What's your "dream" spyderco? What combo of design/materials would you love to see?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Giygas

Re: What's your "dream" spyderco? What combo of design/materials would you love to see?

Post by Giygas »

VashHash wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:43 am
Deadboxhero wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:09 am
a knife in CPM 15V with custom heat treatment.
I feel like you're trying to tell us something. Is it finally ready?
I'm choosing to believe he is, and it is.
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
Tristan_david2001

Re: What's your "dream" spyderco? What combo of design/materials would you love to see?

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

Superblue Caly 3.5 is my dream spyderco folding knife. So if they put that back into production, that’ll be good. I’m really not that picky with the steel choice, but I really like Japanese exotic steels that patina and hold a good edge. Doesn’t need to be superblue. But something like that I’d be most happy with. If I could choose the handle I’d still pick gray g10, but I wouldn’t be opposed to something else like micarta. Also I think giving a slight radius to the handle scales would be a really nice improvement, but a small detail.
The kopa!? Also bring back the kopa. This is pretty much the little-big knife version in the Caly series and I think it’s a shame this is not a more generally popular small edc knife, and was only in production as sprint run variants aimed towards collectors, because this design is really a great platform. I think they could refine it a bit by keeping the handle the same length but adding a little more useable edge length to blade, I always thought it was a tiny bit short. Just little cqi design refinements I would love to see be made with high performing blade steel, and ss bolstered g10
:bug-red-white
cjk

Post by cjk »

My Spyderco (pipe) dream list:

1.) Brouwer salt
Same design, but materials changes.
LC200n lock bar insert and show side liner. Coated hardware, ceramic detent ball, Titanium clip like Caribbean Salt. LC200N blade. Show side G-10 scale made out of the same G-10 as the Caribbean Salt (black/yellow) or lime green (like C223GNGRBK). I would also like the Spydie hole to be a bit smaller since a lot of it is recessed into the knife when closed anyway.

2.) Kapara salt
Particularly since this was designed as a folding kitchen knife.
Exactly the same design, but materials changes.
LC200N liners, LC200N blade, coated hardware, same coated wire clip as SpydieChef, ceramic detent ball. Yellow and Black G-10 handle like the Caribbean Salt or the lime green G-10 like C223GNGRBK.

A small to medium Spyderco grey titanium Taichung backlock is one of the things on my want list. Here are a couple options:

3.) Chaparral titanium
Handle made of titanium slabs finished like a SpydieChef. This one could get salted too, but I do really like XHP. I am aware of the previous three titanium Chaparral models with the impressive milling and have two of those models. I really just want the flat plain grey titanium.

4a.) Sage 4 (the backlock) in titanium
A simpler Sage 4 "reissue" of sorts. The Sage 4 was a short and expensive run. Secondary market prices are crazy, especially considering that I'd want to carry and use it which would devalue it. I almost never see them for sale.
I'd like a Sage 4 with solid SpydieChef-like titanium slabs for the handle materials.

(4b.) Sage 4 with G-10 handles like other Sage models I think that a Sage 4 with full steel liners and G-10 scales like the Sage 1, 3, or 5 would be super OK too. Preferably forest green G-10. I would have no objections to this being salted like all of the others above.

5.) Brouwer 2.0
I'd prefer the wire clip over the hourglass one. Locate the clip first and the lanyard hole second. Just a smidge longer. Make the blade a little closer to 3 inches. Make the Spydie hole a little smaller. Keep the forest green G-10 show side. Preferably use a different steel than s30v. Magnacut, LC200n, or XHP would be great.
~
~
~
Last edited by cjk on Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:42 am
I'd like a matte OD Green Micarta Endela with Delta 3V blade.

I'm going to update this to make it a Wharncliffe blade. I have really come to love the wharnie over the past 6 months of carrying Delica and Endura wharnies.

So updating to "Matte OD Green Micarta Endela Wharnie with Delta 3V blade"
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

A 1.2X Schempp Bowie would immediately become my favorite knife, especially if reduced to an even thinner 2mm blade stock. In fact, I'd consider almost any of my Spydercos to be better knives if they had 0.5-1.0 mm thinner blades.

My ideal Spyderco would have:
-- 4-inch blade with as much edge as practical, slight belly, slight thumb ramp with no jimping, acute tip
-- Magnacut with Salt hardware
-- As high a polish as Magnacut will take
-- Plain edge
-- No thicker than 2.5 mm blade stock, and thinner, if practical
-- Linerless, neutrally shaped, white FRN handle
-- Handle-forward design with backlock
-- Semi-deep-carry stonewashed Ti clip (semi-deep because I don't want it sticking out beyond the handle)
-- All FRN edges rounded, blade spine crowned, hole edges lightly chamfered.
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

PM2 sized Native 5 with a compression lock =D
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

This is easy:

Left Handed Paramilitary 2 XL in K390 with light purple G10 scales.

Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I've given great thought to the following, even started a thread to see what people thought of a Spyderco Native Chief XL folder that would be right around a 5 inch blade. Although the idea did not take off, I'd love to see a fixed blade of the exact same profile and shape, but in a fixed blade, if not a folder. I still think it's an excellent idea.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Xformer wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:26 pm
I believe that’s called a Shaman!
benben

Post by benben »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:09 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:42 am
I'd like a matte OD Green Micarta Endela with Delta 3V blade.

I'm going to update this to make it a Wharncliffe blade. I have really come to love the wharnie over the past 6 months of carrying Delica and Endura wharnies.

So updating to "Matte OD Green Micarta Endela Wharnie with Delta 3V blade"
Sign me up!
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:49 pm
Xformer wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:26 pm
I believe that’s called a Shaman!
Yes and no. The Shaman is a very good knife, but it's a hard-use knife. A longer Native 5 would be lighter with a thinner edge.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Still patiently awaiting a Maxamet Military. :woozy
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
chkn

Post by chkn »

I used to have all kind of "dream" Spydercos but once the Mule Team dropped (and then returned) it's displaced a lot of those by offering a near perfect design (IMO) in a ton of different steels with a wide variety of scale handles thanks to Halpern Titanium. There's still two I'd love to see though:

Temperence 2 in Magnacut, not sure what kind of handle scales because I think the original brown ones were perfect

Schempp Bowie with bronzed titanium bolster, peel ply carbon fiber scales and M390/20CV or S90V steel
setldown

Post by setldown »

Micro Dyad with K390 and black pearl, snakewood, desert ironwood or maple burl scales.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:38 am
Still patiently awaiting a Maxamet Military. :woozy
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

Pacific Salt 2 Wharncliffe
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:45 am
Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha! 😎
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin