First Post - Where to get pivot screw for Dragonfly

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jamison55

First Post - Where to get pivot screw for Dragonfly

Post by Jamison55 »

Love Spyderco knives. I currently have a PM2, PM3, Spyopera, Ikuchi, Manix 2 LW, Techno, SpidieChef, Native 5 LW, Brouwer, McBee, Tenacious, I have bought and traded many others…needless to say I’m a fan of the artistic and often irreverent approach Spyderco takes to making functional and beautiful tools.

I bought my wife a Dragonfly…well two actually…she lost the first one. And somehow lost the pivot screw to the second one.

Which brings me to my dissatisfaction with Spyderco service. I’ve called, and been unable to reach a live person, so I’ve left messages…I’ve sent emails…I can’t get a response from anyone to save my life.

I just want to buy a new pivot screw so my wife can enjoy her knife again. I’m willing to pay for it…and for shipping. Heck, I’ve even tried to source them from third party sellers on Etsy and EBay. Nobody seems to be selling hardware for dragonflies. Though il all set if I ever need hardware for just about all of my other Spidies.

Just feeling really frustrated here…hope someone can help!
Michael Janich

Re: First Post - Where to get pivot screw for Dragonfly

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Jamison55:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Take a photo of your knife pointing to the missing screw with a pencil or something similar. Email it to customerservice@spyderco.com and ask them to please send you a replacement screw. Make sure to include your shipping address.

Stay safe,

Mike
Jamison55

Post by Jamison55 »

Thanks Mike. I’ll give it a try :)
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Just wanted to say hello and welcome!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
bgcameron

Post by bgcameron »

Michael Janich wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 6:58 am
Dear Jamison55:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Take a photo of your knife pointing to the missing screw with a pencil or something similar. Email it to customerservice@spyderco.com and ask them to please send you a replacement screw. Make sure to include your shipping address.

Stay safe,

Mike
I have a similar issue, but with a horrible clip screw on my Dragonfly (why do so many of these come with deformed clip screw heads?). I emailed customer service and they told me to email sfo@spyderco.com in order to purchase one. Wouldn't this be a warranty issue?
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear bgcameron:

I don't know what your actual communication was with customer service, but being specific makes all the difference. If a customer contacts warranty repair and says "I need a new clip," they will be directed to SFO, as that is one of their functions. If you send in a photo pointing to a Torx screw that has a poorly shaped head due to a manufacturing flaw and describe it as such, it should be considered a warranty issue.

Unfortunately, it is not uncommon for customers to use the wrong tool and/or wrong technique when tightening their clip screws. This can easily strip the star-shaped recess in the Torx heads of the screws. That is not a warranty issue. That's why clear communication--ideally supported by a photo--helps a lot in defining the exact issue and receiving the appropriate service.

Stay safe,

Mike
bgcameron

Post by bgcameron »

Michael Janich wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 6:58 am
Dear bgcameron:

I don't know what your actual communication was with customer service, but being specific makes all the difference. If a customer contacts warranty repair and says "I need a new clip," they will be directed to SFO, as that is one of their functions. If you send in a photo pointing to a Torx screw that has a poorly shaped head due to a manufacturing flaw and describe it as such, it should be considered a warranty issue.

Unfortunately, it is not uncommon for customers to use the wrong tool and/or wrong technique when tightening their clip screws. This can easily strip the star-shaped recess in the Torx heads of the screws. That is not a warranty issue. That's why clear communication--ideally supported by a photo--helps a lot in defining the exact issue and receiving the appropriate service.

Stay safe,

Mike
I thought I was specific enough, and I included some photos. I'll try again.
EDIT-This is the response I got:
Please send in your knife for warranty evaluation, knives determined to have warranty issues are generally replaced.
Really?! Replace the whole knife because of a bad screw?
edit#2- All is well after a phone call to SFO! Got a new screw on the way.
Last edited by bgcameron on Wed May 04, 2022 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jamison55

Post by Jamison55 »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 12:01 pm
Thank you Larry!

Got a response from customer service this time, and a screw is on the way. So thanks again for the help!

Now to see if I can find a lil native to add to the collection!
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Jamison55 wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 4:54 pm
legOFwhat? wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 12:01 pm
Thank you Larry!

Got a response from customer service this time, and a screw is on the way. So thanks again for the help!

Now to see if I can find a lil native to add to the collection!
Bunch of enablers here :winking-tongue , but more than that, they're great folks who are intelligent and helpful.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Joshuaroyce

Post by Joshuaroyce »

I’ve had no issues with getting customer service to send me replacement screws when they get stripped or lost. Unfortunately the dragonfly is the most disappointing knife I have experienced from spyderco.