The Carry Conundrum

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
z1r

Re: The Carry Conundrum

Post by z1r »

What to carry is sorta like the which steel is best thread. The only wrong answer is, no knife.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:44 am
I have the opposite problem, I try to carry something and keep circling back around to the same one. I've had days where I put a knife in my pocket and before I'm out the door I've turned around and gone back to switch it out for the one I carry the most.

I have this problem with the ARK. I often try to pocket one of my folders, walk out the door, then go right back inside and grab the ARK. The ARK is a good knife to pair with other knives, as well. I've had to force myself to carry other models lately.
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:44 am
I have the opposite problem, I try to carry something and keep circling back around to the same one. I've had days where I put a knife in my pocket and before I'm out the door I've turned around and gone back to switch it out for the one I carry the most.
I can relate to this. I have a fair number of folders I can choose to carry outside of work, but almost always end up carrying a Yojimbo 2. I think it's largely a function of muscle memory & familiarity, more than being uninterested in other models—I use a Yojimbo 2 as my primary work knife, so it makes functional sense for me to EDC it as well.

I will carry something specific depending on the situation, though, like say a Caribbean if I'm spending time in the soggy outdoors, or a Dragonfly 2 or Li'l Native if I need to be extra discreet.
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

Usually a Native or Lil Native but lately a Stretch 2 and Dragonfly both in K390. It’s been awhile since I’ve carried anything but backlocks.
billdoier72

Post by billdoier72 »

I'm a N5 guy myself.

Although I have quite a few Spyderco knives, the N5 LW sees more pocket time by far than any other.
Attachments
native5.jpg
Delica 4 VG10 - Dragonfly 2 K390 Warnnie - Chaparral CTS-XHP - Native 5 M4/Rex/45/4v - Para 3 CTS-BD1/Maaxamet/4V/20CV - Lil Native - Cruwear - Sage 5 S30V - Jester 4V
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

On a day of work, no problem.
Otherwise, when I am going to a family meeting, or away for a couple days to a week, this is a terrible problem.
I often end-up bringing three knives on me and sometimes 1 or 2 in my bag.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
SchoonerBum

Post by SchoonerBum »

I almost always walk out the door with my Pac Salt, but I just picked up a ladybug-flavored Endura from DLT and a Rockjumper and there is stiff competition among those three now. A Street Beat and SAK usually live in my bag if I'm carrying one.

Before I found Spyderco I just carried a Mora and SAK in my bag all the time and didn't have to make decisions about it. :winking-tongue
Skar

Post by Skar »

I don't know how to attach pics here... but
I carry whatever pops out to me, I'm in a millie mood right now.
Before that the caribean, I frequently grab para 3.

Some times I have certain activities that call for a salt being in the water all day.
Carry what makes you feel good.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Skar wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:54 pm
I don't know how to attach pics here... but
I carry whatever pops out to me, I'm in a millie mood right now.
Before that the caribean, I frequently grab para 3.

Some times I have certain activities that call for a salt being in the water all day.
Carry what makes you feel good.
This has been the easiest way to pay pics for me (link below). Bookmark the page, upload, them click Direct Link. Use the pic button that shows up in the preview post window. Click that button after clicking direct link on the other page and the cursor is centered and ready to paste. Preview your message so you know it's there. Do it a few times and it becomes second nature.

viewtopic.php?t=83968
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I never have that problem. I take the knives in my EDC rotation, lay them out on the table and mix them up in random order. I put them in my case in that order then Monday I pick the first one in the list, Wednesday or Thursday I pick the second one, the next Monday I pick the third one, ... They all get carried equally that way.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

The Deacon wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:59 am
My choice almost always comes down to which of my dozen or more versions of the Stretch is going to ride in my back pocket and which of my 70+ versions of the Kiwi is going to ride in my watch pocket.
Hey Paul, you might have posted this before but I was wondering if you have any photos of your entire kiwi collection? That was a neat project and you’ve probably got the most complete collection in existence. It would be nice to see some photos of the collection and some closeups of the individual pieces.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

My “collection” is about 50/50 between g10 and frn but for the last several years I almost NEVER carry any of the G10 models. So I guess that helps narrow it down. Haha. The only G10 model I carry with frequency is my Siren and I’m sure if there was an frn version of that then I would end up carrying that over the g10 version. Spyderco’s frn is really hard to beat for my use.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Every single day...my sock drawer is full of choices 🤣
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

You know. I don't make this choice daily. I tend to carry one knife for "a while" then get in the mood to change to something else.

One thing I would not want to do, if I was trying to get ready to leave for work on a schedule (while is not my lifestyle any longer, but ....). Anyway I would not want to be deciding in the midst of the morning rush what knife to carry.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Lately it has been either a PM2 or a Manix.

My ruby red Manix with 20CV has been getting a lot of mileage lately. Either than or the Rex-45 PM2 in burnt orange.
cjk

Post by cjk »

I carry a Brouwer most often.

First of all and most importantly, it's an excellent and tough little cutter. It does everything I need a knife to do. Nice enough to be "gentlemanly". Small enough to fit in any pocket. It's not the least bit scary looking; it would be "grandpa approved". Excellent ergonomics. Very adequate handle for my hands with or without the choil. Grippy G-10 on one side and smooth titanium on the clip side. With smooth Ti on the clip side, it slips right into the pocket with ease. No pockets get shredded. It takes up a minimum of pocket space since it's not tall for a Spyderco. It's not wide in the pocket and is never in the way. A Delica seems huge in the pocket by comparison. It's a very adequate tool for most situations. I also really like the green. The only thing I'd change is that I wish the show side scale didn't have clip screw holes.

Otherwise, it's a Delica, a Delica-sized Salt 2, Chaparral, or a G-10 Para 3. I usually end up carrying or playing with one or more of these for awhile each day. I get a lot of use out of the two Salt 2s since I have no concerns about their corroding or their replaceability. There are others, but these are the usual suspects.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Surfingringo wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:55 pm
Hey Paul, you might have posted this before but I was wondering if you have any photos of your entire kiwi collection? That was a neat project and you’ve probably got the most complete collection in existence. It would be nice to see some photos of the collection and some closeups of the individual pieces.

Hi Lance, well here's a shot of all the different ones. It's not really the entire collection, because I have "pre-need replacements" for most of the production versions. ;)

kiwi_group_shot.JPG

For the individual shots, you can start here and work your way through them.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Incredible collection!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

The "Carry Conundrum" is real! Throw other brands into the mix and forget about it! Hah, sometimes I feel like the hardest decision I face is picking a knife to carry for the day! I try to give every new knife at least a solid week of carry when I first get it.. otherwise I pick the day's carry based on anticipated tasks, weather/season, events/locations, etc. Usually, I just end up carrying whatever knife strikes my fancy on a given day haha!

The one constant for me is that there is always.. always.. a Spyderco Jester or Manbug in my left front pocket. Makes me feel like less of a traitor for stepping out on Spyderco with other brands haha..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

The Deacon wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:04 pm
Surfingringo wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:55 pm

Hi Lance, well here's a shot of all the different ones. It's not really the entire collection, because I have "pre-need replacements" for most of the production versions. ;)

kiwi_group_shot.JPG

For the individual shots, you can start here and work your way through them.
That is an awesome picture Paul! I got into Spyderco just after the Kiwi was discontinued. I've always liked the model, but never got a chance to pick one up..maybe some day! Great collection you have there!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..