@Larrin: Sandvik 7C27Mo2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

@Larrin: Sandvik 7C27Mo2

Post by Doc Dan »

I wonder about this steel. I had never heard of it and then read mention of it in an article about something else. I understood it is used in electric razors, or something. What are its characteristics? Would it make a good knife steel? Why haven't we seen it?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JD Spydo

Re: @Larrin: Sandvik 7C27Mo2

Post by JD Spydo »

Well Larrin thank you so much for mentioning one of the Sandvik blade steels. Over the years I've owned two knives that I was told had Sandvik steel blades and I liked them both. The Sandvik company may not be as celebrated as Crucible or Carpenter but I still think they make a great product overall.

I'm not familiar with any of their newer products but they convinced me that the Swedish people make some really good, high quality blade steel material. Sandvik through the years have also made other high quality tools and supplies as well. I've never heard anything bad about that company.
cali

Post by cali »

It is more or less 420HC.
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

Yes it’s a variant of 420 with a Mo addition.
http://www.KnifeSteelNerds.com - Steel Metallurgy topics related to knives
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

cali wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:02 am
It is more or less 420HC.
That's interesting because I have a couple of BUCK knives that have that 420HC steel. And it's not bad at all. Not as good as some of the steels made by Crubible, Carpenter and Bohler Uddeholm>> but it's certainly a lot better than most blades you can buy at big discount stores.

Again I've been impressed with anything made by Sandvik. They are a good company with a good reputation.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Thanks Larrin! I've never heard of this steel. I had no idea Sandvik made such a thing. I wonder what the Mo does in the mix?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Molybdenum, like chromium, has an effect on the corrosion resistance of steel. Molybdenum can also increase the hardenability, toughness, and tensile strength of steel. It increases the hardenability by lowering the required quench rate during the heat treating process to make a strong and hard steel. Molybdenum can also reduce the risk of pitting in steel as it improves resistance to chloride induced corrosion.
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:26 am
Molybdenum, like chromium, has an effect on the corrosion resistance of steel. Molybdenum can also increase the hardenability, toughness, and tensile strength of steel. It increases the hardenability by lowering the required quench rate during the heat treating process to make a strong and hard steel. Molybdenum can also reduce the risk of pitting in steel as it improves resistance to chloride induced corrosion.
Yes
sal

Post by sal »

Crucible said that they added Moly to 154CM to reduce high temperature creep which they were experiencing in their fins on their jet engines. That was before Boeing they went to Titan fins.

We're planning on testing and using Sandvik's 19C.

sal
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

sal wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:53 pm
Crucible said that they added Moly to 154CM to reduce high temperature creep which they were experiencing in their fins on their jet engines. That was before Boeing they went to Titan fins.

sal
Well thats exciting, I've felt that 19C27 was a very underrated steel.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Thanks, everyone. I learn something new, here, everyday.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
sal

Post by sal »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:23 pm
sal wrote:

sal

Hey Shawn, I', sure you will help us learn. Any thoughts on Rc?

Larrin,

Wouldn't mind having your input early on. They're rolling it for us. We have no experience with the alloy, so we'll take anything you can offer?

We'll like to get the best out of it that we can.....for all of you.

I guess you are now part of the R&D team for "Real World Testing". I'm sure Eric and Morton already have many testing processes through which we put our materials. As with all of our materials, especially blade steels, we hope this one flavor taste's good.

sal
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

sal wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:09 am
Deadboxhero wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:23 pm
sal wrote:

sal

Hey Shawn, I', sure you will help us learn. Any thoughts on Rc?

Larrin,

Wouldn't mind having your input early on. They're rolling it for us. We have no experience with the alloy, so we'll take anything you can offer?

I guess you are now part of the R&D team for "Real World Testing". I'm sure Eric and Morton already have many testing processes through which we put our materials. As with all of our materials, especially blade steels, we hope this one flavor taste's good.

sal
Sal, I think it would be most exciting if it was run +62rc for better resistance to deformation to highlight its qualities at the edge but only if low retained austenite can be achieved.

Perhaps we can get some material sent to Dr. Larrin for more testing data?

-Shawn
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
lilshaver

Post by lilshaver »

You gentlemen make me feel like a kid standing outside a candy factory looking through the front window watching the candy being made. Inquiring minds want to know so thanks for the information.
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

sal wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:09 am
Larrin,

sal
Sure. I've done some heat treating experiments on 19C27 but my material is too thin for toughness and CATRA testing. I can help however you want.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

I had never even heard of 19C27. According to what I just read in sandvik's site, 19C27 is very wear resistant but not entirely corrosion resistant. It also sacrifices some edge stability due to larger carbide size.

To my largely ignorant self, it sounds like it would keep a working edge for a good long time, but might not be the best for acute edge angles. I definitely will monitor to see what smarter folks say/find.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Larrin,

Any heat treat tricks or optimal RC would help.

I guess the reason we never received our samples was because all of their steel was rolled thin for kitchen cutlery, so they never had any thicker stuff to send me. We had a Zoom meeting with them (Europe, New York, Golden, Kauai). Lots of stuff was worked through. Now time will tell.

sal
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

What does 19C27 steel bring to the table compared to VG-10?
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

That is just what I was going to ask.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
sal

Post by sal »

I think that is the question we're all going to ask....and learn?

"Talkin' Story";

Many years ago, we were touring the very impressive Masahiro factory. I asked Koji, the President, why his Daido made proprietary MBS-26 was able to punch so high above it's weight? He said they followed the meticulous heat treating instruction provided by Daido. This included heat treating in lead pots, which I watched. The secret" knowledge of the blade industry never ceases to amaze me.

sal