Ikuchi XL

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Ikuchi XL

Yes, I would buy it.
19%
No, I wouldn't buy it.
25%
S30V
5%
S90V
8%
CTS-XHP
13%
CruWear
8%
LC200N
8%
20CV
5%
M4
5%
204P
5%

Total votes: 101

MyelinSheath&Borborygmi

Ikuchi XL

Post by MyelinSheath&Borborygmi »

Hey guys, would you buy Ikuchi XL if it existed? If yes, what steel would you like it to be in? I already have 2 pieces of Ikuchi (I love this knife) and I'd want CTS-XHP and LC200N Ikuchi XL with SE variants available. I think these are the most realistic ones we could get. What about you? Also, what handle scales would you want?
ZrowsN1s

Re: Ikuchi XL

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Still waiting on a sprint or exclusive run of the original.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

A poll with no Magnacut option? This design works well in its current form, not sure about an XL. I voted No, but I'm curious to see where this goes.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'd be very interested. The ikuchi caught my eye despite being pretty different from my usual carry, but in the end I decided it's a little small for me. XL version would certainly have my attention.
:unicorn
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I like XL knives. I might buy one if it were made. I said YES, with XHP, S90V, 20CV, 204P, and S30V.

I petitioned for a Native Chief XL in this forum and there was some support, but many came out against it. Not sure why XL versions cause people to post negative feedback. I'm not in favor of negative feedback.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i'm not really interested in the idea of this one, even though i really like big knives. i kind of feel like the ikuchi is just about perfect as it is for what it is. i'm not voting no though because i could see myself easily being swayed after seeing one in xl.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
chkn

Post by chkn »

Naperville wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:26 am
I petitioned for a Native Chief XL in this forum and there was some support, but many came out against it. Not sure why XL versions cause people to post negative feedback.
Pretty sure it's less about XL versions in general and more that the Native Chief is already a large knife. The Stretch 2 XL is probably my most favorite knife to release in the past year or so.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

chkn wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:39 am
Naperville wrote:
I petitioned for a Native Chief XL in this forum and there was some support, but many came out against it. Not sure why XL versions cause people to post negative feedback.
Pretty sure it's less about XL versions in general and more that the Native Chief is already a large knife. The Stretch 2 XL is probably my most favorite knife to release in the past year or so.
We shall see....
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Rymanz

Post by Rymanz »

Naperville wrote:
Not sure why XL versions cause people to post negative feedback. I'm not in favor of negative feedback.
A few reasons I can think of:

1) Most people don't have massive hands and these knives typically cater to a smaller population of the knife community
2) Not everyone can carry a large blade where they live
3) Not everyone wants a massive knife, for aesthetic or practicality reasons
4) The Ikuchi looks to have been designed to be a small, slim carry knife that is easily concealable in places like a shirt pocket, so making an XL variant doesn't really stick to the original intent of the designer

That said, people are allowed to have differing opinions. Gotta remember that we are in a bit of an echo chamber here and Spyderco has to be able to market and sell these variants. And I imagine since this was a collaborative design they would need buy-off from Paul Alexander.
:bug-red
Models: PM2, Endura 4, Chaparral, Para 3 LW, Rescue 3, Para 3, Shaman, Manix 2, Native 5
Steels: Elmax, S30V, XHP, 4V, VG-10, CPM CRU-WEAR, K390, Z-WEAR, S45VN, 204P, REX 45
cjk

Post by cjk »

I really dig the mechanicals and deployment method for the Ikuchi. I also like its extreme slimness in the pocket. I hope the engineering is re-used on future, more typical Spyderco-ey looking Spyderco models. It does look a bit stabby for general public use.

My question for the original poster would be, "how big is XL?". 4 inch blade? bigger?
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Folding filet size please.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Naperville wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:34 pm
chkn wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:39 am
Naperville wrote:
We shall see....
Unless it is through the intentions of the original designer, I’m no longer in favor of making any model larger or smaller. So for me it has nothing to do with XL or Lil’ versions in particular but it’s the role of playing “backseat designer” where my aversion comes from.
-Nick :bug-red
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I voted no.
1) I like XL knives in general, even with average-sized hands.
2) I like the Ikuchi enough that I bought one because I thought it would be the perfect lightweight, quick-opening, ambidextrous folder.
3) I sent it back because I couldn't get skilled enough with the flipping action. My limited experience with flippers is that I'm either going to be able to flip them easily, or I'm not. If I'm not good at flipping a particular knife, it defeats the purpose of having it. I was sad that this was the case with the Ikuchi. I bought the Mantra 2 instead, and I love it, but it's heavier, and not as elegant in my opinion.
4) I also didn't care for the feel of the Ikuchi in-hand. The handle felt nearly as wide as it did tall. I know it's really not, but it's relatively shorter for its thickness than I'm used to, so it didn't index quite as well as I'd like.
5) I think the Ikuchi is a spectacular knife, and I think an XL would be equally spectacular. But I wouldn't buy one.
MyelinSheath&Borborygmi

Post by MyelinSheath&Borborygmi »

cjk wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:08 pm
I really dig the mechanicals and deployment method for the Ikuchi. I also like its extreme slimness in the pocket. I hope the engineering is re-used on future, more typical Spyderco-ey looking Spyderco models. It does look a bit stabby for general public use.

My question for the original poster would be, "how big is XL?". 4 inch blade? bigger?
I see XL as 3.75-4 inch.
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

Not sure how Magnacut didn't make the poll. I would love a standard or XL (3.5" blade) with G10 and a different steel. Magnacut, Cruwear, 4V, XHP, M4, or S90V.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

MyelinSheath&Borborygmi wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:05 pm
cjk wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:08 pm

I see XL as 3.75-4 inch.
[+1]

I cannot lie, I like larger knives.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

XL with that thin blade in M4 would be swag.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Rymanz wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:55 pm
Naperville wrote:
Not sure why XL versions cause people to post negative feedback. I'm not in favor of negative feedback.
A few reasons I can think of:

1) Most people don't have massive hands and these knives typically cater to a smaller population of the knife community
2) Not everyone can carry a large blade where they live
3) Not everyone wants a massive knife, for aesthetic or practicality reasons
4) The Ikuchi looks to have been designed to be a small, slim carry knife that is easily concealable in places like a shirt pocket, so making an XL variant doesn't really stick to the original intent of the designer

That said, people are allowed to have differing opinions. Gotta remember that we are in a bit of an echo chamber here and Spyderco has to be able to market and sell these variants. And I imagine since this was a collaborative design they would need buy-off from Paul Alexander.
I'm not a big guy, 5'-8", and due to my effort I should be down 50lbs by Fall.

I live in Illinois, and as far as I know there is no outright law banning the carry of a 4 or 5 inch blade, there are laws on the books that would make a criminal offense a felony with a 4+ inch blade. But I do not plan on breaking the law. But yea, I hear you.

I like large knives. I think my sweet spot is 3.75 to 4.5 blades fixed or folders.

The designer may not have been asked yet what he/she thinks of a larger blade.

I'm interested in knives. The more the merrier!
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I did buy an Ikuchi in spite of its shortcomings, and I do like it even though I almost never carry it. I prefer larger knives, but I'd pass on this one.
jegred2

Post by jegred2 »

Only if it’s made in Japan. How do you go naming a knife after a Japanese sea monster and not make it in Japan?