2,000-Year-Old Roman Dagger

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
knivesandbooks

Re: 2,000-Year-Old Roman Dagger

Post by knivesandbooks »

James Y wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:44 pm
When I visited The House of Seven Gables in Massachusetts, I recall the rooms were small and cramped, and the furnishings, utensils, and everything in it, were tiny. The tour guide said that back in the Colonial days, the average person was much smaller, due to the nutrition back then, etc.

My grandpa (dad's side) from Japan, 1871 to 1951, was over 6' tall. Extremely tall for a Japanese of that time period; he was even taller and larger than many Europeans and Euro-Americans back then. My mom's dad (1893 to 1986), also from Japan, was my height, 5' 9", which was also very tall for a Japanese during that period. There are always going to be exceptions to the norm.

Jim
Off topic, but imagine the things seen and experienced between 1871 and 1951. Amazing.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
James Y

Post by James Y »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:58 pm
James Y wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:44 pm
When I visited The House of Seven Gables in Massachusetts, I recall the rooms were small and cramped, and the furnishings, utensils, and everything in it, were tiny. The tour guide said that back in the Colonial days, the average person was much smaller, due to the nutrition back then, etc.

My grandpa (dad's side) from Japan, 1871 to 1951, was over 6' tall. Extremely tall for a Japanese of that time period; he was even taller and larger than many Europeans and Euro-Americans back then. My mom's dad (1893 to 1986), also from Japan, was my height, 5' 9", which was also very tall for a Japanese during that period. There are always going to be exceptions to the norm.

Jim
Off topic, but imagine the things seen and experienced between 1871 and 1951. Amazing.

Absolutely. Incredible changes in that relatively short time span.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Sorry, this is going further OT, but I found this interesting:

What Did the Vikings Look Like?

Vikings are often depicted as giant-sized men, but the average height was nothing special by today's standards, although they were very robust.

https://skjalden.com/what-did-the-vikings-look-like/

Jim