Dreaming of a Jester XL

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JRinFL

Re: Dreaming of a Jester XL

Post by JRinFL »

The tip jimping makes sense up to and including Dragonfly sized knives. Beyond that size the shape of the blade no longer functions like the Jester as most users will not be able to put their index finger that far forward. Vivi and Giant are exceptions, of course.

And, before some jump in to say "you can put your finger forward on any blade", I would say that there is a difference in something designed for it vs one that merely allows for it.

Edited for grammar and typos
Last edited by JRinFL on Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
austrian_spyder_fan

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

Welcome Another Guy.
I started a similar thread Last year:
viewtopic.php?t=88500

ASF
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

A proper description of it for me would be making the jester xl in the middle of the size of a delica, and a normal jester/ladybug or manbug. I think of it as like same intentions of creating the endela.. looking at both the jester and delica in hand, they share a lot of the same design similarities, most prominently it’s lack of a index finger choil, and three very naturally curved scallops supporting your fingers grip. Maybe the jester xl then supports 3 and half fingers, instead of 2 and half ?
:bug-red-white
Current “dream collection” of knives
temperance 1, lil temperance 1 serrated leaf, black micarta calypso jr & calypso, cocobolo kopa, stainless serrated harpy, stainless cricket
bleasure

Post by bleasure »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:14 pm
The tip jimping makes sense up to and including Dragonfly sized knives
I agree. I think it would be useful, and keeping the jimping on a d-fly sized version would make this an even more distinctly Jester-esque, unique, and attractive knife. Sometimes I find myself pinching the blade of my DF2 choked up like a pencil for any fine carving or cuts I'm putting it too, here as well I feel the Jester 's blade would excel, and a little jimping up there would give me better grip. Would make it a fair to decent whittler
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Sounds awsome
"Some call me...Tim?"
JesterXL

Post by JesterXL »

I think you may be on to something ;)
I didn't know about Ocelot but that is pretty close to what I had in mind. I'm thinking a thicker blade stock to provide a good landing spot for a finger on the forward jimping. Length wise I'm imagining something maybe a bit smaller than the Delica so that an average index finger or thumb would ride along the jimping when extended. A nice hollow grind would allow it to come to a fine edge.
Basically, I envision a small but beefy EDC that offers a lot of fine control of a robust tip while still having a good belly for slicing. That being said, I'm here for whatever Spyderco does with the model, as long as they continue it.
30 :bug-red-white 's
Models: Manix 2, Manix 2 XL, Lil’ Native, Native 5, Native Chief, Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Caly 3.5, Stretch 2 LW, Stretch 2 XL, PM2, Delica 4, Endura 4, Astute, Chaparral, Dragonfly 2, Ladybug, Manbug, Jester
Steels: 15V, LC200N, S30V, S90V, Maxamet, K390, 8Cr13MoV, VG-10, HAP-40, Rex 45, M4, CruWear, XHP, 204P, ZDP-189, 4V
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear JesterXL:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
lilshaver

Post by lilshaver »

Another Guy wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:52 am
JRinFL wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:21 am
If it would work, I would not be opposed to a Jester blade shape in a Dragonfly handle.
Yes! Proven ergonomics of the Dragonfly handle, perhaps stretched out a bit, plus the function and character of a 2.5 inch Jester blade. Yes, please!
Just as the jester blade was put in a ladybug handle putting a larger jester design blade into a dragonfly handle would certainly have its advantages. We know that a new knife takes a long tine and much effort from design to production not to mention cost. This path would cut both time and cost considerably to produce a very nice knife. :thinking