimes.com/visuals/graphic ... story.html