Blade HQ M4/Micarta Shaman

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
curlyhairedboy

Re: Blade HQ M4/Micarta Shaman

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Rinzler wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:56 am
I’m reconsidering my aversion to this model because I really want those scales. I’m gonna buy it, strip the scales, and resell the scale-less knife.
i'm also more into it for the scales.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

This is about as tempting of a Shaman as there can be for me.. I already have a Shaman.. must resist..

Hah, we'll see how that goes..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

I really wish there would be more clearer pics of the scales...I don't know if I really have bad eyes, but all the pics so far show it as just another muddled shade of brown to me. Hoping it would have more prominent green tones to distinguish it from the other Micarta Shamans.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Rinzler wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:56 am
I’m reconsidering my aversion to this model because I really want those scales. I’m gonna buy it, strip the scales, and resell the scale-less knife.
… I’m pretty sure you could buy a slab of micarta from USA Knife maker if you really just wanted to touch some. :winking-tongue
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

nerdlock wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:22 pm
I really wish there would be more clearer pics of the scales...I don't know if I really have bad eyes, but all the pics so far show it as just another muddled shade of brown to me. Hoping it would have more prominent green tones to distinguish it from the other Micarta Shamans.
Green canvas micarta tends to darken into olive drab over time. It’s still different from natural canvas, which darkens to a more reddish brown.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Why not just get aftermarket Micarta scales if you just want the scales?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

GarageBoy wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:12 am
Why not just get aftermarket Micarta scales if you just want the scales?

I'm just guessing but it seems to me that all the custom scales are flat slabs and lack the thicker contouring that the factory scales have which to me is a major turn off.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Any ideas on the date of the drop?...
Danke

Post by Danke »

nerdlock wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:22 pm
Blade HQ usually posts some beauty pics on their Instagram a few weeks before the release.
dan31

Post by dan31 »

If this green micarta M4 makes it to the Native and Native Chief, I will bite on both and maybe buy 2 each. Waiting…
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

dan31 wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:15 pm
If this green micarta M4 makes it to the Native and Native Chief, I will bite on both and maybe buy 2 each. Waiting…
Micarta has a lot of flex without liners... It's possible if they resurrect the lined Native, but I'm not sure the Chief would ever see micarta without the addition of liners or some sort of lamination. Golden went as far to add full width liners to the PM2 to accommodate the micarta flex, so anything is possible.
Teddy0215

Post by Teddy0215 »

I’ve been trying for a micarta/tool steel Shaman for years now, but always miss out. Having the Crucarta PM2 for several months now hasn’t satisfied the urge. I love the PM2 Crucarta still, but the Shaman will fill a different role.

Really hope I don’t miss this one. Maybe they will release the date/time before it drops?
Slightly obsessed…
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

No Shaman to hold at the SFO when I stopped by. This might be a game time decision depending on when it is released. By pics it looks very close.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

OH NOES!

WANT.

I got the Z-Wear & micarta Shaman because of the combo (and because it was offered to me by a helpful member after I failed to get one on my own…) and I loved it! I really didn’t expect to. And now THIS? I still really like M4. The only downside is that when it corrodes, it tends to pit where other steels just begin to stain. So you choose which day to carry it, don’t use it for yard work or the beach.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

abbazaba wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:27 pm
This would be a much welcomed theme over the Jade G10! Let's keep the "M4arta" party going with some more golden models!
Oh my. I read that as “M-farta” :winking-tongue
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Thank you for acknowledging my joke! :)
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

troutinCO wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:39 am
No Shaman to hold at the SFO when I stopped by. This might be a game time decision depending on when it is released. By pics it looks very close.
I hadn’t held a Shaman before when I ordered my Zwear, but I new I liked the Native and I new I liked Cruwear + Micarta. I’ve never regretted it.

The shaman has the best ergonomics of the mid-size Spydercos I’ve had the pleasure of handling. The contoured scales are wonderful, and the thick blade stock gives a really satisfying thunk when opening + closing. It’s a bit heavy, but still makes it’s way into my pocket at least once/week.

Xformer

Post by Xformer »

+1 on the Shaman being an amazing knife. I was cold to it, but it almost replaced my PM2. Almost. I still carry it 50% of the time. I use my knife quite hard and the Shaman inspire confidence.

I'm broke for the next few months, so no knife for me but I'd have snagged one in an earth beat. Priorities though =P
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

do we have a time for the drop yet?
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
lilshaver

Post by lilshaver »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:04 am
do we have a time for the drop yet?
Sorry we are all still impatiently waiting. :grimace